Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 Trade Deadline/2013

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Why would anyone think they'll sign any pitcher to a long term deal? And, if they won't, why would anyone think they'll sign a legit #1 or 2 starter? Does anyone think Ryan has changed his stripes that much? And if so, why do you think that?
    It isn't Ryan's stripes I'm worried about (historically he's done a good job at identifying and acquiring undervalued talent), it's Ryan's strings that ownership has attached to him that are the problem. Imagine the pitch he had to give in order to convince the Pohlad's that they had to make their most expensive FA acquisition ever- Willingham.... love what he's done for the Twins, but it's still just....Willingham, while the real prizes of 2011 were truly franchise-altering: Pujols, Fielder, Reyes, Wilson, Darvish and Buehrle. The Twins already have their two "franchise-alterers" in the M & Ms.

In short, Ryan would have to give the pitch of his life to the Pohlad's, times 2.5, to convince them, and Greinke, that him signing puts the Twins over the top. The chances unfortunately, are slim and none, and I think I saw Slim on a milk carton this morning at breakfast.

LOVE to see them go after Grienke - I also like Lewis and Bedard -

I'd quickly shop Span, Capps, Parmalee, Pavano - (much as I like his approach to the game). Casilla - (much as I think if Gardy would give him a chance, he would produce and be a solid glove), De Vries, Butera, Burnett, Gray, Liriano, Manship, Swarzak, Valencia, Mastro, Tosoni -

15 of the 40 man roster, any combo would be doable, There may be value in Span, Capps, Liriano, - but the rest - AAA is full of these types of players - Look - we need bold strokes, - last year we lost 99 and are headed for a 90+ loss season this year - how much worse would it be with 15 newbies?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ltwedt View Post
    LOVE to see them go after Grienke - I also like Lewis and Bedard -
    Why not all three? Theoretically, with Pavano, Liriano, Capps and Morneau off the books (by trade or FA), that opens up $33 Mil to spend. That gets you awfully close to the number you would need to get Greinke, Lewis and Bedard ($36-$40 Mil combined salary?) and they could still come well under their 2011 payroll of $112 Mil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12