Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trevor Plouffe comparable . . . ?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trevor Plouffe comparable . . . ?

Rob Deer. Very low average with very good power. Massive L/R splits.

Pretty soon the "play every day" thing should probably be replaced with a platoon situation . . . if the Twins can find a lefty to do so . . .

Liked 3,169 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I'm not sure there's enough to proclaim much of anything about Plouffe at this point, good or bad. What I will say is, given current IF options, he's intriguing enough that he should be playing most every day so there's more to judge on over the winter.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post

Pretty soon the "play every day" thing should probably be replaced with a platoon situation . . . if the Twins can find a lefty to do so . . .
    It seems obvious, Joe Mauer?

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    To Mark Reynolds of the Os, but with a worse eye, plate discipline and (therefore) worse OB%. Both 3rd base base and are all or nothing with their swings.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree, still too early to say what Plouffe is or could be.

However, I recall some expressing anger when Luke Hughes was let go because we should have kept him over Plouffe.

I think Plouffe's surge and the struggles of Hughes, which recently landed him another demotion down to AA, validate that the correct decision was made there.

He also seems to be managing third base decently, which is surprising given that it seemed like most of his defensive struggles involved his arm. That's great news, because he's more valuable at 3B than RF, and it fills a hole for the Twins if he keeps it up. Granted there's a hole in RF too, but it's easier to find a serviceable RF than 3B.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    I agree, still too early to say what Plouffe is or could be.

However, I recall some expressing anger when Luke Hughes was let go because we should have kept him over Plouffe.

I think Plouffe's surge and the struggles of Hughes, which recently landed him another demotion down to AA, validate that the correct decision was made there.
    Hughes, was a great guy, but a placeholder, at best. Plouffe was a first round pick, still trying to put it all together. The biggest thing I've noticed is how comfortable and professional he looks at 3rd, especially compared to the other places (SS obviously the worst) the Twins have spotted him since his call-up. I think to some degree, that is carrying over to his hitting. Well, that, and teams that keep throwing the ball to him inside-middle in his wheelhouse. Whatever the case, his June production is unreal: .370/.414/.852./.1266

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    To Mark Reynolds of the Os, but with a worse eye, plate discipline and (therefore) worse OB%. Both 3rd base base and are all or nothing with their swings.
    I was thinking the same thing. He doesn't strike out nearly as much as Reynolds, but doesn't get as many walks. Mark Reynolds is flat out terrible on defense and Plouffe isn't so bad.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post

Disagree...let him play, he seems to be doing better at 3B...great play today. See what you have over a full season...make a decision this winter.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf69 View Post
    Disagree...let him play, he seems to be doing better at 3B...great play today. See what you have over a full season...make a decision this winter.
    Yeah you are correct about that play every day thing for now.

Aside from the defensive position, I still think Rob Deer is more comparable than Mark Reynolds!

First 16 gms thru May 7th.......4-39 .102 BAve .205 slgg 1double 1HR 2RBI 10bb 6Ks
    Danny Valencia optioned May 10th.....coincidence????
    Last 23gms since May 8th.....22-86 .256 BAve .593 slgg 5doubles 8HR 15RBI 5bb 20Ks

Right handed Luke Scott. The type of player who provides below average defense wherever he goes, but good enough to tolerate... and a bat capable of providing pop, but only against lefties.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    Reynolds hit 44 homers one year. I feel pretty safe saying Plouffe won't ever get near that. He might be a Ryan Roberts type, maybe Gordon Beckham?

Liked 718 Times in 381 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTwins View Post
    Reynolds hit 44 homers one year. I feel pretty safe saying Plouffe won't ever get near that. He might be a Ryan Roberts type, maybe Gordon Beckham?
    I just checked this and Plouffe has 8 homers this year in 38 games played. That suggests that maybe he could hit 25-35 homers a year. Less than 44 but still pretty good taking into account that homers don't come easy at Target field. And he has made some good plays at third base.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's on the best streak of his career right now. I don't think it's fair to say he can keep this up or realistic to extrapolate these numbers. I'm sure there are samples of Jason Kubel's career here that you could argue make him a 40 home run type of guy too, and he's a much better hitter than Plouffe. Though, I do agree that 25 could be attainable at the high side of estimates, seeing as he's been increasing his power for the last ~3 or 4 years.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Play

Like Blyleven said after his HR - it really looks like Trevor Plouffe is in a state of becoming a helluva good player. Gotta like his chances.

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I doubt he can keep up this current pace but he seems to be gaining confidence by the day. I hope they keep him playing almost everyday and find out once and for all if he can be an everyday player. Who knows, he may just find his niche at 3B.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

When was the last time we had a decent player with defense, average and power at 3rd, SS or 2nd?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A more recent comp would be Joe Crede, circa 2003-2006, with (significantly) less defensive value. Over those four seasons, before back problems ruined his career, Crede hit .260/.308/.454 and averaged 23 homers. He was 25 years old at the start of that window; Plouffe is 25 now.

Without the fantastic glovework, Plouffe will never be as valuable, but those kinds of numbers seem attainable and would make him a better player than anyone the Twins have trotted out at third in quite a while.

Also: what happens with Valencia? Plouffe seems like he's on the way to locking up the hot corner.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Valencia = Trade Bait at best.

I do think that unless Plouffe improves his defense and can maintain a good average all season long, he is not a long-term answer at 3b. Finding a lefty to share time with him isn't a bad idea, but platooning him with Mauer is just stupid. Plouffe has hit more home runs, but he simply cannot hit and field on the same level as Mauer. Not to mention the fact that you don't pay a guy 23m a year to only play half the time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast