Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 draft signings

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Well he was committed to Coastal Carolina, which has a very strong baseball program and a large population of, um, party-oriented women. Given that he wasn't taken until the 16th round I had no idea what the odds were. But presumably the Twins knew he wanted to go pro.
    Ft. Myers has lots of party-orinted women too, unfortunately they are of retirement age. Of course they are quite the prize seeing as after getting through the GCL or E'ton, the players are penalized by having to pick from the Wisconsin groupies in Beloit. You'd think they'd be motivation enough for Sano to improve his defense and contact rate and get back to Florida.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Adam Walker II tweeted "Officially a part of the #twins organization. Its a good day" and Jim Callis tweeted "#Twins agree to terms with supp 1st-rder J.O. Berrios for $1.55 million (full pick value). More on him shortly. #mlbdraft"

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Adam Walker is assigned to E-town.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    According to LaVelle E. Neal, the Twins and Byron Buxton have reached an agreement, pending physical (that story has its own thread here in the Forum). According to Neal, the Twins have agreements with several other draft picks, pending physicals:

The Twins also have agreements with righthander Jose Berrios, the 32nd overall pick, for $1.55 million, second round pick, J.T. Chargois, a righthander from Rice; fifth round pick, Tyler Duffey, a righthander also from Rice; Jorge Fernandez, a prep catcher from Puerto Rico; and eighth round pick Christian Powell, a righthander from the College of Charleston, according to a club source. All deals are pending a physical.
    Third round pick Adam Brett Walker II, an outfielder from Jacksonville University, has signed for $490,400.
    Last edited by Seth Stohs; 06-11-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Hey, how come Seth can copy star tribune stuff in here and us non-site creators cannot

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Fair question... it's semi-free content, and I linked to it... That said, I'll have to give it consideration...

Buxton was in Minnesota today. Not sure if he has signed yet. Last I heard he was getting 6.0M for a signing bonus. Comes from a VERY reliable source.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gumspitter3 View Post
    Buxton was in Minnesota today. Not sure if he has signed yet. Last I heard he was getting 6.0M for a signing bonus. Comes from a VERY reliable source.
    He is here for a physical, so it is likely that we will hear something final about him by the end of the day, and certainly by the end of tomorrow.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Baseball America's Jim Callis says that the deal with Buxton is for $6 million... 25% more than top pick Carlos Correa and yet $200K less than slot. Gives Twins a little flexibility.

Last yr Tyler Grimes & Adam Bryant were assigned to Beloit but now the higher college draft pick Adam Walker goes to ETown......really dont get their minor league thinking.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Baseball America's Jim Callis says that the deal with Buxton is for $6 million... 25% more than top pick Carlos Correa and yet $200K less than slot. Gives Twins a little flexibility.
    Yeah, but not enought to sign LJ Mazzilli (who is the guy who would need to sing over slot.) From what I hear from CT, he was really upset on the spot he was picked and might go back next season. Funny thing is (and I saw them both play, albeit Mazzilli painfully because of the aluminum sound) the closest comparable I have for him is Luke Hughes and he is not even that good with the bat...

That $200K is not enought to sign some of the high school picks later, so it will just sit there. Wish they could sign him for $5M, and still he would have been the highest bonus baby in the draft. Oh well, Ryan et al are geniouses
    -----

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Last yr Tyler Grimes & Adam Bryant were assigned to Beloit but now the higher college draft pick Adam Walker goes to ETown......really dont get their minor league thinking.
    There is a lag between last year and this year. Last year Grimes was picked and did not play (because of the singing deadline). That changed this year. Grimes was assigned to Beloit this year (his first in pro ball) and Michael to Fort Myers (his first in pro ball also) and they both suck. Hope the Twins learn a lesson that the aluminum bat numbers do not translate even closely to anything with wood. (and speaking of, another high pick Nick Lockwood was released). Gotta love them scouts.
    -----

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What about enticing Mazzilli with Beloit instead of E-Town as would likely be the case?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Grimes signed really quickly and played quite a bit in Beloit last year.

Lockwood was a 9th round pick out of high school... not exactly a high pick. He requested to be released, by the way.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    What about enticing Mazzilli with Beloit instead of E-Town as would likely be the case?
    Why would that entice him? If he doesn't sign now, he's not very smart. He goes back for his senior season, he gets maybe $30,000 next year. Would be crazy for him to not sign.

I thought that those taken after the 10th round can only make a max of $100K.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    Maybe the Twins just have a newfound spirit of generosity? I mean, what would Buxton have done if they said $5.5 million was the highest they'd go? Walk away? I don't think so.

Given the $100,000 allowance for picks after the 10th round, they still could sign a guy or two for $250,000 or something. Clearly nothing big though.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why would that entice him? If he doesn't sign now, he's not very smart. He goes back for his senior season, he gets maybe $30,000 next year. Would be crazy for him to not sign.

I thought that it was the max too, although someone posted something saying that wasn't the case.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,178 Times in 1,688 Posts
    Blog Entries

I believe $100K is the maximum that doesn't require thought and planning. If you have room because of other signings (rounds 1-10) below slot, you can apply the amount to round 11+ signings above that figure. You could also just go ahead and pay the luxury tax above the $100K figure. In other words, each round-11+ signing above $100K, the excess amount gets added into your slot-eligible total for rounds 1-10, and if you go above your total slot allocation, you pay the tax.

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I believe $100K is the maximum that doesn't require thought and planning. If you have room because of other signings (rounds 1-10) below slot, you can apply the amount to round 11+ signings above that figure. You could also just go ahead and pay the luxury tax above the $100K figure. In other words, each round-11+ signing above $100K, the excess amount gets added into your slot-eligible total for rounds 1-10, and if you go above your total slot allocation, you pay the tax.
    That is correct: after round 10, a team can still go above 100K, it just eats into their pool amount.

And your point about the tax is also correct. Team can go up to 5% over their pool total and just pay the 75% luxury tax. Obviously the Twins won't pay hundreds of thousands in luxury tax, but teams don't lose draft picks until they go above 5%. Perhaps if the Twins are high on a player but it would put them 50K above the total, they would do it and pay the 37.5K of luxury tax. We can hope right?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
    That is correct: after round 10, a team can still go above 100K, it just eats into their pool amount.

And your point about the tax is also correct. Team can go up to 5% over their pool total and just pay the 75% luxury tax. Obviously the Twins won't pay hundreds of thousands in luxury tax, but teams don't lose draft picks until they go above 5%. Perhaps if the Twins are high on a player but it would put them 50K above the total, they would do it and pay the 37.5K of luxury tax. We can hope right?
    It is not a big deal... really. Nothing like the Marquis contract they eaten...

Roughly 5% of the $12M+ the Twins have is $600K (which is a decent amount to play with). The fine 75% of that would be $450K. Not a big deal if they are to get a quality player or 2
    -----

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast