Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 155 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Nationals Should Not Be Lone Suitor For Denard Span

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 175 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see a fit with these three teams. We definitely are not going to get Zach Lee, Dylan Bundy, Manny Machado, Billy Hamilton, or Mesoraco in a deal for Span - I'm not too excited about the other prospects that were named and as far as the Dodgers, Orioles, and Red's are concerned... I have a hard time envisioning them being desperate to make this kind of trade this season.

Span will not bring any of those prospects in return. You are looking at 2 upside type pitchers who are in A ball and in the 5-15 range on their team's prospect lists.

I think the best fit for both Willingham and Span is the Indians. They are starting to look like contenders and have some brutal options in the OF/DH spots. Not a big deal to trade in the division if you are in a multi year rebuild like the Twins are.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I don't see much mix with this teams. I'll stand by my thoughts that th Twins and Rangers are great trade partners for Span, Morneau and Willingham. There's no way they're getting a 5-star type of prospect for Span. Maybe I'm dreaming too in hoping they might be able to get a 4 star and maybe two 3 stars.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    I actually think the Dodgers will be sniffing around Morneau. They are in need of a replacement for James Loney who will likely be non-tendered after the season seeing as he is 4th year arbitration eligible and is possibly the worst offensive 1B that continues to get the opening day starting gig.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Been saying this for a while: I think that my local team (the Phillies) is the best Twins' partner for such a trade because it has a lot of good young stuck pitching and a serious OF need. Might take a couple more pieces to make it work, but...

and I am dead serious about the Phillies being it. And they will overspend for someone like Span (just ask the 'voice of reason' )
    Last edited by Thrylos; 06-06-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Been saying this for a while: I think that my local team (the Phillies) is the best Twins' partner for such a trade because it has a lot of good young stuck pitching and a serious OF need. Might take a couple more pieces to make it work, but...

and I am dead serious about the Phillies being it. And they will overspend for someone like Span (just ask the 'voice of reason' )
    Just for fun - throw out a trade scenario involving The Twins and Phillies involving Span - Curious minds want to know!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    Considering the fact Span's signed through 2014 (plus a '15 option), I don't see any point in trading him for a mediocre return. They could always do that later. If no one wants to pay a high price, then he can just remain with the Twins. The organization won't be rebuilt with a few C+ prospects here and there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Maybe I'm dreaming too in hoping they might be able to get a 4 star and maybe two 3 stars.
    If this is only a dream - then you straight up do not trade Span... over and done.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looking back at in season CF trades over last few years. Atlanta has made two trades trying to find a CF. Last year they traded for Michael Bourn (Gold Glove and All Star 2010) and in 2009 they traded for Nate McLouth (an All Star and Gold Glove winner in 2008).

Ranked by WAR, Span finds himself ranked 13th of 18 qualifiers.

Michael Bourn brought Jordan Schafer, Juan Abreu, Paul Clemens and Brett Oberholtzer. The Braves did not give up any of their better pitching prospects.

Nate McLouth brought Charlie Morton, Gorkys Hernandez and Jeff Locke. At the time of the trade, Hernandez had made an appearance in the Baseball America top 100 and #4 Atlanta prospect . Locke made some organizational top 10s.

It is hard to imagine that Span will bring worth more than Bourn and McLouth at the time of their trade. It isn't even reasonable that he is on par with these players at the time of the trade. In that case, the better course is to keep Span.

Here is optimism at its finest: on June 6th, 2006 the MN Twins had 25 wins and 32 losses--they were 11.5 games out of 1st place. Lets talk trades in July, not in early June.

I think the rangers would make a great trade partner....as much as I love span, now is the time to dump him and get something back<br>

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jorgenswest, that was a great post but I will counter a couple things. While WAR is a great stat, it does not tell the whole story. Span is one of the best in the game at making pitchers work. He often does what a leadoff hitter should do and works the count early in the game. You also have to consider the contract, which is very team friendly. This of course plays a very big factor in his overall trade value. Those two things (mainly the contract status) make me believe the Twins should be able to get more than Bourn and McLouth. If not, then yeah, we gotta keep him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    There is no reason to trade Span in till someone is willing to overpay.
    Whats the rush?

Liked 684 Times in 358 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just hope that this is not going to be a repeat of last year, where the Twins were contending enough that they made no big trades, then got flushed down the toilet after the trade deadline. If the Twins are less than 7 games out at the trade deadline, it seems likely that they might be buyers, not sellers, in order to keep the attendance figures higher and in the hope that they can make the playoffs. And if Mauer/Morneau/Span/Willingham could all have career seasons, and Ploufee and some others could play to their potential (and the starting pitchers could pitch like they have during the past 8 games), the Twins could be in first place in the division by the trade deadline.

I like Span but we have plenty of young outfielders ready to get their feet wet so I wouldn't complain if we traded him to any of these teams. I don't really care who we trade him to, as long as it isn't within the division and not to the Yankees, not that they would want him.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 155 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In retrospect, I wish I had left the top prospects off of each team, since they clearly distracted from the story. Listing them was not to suggest I think Span could be traded for them. It was simply a reference to get thoughts going.

Thryloss, I almost listed Philly. I didn't because Juan Pierre hasn't turned into a pumpkin yet. It seemed premature.

I'm puzzled by the Texas stuff. I wonder if it's driven more by what WE want than what THEY want. Ian Kinsler is their leadoff hitter. Hamilton is their center fielder. The other corner OFs are Cruz and Murphy. And their top priority is a right-handed hitting outfielder. I don't see Span as a great fit for them.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    John, I expect that Mr. Ryan views the Twins much different than most of us. He is looking at putting the Twins back into contention next year. I expect that he sees a team that is really pretty good throughout its everyday lineup, assuming they stay healthy. The bullpen fixes he did have worked very well and there are four/five arms in Rochester about major league ready. The problem, the starting rotation including the health of Pavano/Baker. I think he sees a team that needs to add two solid starters and they can be back.

If he is thinking like that, he isn't going to be trading away any of his better players just to be doing something. Yes, he will listen to phone calls and if someone blows him away for Span or another player...he certainly will listen. But I suspect we are going to see a lot less moves between now and July 31 than most people expect.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    John, I expect that Mr. Ryan views the Twins much different than most of us. He is looking at putting the Twins back into contention next year. I expect that he sees a team that is really pretty good throughout its everyday lineup, assuming they stay healthy. The bullpen fixes he did have worked very well and there are four/five arms in Rochester about major league ready. The problem, the starting rotation including the health of Pavano/Baker. I think he sees a team that needs to add two solid starters and they can be back.
    I think you hit it on the head right there. Unless the Twins really tank between now and the trade deadline, Terry R. is not going to hold a fire sale.

Personally I wouldn't trade Span unless they get a stud prospect in return.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is why I am glad Ryan is the GM. He won't get focused on one team / scenario and he has the balls to walk away from a deal if its not good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast