Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins recall Chris Parmelee

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins recall Chris Parmelee

The Twins made a move today sending starter Cole DeVries down to Rochester and recalling the white-hot hitting Chris Parmelee back to the club.

After struggling hardcore at the beginning of the year with the Twins, Parmelee was demoted to AAA and has rediscovered his swing. Interestingly, according to FirstInning.com's data, Parmelee's line drive rate was down to 13% but his zone acumen was significantly better as he walked in 12 of his 58 plate appearances while only coaxing six free passes in 92 plate appearances with the Twins. Overall, the left-handed hitting Parmelee has posted a .350/.500/.707 batting line with four home runs and 12 runs batted in.

He's certainly earned his recall.
    Last edited by Parker Hageman; 06-07-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 348 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Other Moves

Cole De Vries optioned to Rochester - when he was called up, I figured that he would just be DFAd when he was sent down. Good for him to just be optioned.

Brian Dinkelman and Sam Deduno activated from the AAA DL, should play for Rochester soon.

Steve Hirschfeld, who made one start for the Red Wings on Wednesday. He was sent back to AA following the game.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    Parmalee replaces De Vries? Interesting.

Let's hope Parmalee has found a comfort zone, as I see him as about average on D at 1B, decent AVG, slightly below OBP, and well below SLG.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pretty fast recall. Does he start every day now? Is Morneau more hurt than perhaps has been let on? I know Parmelee was hitting very well in AAA, his FIRST time there. But only 58 plate appearances? Why not seeing how he does in his first stint in AAA over 158 plate appearances before bringing him up to not play every day?

I hope we don't see Anthony Swarzak in the rotation again.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    From ESPN 1500:
    Comments that "
    people in the organization believe his stuff wasn't sharp enough to have continued success."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/T...ies_down060712

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,196 Times in 638 Posts
    When is Pavano coming off the 15 day? Wasn't Devries scheduled to start Sunday? With the off day do they go back to Liriano or give it to Manship for a spot start?

Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Pretty fast recall. Does he start every day now? Is Morneau more hurt than perhaps has been let on? I know Parmelee was hitting very well in AAA, his FIRST time there. But only 58 plate appearances? Why not seeing how he does in his first stint in AAA over 158 plate appearances before bringing him up to not play every day?

I hope we don't see Anthony Swarzak in the rotation again.
    I am with you on this one Shane... sometime's I wish I could be a fly on the wall of the meeting room when these choices are made, because this one is puzzling. Yes, Parm is tearing the cover off the ball, but the sample size is still relatively small. This also stumps me because it looks like Justin is starting to come around, and has been pretty frontal about his preference to play 1b vs. DH.

GOOD to see Cole go down and not just get DFA'd entirely, he earned that and should be proud about what he did while he was up... Who takes his spot now? Swarzack, Manship, or do we make another move and bring up Hendricks? I would like to see the latter.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    From ESPN 1500:
    Comments that "
    people in the organization believe his stuff wasn't sharp enough to have continued success."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/T...ies_down060712
    I agree with people in the organization.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 122 Posts
    This moves just gives us a LH bat on the bench and we're finally down to 12 pitchers. Seems fine. I think we might be overstating the importance of AAA at bats.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    This moves just gives us a LH bat on the bench and we're finally down to 12 pitchers. Seems fine. I think we might be overstating the importance of AAA at bats.
    I agree that having a LH bat on the bench would be helpful, but I disagree about AAA at bats, especially after struggling that much this year with the Twins.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    When is Pavano coming off the 15 day? Wasn't Devries scheduled to start Sunday? With the off day do they go back to Liriano or give it to Manship for a spot start?
    Devries was scheduled to start on Tuesday, but there is an off day on Monday (and today), so they can skip his spot in the rotation and keep everyone else on schedule for a while. They will need a 5th starter for Sunday June 17. Pavano is available to come off the DL on the 16th, or they figure out something else. It's nice to get a useful bench player, especially with Mauer being a question mark.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Cole De Vries optioned to Rochester - when he was called up, I figured that he would just be DFAd when he was sent down. Good for him to just be optioned.
    Hard for the Twins to risk losing him with Pavano's shoulder situation not resolved. They will be needing a 5th starter sometime. Now they are betting on Pavano being that but that is not a certain bet. De Vries did alright and proved to be servicable. If a team takes a flyer on Marquis, they for sure have taken one on DeVries. It is a long season and the Twins cannot afford to lose any starters other than in a trade.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 511 Times in 333 Posts
    Blog Entries
    De Vries has a victory and a shaving cream pie in the face to show for his time with the Twins. I think eventually we'll see Hendriks, but it wouldn't surprise me if they give Manship a start. With the off day today, the Twins can go Walters, Diamond, Liriano against the Cubs. They wouldn't need a fifth starter until the Brewer series.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig in MN View Post
    It's nice to get a useful bench player, especially with Mauer being a question mark.
    Amen to that, I'm glad they won last night but when I saw Casilla, Revere and Mastroianni all in the lineup I wasn't overly hopeful. Parm will at least give them some pop factor.

Blog Entries
    Oops, I can't read a calendar apparently. I thought there was a game Monday. Well sending DeVries down is fine. I just wonder how Parmelee would have fared given 60 plate appearances at Rochester last year and 190 or whatever there this year. If he is playing in a semi-limited role for the Twins for the rest of June and hits .230 in that time, what good is that? Sean Burroughs could have been an option. Oh well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Hard for the Twins to risk losing him with Pavano's shoulder situation not resolved. They will be needing a 5th starter sometime. Now they are betting on Pavano being that but that is not a certain bet. De Vries did alright and proved to be servicable. If a team takes a flyer on Marquis, they for sure have taken one on DeVries. It is a long season and the Twins cannot afford to lose any starters other than in a trade.
    From what I understood, the consensus was that it would take Pavano quite a bit longer than 15 days to be ready to start again. They don't need a fifth starter for two series, so why not have the extra hitter?

On merit, Parmelee has earned the recall. He is hitting by far the best of anyone at AAA or AA for that matter. Fitting him in will remain a problem and the Twins don't play in NL parks until they need a fifth starter.

incredible that Gardy actually is takin advantage of off days to better the team.

Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    incredible that Gardy actually is takin advantage of off days to better the team.
    More incredible than the fact he now actually has options to take advantage of?

Blog Entries
    I looked through the month of June at the Twins' schedule. If the starters can all go on four days rest, they would need a fifth starter only twice for the rest of the month--the 16th and the 23rd. They could try to slip Manship (or is it Masihp?) in for those two games, especially if he's not needed much in long relief. He has pitched a grand total of 2.1 innings since his recall.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I expect we'll see Parmalee in the OF more than we did the last time he was up there, but he'll mostly be a bench guy. Besides just a Left handed bat with some pop, it also allows gardy the freedom to pinch run for Morneau late in a game and not get hurt defensively. Not that Parm is gonna pinch run, but you could pinch run Casilla, and then slide casilla over and put Parm in Plouffe/Carroll's spot, something like that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast