Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Marquis

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,181 Times in 628 Posts

Jason Marquis

Went 6 innings in his first start for the Padres vs the Giants, gave up 4 runs, 2 earned, on 9 hits, including a tape measure shot by Buster Posey. He threw 91 pitches, 61 TS and 30 TB, 1 BB and inexplicably 6 SO.

Must be the coaching.

Maybe it really is a comfort thing with the National League for Marquis... Maybe he likes to have the bat in his hand. Not that this start was great or anything.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for this report. After what he went through with his daughter's accident, I wish him only the best.

Liked 1,190 Times in 694 Posts
    I wish him well. I think the Twins were right to release him but I hope he is able to resurrect his career in the NL. Seemed like a decent guy who just couldn't put it together in Minnesota for whatever reason (s).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Anyone notice that Jason Marquis only gave up 2 ER in 7 IP against the Rangers while striking out 10? This is on top of his first two starts having a 1.46 ERA and a K/9 of 7.3. What the hell? At least his 1.622 WHIP indicates he is about to get a shocking wakeup call.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His pitches had so much movement when he was with the Twins that he couldn't control it. If he was able to temper that movement and throw strikes, he's got a long career of success in the National League where he can also hit.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Hopefully, yet there was probably 100% agreement in this forum that the Twins needed to release him. The question needs to be, are the Twins snakebit with extremely inconsistant performances, unfortunate timing and unexpected injuries, or is there something more fundementally wrong with the team's decision making process when it comes to their players?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think it was just bad luck more than anything. He missed much of spring training and the first part of the year dealing with his daughter's accident, and by the time he joined up with the Twins, things were already headed downhill. Hard to find your groove and connect with your team in a situation like that

Yesterday he pitched 7 innings, gave up 5 hits, 2 R, walked 3 and struck out 10. And lost the game.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Hopefully, yet there was probably 100% agreement in this forum that the Twins needed to release him. The question needs to be, are the Twins snakebit with extremely inconsistant performances, unfortunate timing and unexpected injuries, or is there something more fundementally wrong with the team's decision making process when it comes to their players?
    If it is one off and two offs, you can probably attribute it to "luck". But it is many. So there is something going on there.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Marquis has all the makings of a back-end NL starter. I have no ill will toward the guy, I just thought it was a pretty bad signing by Ryan.

Shocked Rick Anderson couldnt get the best out of him

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes you just get a situation where a player and a team just don't gel. It's not the player's fault; it's not the team's fault - it just doesn't click. Best choice is then to let the player go elsewhere (other league, preferably). And I'm sure the situation with his daughter complicated things - that part was just bad luck all around.

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Sometimes you just get a situation where a player and a team just don't gel. It's not the player's fault; it's not the team's fault - it just doesn't click. Best choice is then to let the player go elsewhere (other league, preferably).
    R.A. Dickey springs to mind.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Sometimes you just get a situation where a player and a team just don't gel. It's not the player's fault; it's not the team's fault - it just doesn't click. Best choice is then to let the player go elsewhere (other league, preferably).
    It would be nice if the Twins could benefit from this phenomena sometime.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    It would be nice if the Twins could benefit from this phenomena sometime.
    Carl Pavano?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 157 Times in 78 Posts
    Pavano, Thome (from his time with the Dodgers), Jared Burton are some recent examples. The fact that the Twins are rarely aggressive buyers on the free agent market means they don't get many surprises.

Marquis average stuff plays better in the NL where he doesnt have to face the DH & can strategize the lineup as well as him being one of baseballs better hitters gives him an advantage in the NL.
    2 small things but when your talent is marginal....it adds up.

There were also a couple early season games where Gardy did him no favors by trying to get extra innings out of him when he got thru 6 or so innings with mirrors & it caught up to him numbers wise

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    254vk74.jpgpic should explain it all

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 157 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    254vk74.jpgpic should explain it all
    Oh! he'd been throwing with his left hand while he was here - no wonder he was so bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast