Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terry Doyle flirts with his 2nd AAA no-hitter

Terry Doyle flirts with his 2nd AAA no-hitter

I just saw that on MiLB.com that Terry Doyle took a no-hitter into the 9th inning for Chicago's AAA Club in Charlotte. He took a no-hitter into the 8th on Memorial Day.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...vkey=news_milb

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep, it's a good thing the Twins evaluate on ST performance . . .

Seriously, potentially losing Anthony Swarzak would have been worth having Doyle on the roster.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    wouldn't have been swarzak, but yeah, they gave up on Doyle really, really quickly.

Doyle was just so wretched. You'd think, though, they could've buried him for a month or so. You just never know. Who did we keep instead of him and what happened to his 40-man spot. I mean - Doyle or Maloney. Based on spring...well........

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    And if Doyle was consistently getting rocked, someone would have been in here with an "I told you so" posting.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Sox call him up he might still get rocked in The Show. AAA is one thing but the bigs is another.
    I bent my wookie...

Blog Entries
    Maloney would have been the guy out, but I meant Doyle as initially replacing Swarzak's role. I don't know if the Twins really would want two long relievers in the bullpen. Think of it this way . . . if there is no Anthony Swarzak or he was very injured during spring, Terry Doyle is likely on the team.

Blog Entries
    And the point is: they obviously liked him quite a bit, perhaps mostly due to the AFL. So for them to just give up on him in ST is just bizarre.

At least Terry Ryan gave the great Marquis a guaranteed 3 mil when no other team would give him a mlb deal.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,268 Times in 679 Posts
    I was pretty surprised they released Doyle when they did, and a little disappointed. I know he was awful and I actually saw one of his starts on MLB.TV but to not have him go somewhere in the minors to explore whether he could work his way back didn't make a lot of sense to me. I mean they basically chucked close to 1 million on Zumaya, why not keep a rule 5 guy around a little longer.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    This means they should have kept Ryan Rowland-Smith too? Traded a player for him?

While Diamond worked out, who is to say any of these guys would work out. Diamond had some supporters (maybe) after a lousy 2011. Now
    he has more in his corner.

It's a sport of hits-and-misses on personnel. The RA Dickey thread is like this one. Hindsight does very little good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    This means they should have kept Ryan Rowland-Smith too? Traded a player for him?

While Diamond worked out, who is to say any of these guys would work out. Diamond had some supporters (maybe) after a lousy 2011. Now
    he has more in his corner.

It's a sport of hits-and-misses on personnel. The RA Dickey thread is like this one. Hindsight does very little good.
    Not every comment is criticism, I have always been an ardent opponent of the hindsight crowd, I agree with you. I for one am not critical of the Twins for releasing Doyle, if they figured they had seen what they were going to see, fair enough and granted they didn't see much. I was just pondering on whether they could have found a spot for him somewhere, to see if he could develop a little more of what they thought they might be getting when they made him a rule 5 pick.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    I was pretty surprised they released Doyle when they did, and a little disappointed. I know he was awful and I actually saw one of his starts on MLB.TV but to not have him go somewhere in the minors to explore whether he could work his way back didn't make a lot of sense to me. I mean they basically chucked close to 1 million on Zumaya, why not keep a rule 5 guy around a little longer.
    They couldn't put him in the minors, unless they traded for him. A rule 5 pick has to remain on the active roster or he is sent back to his original club. We don't know if they talked to the White Sox about a trade or not; possibly Chicago wanted too much for him.
    Last edited by IdahoPilgrim; 06-08-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    They couldn't put him in the minors, unless they traded for him. A rule 5 pick has to remain on the active roster or he is sent back to his original club. We don't know if they talked to the White Sox about a trade or not; possibly Chicago wanted too much for him.
    See, now that was helpful, did not know that, thank you.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
    The Whie Sox released Terry Doyle, but before anyone thinks about the Twins rectifying their previous mistake of giving him back, it sounds like the Sox released him so he could pitch in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    The Whie Sox released Terry Doyle, but before anyone thinks about the Twins rectifying their previous mistake of giving him back, it sounds like the Sox released him so he could pitch in Japan.
    Just saw that! Wow, how did this guy never get a cup of tea in the majors? I know he didn't strike that guys out, but he was improving those numbers this year. Greg Maddux had a 5.7 K/9 in his minor league career. Obviously, Maddux was one of a kind, but how do you know if these pitchers can work in the bigs if they never get a shot?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From http://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago-...doyle-released

A 37th round pick by the White Sox in the 2008 draft, Doyle has always put up exceptional minor league numbers, but he's never been considered a good prospect. Despite having a 2.92 ERA with 8.2 strikeouts per nine innings over 499 minor league innings, scouts have never really believed that he has big league caliber raw stuff.

Sounds like Slama Syndrome.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good for him!! Pitching well. Saw the writing on the wall that he wasn't going to get a big league shot this year anyway... He signed with Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks!!

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Good for him!! Pitching well. Saw the writing on the wall that he wasn't going to get a big league shot this year anyway... He signed with Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks!!
    A big Fukuoka to the Twins and Sox, apparently.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Fukuoka !!
    Same to you! (How many Japanese words and phrases evoke that similar phrase of ours? That and Fukodome are obvious...there must be many others, no?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast