Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 draft signings

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    There is a lag between last year and this year. Last year Grimes was picked and did not play (because of the singing deadline).
    Grimes signed a bit later than Bryant, but did play last year. He was assigned to Beloit where he hit .225 average in 138 at bats.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    5th rounder Tyler Duffy signed for slot.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here is a link to a good article by Aaron Gleeman about how the Twins have now signed 10 of their 1st 11 picks -- everyone but #42 -- Luke Bard -- http://aarongleeman.com/

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
    That is correct: after round 10, a team can still go above 100K, it just eats into their pool amount.

And your point about the tax is also correct. Team can go up to 5% over their pool total and just pay the 75% luxury tax. Obviously the Twins won't pay hundreds of thousands in luxury tax, but teams don't lose draft picks until they go above 5%. Perhaps if the Twins are high on a player but it would put them 50K above the total, they would do it and pay the 37.5K of luxury tax. We can hope right?
    While you can go up to 5% and only pay a small tax, there is a possible future consequence for even exceeding by a penalty. Any draft pick which is forfeited by a team for exceeding the pool is giving out to another MLB team via a lottery prior to the draft's start. Exceeding the bonus pool invalidates participation in that lottery. This may not be a big deal; how many teams are going to exceed by over 5% and forfeit a draft pick? But it is a possible consequence.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 157 Times in 78 Posts
    Is Bard still unsigned? Is there any reason to think he won't sign?

Liked 131 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Is Bard still unsigned? Is there any reason to think he won't sign?
    I haven't heard any reason why he would not sign. He might be trying to get a little more money, or maybe not. He was injured when they drafted him, so maybe the Twins are doing some medical due diligence before they come to terms on a contract.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I posted this on a different thread, but it looks like this thread is the more read one and I speculate on the Bard situation...

As far as players that count towards the spending pool (those taken in the first 10 rounds), the Twins have agreements with all but three: Luke Bard, LJ Mazzilli and DJ Baxendale.

Bard, as far as I know, still isn't 100%, so that would be my guess as to why he isn't signed.
    Mazzilli expected to be drafted higher, so is probably expecting more than slot money.
    Baxendale is still pitching in the College World Series, which would explain why he is unsigned.

The Twins have agreements with JT Chargois, Jorge Fernandez and Christian Powell, but their bonuses aren't public yet.

So we'll take those six out and here's what we know:
    Berrios, Walker, Jones and Duffey all signed for slot.
    Melotakis signed for $68.5K under slot and Buxton signed for $200K under slot.
    Andre Martinez got $60K over slot.

So the Twins have created wiggle room to the tune of $208.5K.

They could also go over their cap by $618,410 without losing a draft pick (though that would actually cost them just short of $1.1m).

My guess is that Bard gets slot (or near). And that Baxendale and Mazzilli both get over slot (but under penalty). If they balk, the Twins may offer their savings to a lower-round guy like Timmy Robinson, Josh Graham or possibly James Marvel, of course these would probably be deadline deals.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    They could also go over their cap by $618,410 without losing a draft pick (though that would actually cost them just short of $1.1m).

My guess is that Bard gets slot (or near). And that Baxendale and Mazzilli both get over slot (but under penalty). If they balk, the Twins may offer their savings to a lower-round guy like Timmy Robinson, Josh Graham or possibly James Marvel, of course these would probably be deadline deals.
    I think that there is close to no chance that Timmy Robinson signs. Marvel I am not sure.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We want LJ!

Luke Bard, June 20: Link 1, Link 2.

Full slot: $1.227MM
    Last edited by benhertz; 06-24-2012 at 06:23 AM.

According to Baseball America, the Twins have signed 33rd round pick Kaleb Merck, RHP.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by benhertz View Post
    According to Baseball America, the Twins have signed 33rd round pick Kaleb Merck, RHP.
    Not a shocker to many, I suppose, but I'm kinda surprised. Merck had a year left, was coming off injury, was disappointed where he was drafted and could hve helped his draft stock with a solid senior year. Curious to see what he brings to the table...

Any idea if Baxendale will sign, now that Arkansas has been eliminated from the CWS?

Also... Baseball America lists Merck as signed, but lists 8th round pick Christian Powell as unsigned. Everything else I've read listed Powell as signed. Anyone know the fact from fiction on this one?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Also... Baseball America lists Merck as signed, but lists 8th round pick Christian Powell as unsigned. Everything else I've read listed Powell as signed. Anyone know the fact from fiction on this one?
    He is signed/agreed. BA is late to update their Database.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 814 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Any idea if Baxendale will sign, now that Arkansas has been eliminated from the CWS?
    Baxendale, for all intents and purposes, tweeted his good-byes and thank yous to his teammates and Razorback fans, so it's fair to think that he is looking to sign soon. His performance against SC on Saturday suggests potential upside (trying to be optimistic here) towards a Radke level of performance, but I think the best we should hope for realistically is as a capable back-end SP in Sep 2014/2015 (with all his innings this year, likely shut down until AFL or 2013, delaying signing until the deadline?)
    Last edited by jokin; 06-24-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Baxendale, for all intents and purposes, tweeted his good-byes and thank yous to his teammates and Razorback fans, so it's fair to think that he is looking to sign soon. His performance against SC on Saturday suggests potential upside (trying to be optimistic here) towards a Radke level of performance, but I think the best we should hope for realistically is as a capable back-end SP in Sep 2014/2015 (with all his innings this year, likely shut down until AFL or 2013, delaying signing until the deadline?)
    I think he can (hopefully) be a decent #3. He struck out a lot of guys in the SEC so that's something to be hopeful about.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From MLB Trade Rumors:

• The Twins have signed eighth rounder Christian Powell, according to Callis (on Twitter). The College of Charleston right-hander, who features a mid-90s sinker, will receive a $140K bonus.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    If the Nick Blackburn Law is accurate, that mid-90's sinker can't possibly have any sink to it as he's throwing the thing too damn hard. Guess maybe we'll get to see if Professor Anderson's physics teachings regarding the sinker are accurate, or if a real pitcher will show it's a bunch of crap and Blackburn just isn't very effective at using the pitch.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    If the Nick Blackburn Law is accurate, that mid-90's sinker can't possibly have any sink to it as he's throwing the thing too damn hard. Guess maybe we'll get to see if Professor Anderson's physics teachings regarding the sinker are accurate, or if a real pitcher will show it's a bunch of crap and Blackburn just isn't very effective at using the pitch.
    It all depends on the amount of rotation you get on the ball relative to the velocity.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast