Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greatest Catchers of All Time - NBC Sports

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Mauer has earned to right of being called "best catcher currently playing today". He has been a fairly durable catcher with mounds of strong numbers to support it. As for best of all time, I think he needs a couple more high production years before he could be in the discussion of top 10 (longevity factors into this discussion, IMO). It will be interesting to see how long the over-cautious Twins are willing to keep him there...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    I think Mauer has earned to right of being called "best catcher currently playing today". He has been a fairly durable catcher with mounds of strong numbers to support it. As for best of all time, I think he needs a couple more high production years before he could be in the discussion of top 10 (longevity factors into this discussion, IMO). It will be interesting to see how long the over-cautious Twins are willing to keep him there...
    Interested if you mean he's right this second the best catcher or if you mean of catchers that are currently active, he's had the best career so far. I think one of those is a debate, while the other is definitely true.

Also agree that longevity counts and was surprised, because of that, that the linked item had Mauer that high. In theory, he could have caught his last game. Of course, he could also get back there much more often than he has this year (I think a lot of his 1B time was based on Morneau not being there every day wayyyy back in the early season) and certainly more than last year. But the fact that he's only in Year 9 did make me think he wouldn't be that high (yet).

I dont think Gary Carter and Joe Mauer belong on that list Obviously, Campy and Gabby Hartnett do probably also Ernie Lombardi former Giant C. If Mauer stays at C for another 2-3 years and remains bealthy--both big IFs--then consider him. Johnny Bench is the best C of all-time. Probably Campy number 2--but that may be my Brooklyn Dodger (team I rooted for as kid) bias.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12