Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 86

Thread: MLB Draft: Day 3 Discussion

  1. #61
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Posts
    810
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Round 36


    OF Brandon Bayardi UNLV JR
    Last edited by Mr. Ed; 06-06-2012 at 03:41 PM.

  2. #62
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Posts
    810
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Round 37 Marvel James RHP California HS

    Apparently has a committment to Duke

  3. #63
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,146
    Like
    378
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Austin Rei, shocking that they would go for yet another catcher.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Posts
    810
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Round 38


    Austin Rei California HS catcher

  5. #65
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,168
    Like
    19
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Any way the Twins can engineer some kind of high profile prostitue bust with some of these high upside high school kids to scare the colleges into pulling the scholarship offers?

  6. #66
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,146
    Like
    378
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Robinson will be offered money if they Twins have any left at the deadline. The same way they signed Jason Kubel's brother-in-law Michael Tonkin.

    From the looks of it, Robinson will be one of the few guys I hit on this year, but his future (most likely in college) will be in the corner OF.
    Jeremy, sounds like you already know a little about Robinson, what little I know is from the video, what a big kid! Does he have some quality college offers?/ can the Twins counter by suggesting he can fast-track by converting to catcher?/Thrylos says he's Burnett's brother?

  7. #67
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,146
    Like
    378
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Any way the Twins can engineer some kind of high profile prostitue bust with some of these high upside high school kids to scare the colleges into pulling the scholarship offers?
    Amen and LOL...Now that's some creative, outside the box thinking the Twins need in their current time of desperation!

  8. #68
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Posts
    810
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Round 39


    Alex Liquori Georgia HS outfielder

  9. #69
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Posts
    810
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Round 40


    Brad Schreiber RHP Purdue JR

  10. #70
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,969
    Like
    1,041
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Round 39 Alex Liquori Georgia HS outfielder
    Wonder if he's any relation to Marty Liquori, the 60s-70s runner from when a 4 minute mile was a big deal.

  11. #71
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,168
    Like
    19
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Only 6 of the 25 guys picked today were SR or juco 2nd yr players. Shouldn't expect to see many of these guys in uniform this summer as none of these guys can be offered much of a bonus, unless there is some dynamic about the new draft rules we have yet to figure out.

  12. #72
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,635
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Jeremy, sounds like you already know a little about Robinson, what little I know is from the video, what a big kid! Does he have some quality college offers?/ can the Twins counter by suggesting he can fast-track by converting to catcher?/Thrylos says he's Burnett's brother?
    I think he's committed to USC. He doesn't have the arm of his brother, so I don't see him being converted to catcher... but yeah, Alex Burnett's brother and had the talent to go before Round 10. I would expect we hear his named called as a re-draft in 2015 (unless, of course, there is spendable money left in the bonus pool).

  13. #73
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,119
    Like
    98
    Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Only 6 of the 25 guys picked today were SR or juco 2nd yr players. Shouldn't expect to see many of these guys in uniform this summer as none of these guys can be offered much of a bonus, unless there is some dynamic about the new draft rules we have yet to figure out.
    After round 10, any bonus over $100k is added to the bonus pool. I can't imagine too many of the HS guys or JR guys will be lured away by that amount, but... you never know. If some of the other guys sign for much below slot level, you could maybe give a big enough bonus to one of the guys that you really like in the later rounds.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  14. #74
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    After round 10, any bonus over $100k is added to the bonus pool. I can't imagine too many of the HS guys or JR guys will be lured away by that amount, but... you never know. If some of the other guys sign for much below slot level, you could maybe give a big enough bonus to one of the guys that you really like in the later rounds.
    Are you sure? By what I read, the $100K per pick is not added to the pool and can't be accumulated. Any pick after round 10 can be given at most $100K, and any overage put you at risk of fines/losing picks. That makes sense; the purpose is to prevent teams not signing a lot of later round picks to artificially inflate the bonus pool for someone they want badly, thus skewing the purpose of the bonus pool in the first place.

    I could be wrong though.

  15. #75
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,801
    Like
    27
    Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I think he's committed to USC. He doesn't have the arm of his brother, so I don't see him being converted to catcher... but yeah, Alex Burnett's brother and had the talent to go before Round 10. I would expect we hear his named called as a re-draft in 2015 (unless, of course, there is spendable money left in the bonus pool).
    Looks like the Twins will not sign him. Details here.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  16. #76
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,146
    Like
    378
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I think he's committed to USC. He doesn't have the arm of his brother, so I don't see him being converted to catcher... but yeah, Alex Burnett's brother and had the talent to go before Round 10. I would expect we hear his named called as a re-draft in 2015 (unless, of course, there is spendable money left in the bonus pool).
    Thanks, that is a lot of good info there! I guess now we need the analysis of what the Twins' strategy has been in the later rounds. For Robinson (and others), has this just been a "courtesy" draft pick to let the player know of the Twins interest for later on? The impression going into the draft from the media was the Twins had a dire need to restock the farm teams, top to bottom. The Twins actions suggessts that apparently hasn't happened. I thought for sure there would be at least a couple Puerto Rico/Virgin Ilds signings in the late rounds. Is the "restocking" going to happen primarily in the subsequent drafts/international and undrafted free agent signings/waiver wire bargain bin pick-ups?

  17. #77
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,119
    Like
    98
    Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Are you sure? By what I read, the $100K per pick is not added to the pool and can't be accumulated. Any pick after round 10 can be given at most $100K, and any overage put you at risk of fines/losing picks. That makes sense; the purpose is to prevent teams not signing a lot of later round picks to artificially inflate the bonus pool for someone they want badly, thus skewing the purpose of the bonus pool in the first place.

    I could be wrong though.
    From the CBA:
    Each Club will be assigned an aggregate Signing Bonus Pool prior to each draft.
    For the purpose of calculating the Signing Bonus Pools, each pick in the first 10
    rounds of the draft has been assigned a value. (These values will grow each year
    with the rate of growth of industry revenue.) A Club’s Signing Bonus Pool equals
    the sum of the values of that Club’s selections in the first 10 rounds of the draft.
    Players selected after the 10th round do not count against a Club’s Signing
    Bonus Pool if they receive bonuses up to $100,000. Any amounts paid in excess
    of $100,000 will count against the Pool.

    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/2011_CBA.pdf

    That link is just to a summary of the CBA. I didn't want to try looking through the full thing as it is close to 300 pages. But here's a link:
    http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf
    Last edited by James; 06-06-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  18. #78
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    From the CBA:
    Each Club will be assigned an aggregate Signing Bonus Pool prior to each draft.
    For the purpose of calculating the Signing Bonus Pools, each pick in the first 10
    rounds of the draft has been assigned a value. (These values will grow each year
    with the rate of growth of industry revenue.) A Club’s Signing Bonus Pool equals
    the sum of the values of that Club’s selections in the first 10 rounds of the draft.
    Players selected after the 10th round do not count against a Club’s Signing
    Bonus Pool if they receive bonuses up to $100,000. Any amounts paid in excess
    of $100,000 will count against the Pool.

    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/2011_CBA.pdf
    OK, thanks. I misread your first post, and you are right. That makes sense to me now.

  19. #79
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,801
    Like
    27
    Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    From the CBA:
    Each Club will be assigned an aggregate Signing Bonus Pool prior to each draft.
    For the purpose of calculating the Signing Bonus Pools, each pick in the first 10
    rounds of the draft has been assigned a value. (These values will grow each year
    with the rate of growth of industry revenue.) A Club’s Signing Bonus Pool equals
    the sum of the values of that Club’s selections in the first 10 rounds of the draft.
    Players selected after the 10th round do not count against a Club’s Signing
    Bonus Pool if they receive bonuses up to $100,000. Any amounts paid in excess
    of $100,000 will count against the Pool.

    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/2011_CBA.pdf
    True. But here is how it works, in plain English: The Twins' pool is $12,368,200, based on their top 10 round picks, with their 10th rounder, DJ Baxendale slated to be signed up to $125K.

    Now if the Twins spend (let's say) $10 M to sign all their top 10 picks, they would have $2.3M extra to throw to round 11-40 picks. They can pay all that to one or to more players. So potentially a 40th rounder, can make $2.4M in this scenario. All good and kosher and no penalties.



    Of course, they can pay someone in the 1st 10 rounds above slot, but that is totalled. Picks 11-40 can be singed for up to $100K each, but if someone signs for less, the leftover cannot be spent elsewhere.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  20. #80
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,119
    Like
    98
    Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    True. But here is how it works, in plain English: The Twins' pool is $12,368,200, based on their top 10 round picks, with their 10th rounder, DJ Baxendale slated to be signed up to $125K.

    Now if the Twins spend (let's say) $10 M to sign all their top 10 picks, they would have $2.3M extra to throw to round 11-40 picks. They can pay all that to one or to more players. So potentially a 40th rounder, can make $2.4M in this scenario. All good and kosher and no penalties.

    Of course, they can pay someone in the 1st 10 rounds above slot, but that is totalled. Picks 11-40 can be singed for up to $100K each, but if someone signs for less, the leftover cannot be spent elsewhere.
    That is how read the statement as well. But your explanation is pretty concise.

    Now we just get to wait and see how the Twins spread that bonus money around.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.