Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 2012 draft signings

The signing deadline is Friday. Any word on whether the Twins are still negotiating with L.J. Mazzilli?

Travis Huber, RHP, Nebraska 700 pick in the 2012 draft signed on tues.

Member Single-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Earlier in this thread it says that #6 pick Andre Martinez, a high school lefty from Florida, was signed for over slot to lure him away from his commitment to Florida State University. However, I do not see any evidence on Baseball America's transactions that Martinez signed with the Twins. Moreover, if he did sign with Minnesota, is he at Extended Spring Training, because he is not on the Gulf Coast Twins roster, and one would expect him to be pitching for that team unless he is hurt or unless he has not singed or unless there is some other reason why he might be practicing with the extended spring training squad. Can anyone confirm that Martinez has signed, and can anyone explain why he is not on the Gulf Coast Twins' roster?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They have not yet signed Martinez. I can confirm the signing of Travis Huber, and also of Carson Goldsmith. Just about 30 hours to go before the deadline.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Baseball America has it wrong, then. They list Martinez as being signed in their draft database.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Anyone know what the Twins have left to spend before hitting the luxery tax? They must still be sitting pretty comfortably.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Anyone know what the Twins have left to spend before hitting the luxery tax? They must still be sitting pretty comfortably.
    Baseball America has then currently being $200K under collective pool value for those signed, but they had listed Martinez as being signed, so their numbers may be inaccurate.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jim Callis just reported an "unsigning". It was Andre Martinez. Purely speculation here, but I would guess they came to some sort of an agreement, he reported to Fort Myers for a physical and the Twins found something they didn't like. Now there will be no deal... and extra money in the pot (the overage that was reported he got).

Blog Entries
    What is an "unsigning?" Did he use vanishing ink? In any case, Baseball America has now updated their draft database to show Martinez as unsigned.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 742 Times in 459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Jim Callis just reported an "unsigning". It was Andre Martinez. Purely speculation here, but I would guess they came to some sort of an agreement, he reported to Fort Myers for a physical and the Twins found something they didn't like. Now there will be no deal... and extra money in the pot (the overage that was reported he got).
    pretty sure you lose the money in the pot for every guy in teh top 10 that goes unsigned.... you don't get to reallocate it elsewhere.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    pretty sure you lose the money in the pot for every guy in teh top 10 that goes unsigned.... you don't get to reallocate it elsewhere.
    Yeah, the Twins will lose the $200K for that spot, but his deal was reportedly for 260K, so the team will have an extra 60K. It probably won't make a difference, but you never know...

No word on Baxendale or Mazzilli yet?

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boney View Post
    No word on Baxendale or Mazzilli yet?
    Baxendale is pitching in E-town. Mazzilli will come down to the deadline. I'd put the percentage of him going unsigned at 80%.

[QUOTE=Jeremy Nygaard;33473]Baxendale is pitching in E-town.

Thanks, I didn't know he had signed.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Any updates today?

Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Any updates today?
    nuttin twins related. if this year's deadline is like previous year's, though, it'll take a couple hours for everything shake out once it passes at 4pm.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Twin View Post
    The signing deadline is Friday. Any word on whether the Twins are still negotiating with L.J. Mazzilli?
    Jim Callis just tweeted that he expects Mazzilli to sign. I would guess that, if he does, he will receive a significant amount of the unspent bonus pool.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    27th round pick LP Jerad Grundy just announced on Twitter he will be heading back to Kentucky for his senior year. I thought the Twins had a shot to sign him, plus they have a handful of Wildcat lefties in their system. Apparently the pull of #BBN was too strong...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Deadline just passed. Will be interesting to see wat we find out.

i see we signed zach larson, our 20th rounder, for $190k. interesting....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast