Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who gets the credit?

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I didn't call you a Debbie-downer sock puppet, I just asked if you employed one. I trust calling you by your name, one-eyed jack, is not resorting to name-calling. BTW, I'm glad I got you out of your depression with my hockey comment. The league has a history of low-seed teams that have gotten on amazing runs with hot goalies and you know it full well. I never said hockey was "just bounces and deflections". I believe you are also intelligent enough to know that like baseball, there is an element of luck, enough to overcome in the short-term, the Kings' opponents long-term superiority (Cards 2011, Twins 87).

I've got a question for you. Who has more short- and long-term influence on his team? A hockey coach or a baseball manager?
    Before you guys continue with this, I would like to interject that you both have a history of making quality posts and we are all Twins fans here, which is a unifying brotherhood/sisterhood. I love your passion and would love it more if it was directed at people who are truly evil, such as White Sox fans.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Before you guys continue with this, I would like to interject that you both have a history of making quality posts and we are all Twins fans here, which is a unifying brotherhood/sisterhood. I love your passion and would love it more if it was directed at people who are truly evil, such as White Sox fans.
    Hear! Here! Glunn! I think my realist/masochist persona when the Twins go through their down-cycles sometimes rubs some the wrong way. This is a great site and hopefully open to a broad range of thought and opinion, but there have to be boundaries....just don't ever let a Sox troll come on here to gloat or poke fun, especially if the worst happens- and their moribund, unsupported franchise ends up sneaking out a Central Division title.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Hear! Here! Glunn! I think my realist/masochist persona when the Twins go through their down-cycles sometimes rubs some the wrong way. This is a great site and hopefully open to a broad range of thought and opinion, but there have to be boundaries....just don't ever let a Sox troll come on here to gloat or poke fun, especially if the worst happens- and their moribund, unsupported franchise ends up sneaking out a Central Division title.
    It's easy to get depressed/frustrated/angry when the team is losing. I have been feeling this way since last year. And I take great comfort in the fact that there are others who feel the same way.

We may disagree about stuff like whether Gardy is OK or should be fired, but we share a much more fundamental unity in our perpetual hope for Twins World Series and the Sox being humiliated. So I hope that the passionate debates will continue, but as brothers/sisters, and reserving the vitriol for outsiders.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    All starter with an ERA sub 4.50 get credit, as does Burton along with the rest of the pen. Hammer, Span and Morneau (to a lesser extent) get credit too.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At least we can all agree that the next time we see a Sox fan, it is imperative to punch him/her in the face.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,184 Times in 631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    At least we can all agree that the next time we see a Sox fan, it is imperative to punch him/her in the face.

With both fists.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For those that didn't take the question rhetorically and actually gave an answer of who gets credit for the 14-11 month-or-so (I lopped off a game from the original post since going back one more was a loss and we're looking at the "good stretch"), I think there was one mention of Kid St. Paul. He's got a slash line for the 25 games of .338/.454/.500 if I calculated correctly. And this is why I end up "defending" him here a lot. Expectations seem disconnected with reality.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    It's been about a month since many members felt the need to blame somebody for the sorry state the Twins were in at the time, this despite the fact we were barely 1 month into the new season. During that time blame was mainly given to pretty much anyone and everyone who wasn't a player, including , Gardy, Terry Ryan, Joe Vavra, Rick Anderson, Bill Smith the entire Pohlad family the removal of the trees in centre field and the quality of beer served in a can.

Since that time the Twins have gone 14-12 and while far from being touted as a contender have proved themselves to be a competitive and at times entertaining ball club. So, in the interest of fairness, many have assigned the blame, who now gets the credit for the teams improved play?
    All the new players who replaced the guys not getting the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    For those that didn't take the question rhetorically and actually gave an answer of who gets credit for the 14-11 month-or-so (I lopped off a game from the original post since going back one more was a loss and we're looking at the "good stretch"), I think there was one mention of Kid St. Paul. He's got a slash line for the 25 games of .338/.454/.500 if I calculated correctly. And this is why I end up "defending" him here a lot. Expectations seem disconnected with reality.
    Well said and thanks for answering the actual question!

Credit? Well. some players. They have gotten their chance and are making the most of it. Many realize this may be their only chance to score a major league contract and if they play good this year, they get at least one more next year. The flipside is a few players who are being paid good or big money. Why do they have to listen, change, adapt. It's still coming in, at least for awhile. Maybe THEY will play better when they get hungry again. So I give it all to the players, from the new arms in the bullpen salvaging a career, to the hopefuls in Rochester who come up, go back down and learn, and then come back up, to the many that do play but because of lineup construction or not knowing where they are playing today, do the best they can. I blame the front office for long giving the illusion that only fielding a competitive team will satisfy the fans, the coaches for not being able to adapt themselves to others and spreading the "we are a team spirit" to those who may need a little more "we" than "me", and us fans who were sold on the idea of Target Field is baseball. No, the food and games and other stuff is indy league puff. I go to watch players play to the bst of their abilities and compete -- win or lose, they have to be seen as enjoying being a part of the game. Again, the players who are being given a golden opportunity to shine and hone their skills get the credit. They want to play this game -- today and tomorrow!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    ---Yes, I'll be sure to remove my sock puppet first so it doesn't soften the blow.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123