Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Draft: Day 3 Discussion

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries

MLB Draft: Day 3 Discussion

Today is the final day of the 2012 MLB Draft. Teams will make their choices in Rounds 16 through 40 today. This is where the really good scouts show their stuff. The Twins have had a lot of success stories in the late rounds. Can they find another one today?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this is where the Twins truly show why they were considered for the team to be featured in Moneyball, because they have done so well drafting in the later rounds, and have proven that there is a point to having these late rounds.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How on earth were the Twins considered to featured in Moneyball? This organization is notorious for ignoring statistics in favor of "seeing-eye" scouting.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    How on earth were the Twins considered to featured in Moneyball? This organization is notorious for ignoring statistics in favor of "seeing-eye" scouting.
    The author of Moneyball was going to write a story about how small market teams were competing. He narrowed it down to A's and Twins, Twins and Ryan were actually his first choice. I don't remember what happened to change that - A's offered more access? - but he decided to write about the A's instead. Rest is history.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    The Twins did not want to be part of the book from what I've heard. Obviously the Twins version would not have been called "Moneyball" probably something like "Smallball." But the big question is, would Brad Pitt really have been able to play Terry Ryan? He would have had to go pre-teen Benjamin Button to pull that one off.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did not actually know that. I did not read the book, obviously. I had just assumed that it was orignally setup to be a book about the exact way the A's maximized on their payroll issues, by relying on statistics (OBP, mainly) instead of "the sound of the bat" kind of scouting. Interesting.

They would have had to cast Ed Harris as Terry Ryan.

Jonah Hill likely would have stayed on to play Bill Smith.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    This could be interesting, or not. Given that all these guys can sign for is $100K, I'm guessing a lot of HS kids and their parents will be deciding between $50K-$100K, and going to college. I'd probably choose college, much more likely path to a future. OTOH, there is plenty of time for that, and why not roll the dice on a 2-3 years of playing baseball for a living (and then going to college later, if you need to).
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 132 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    This could be interesting, or not. Given that all these guys can sign for is $100K, I'm guessing a lot of HS kids and their parents will be deciding between $50K-$100K, and going to college. I'd probably choose college, much more likely path to a future. OTOH, there is plenty of time for that, and why not roll the dice on a 2-3 years of playing baseball for a living (and then going to college later, if you need to).
    Well, if you're playing college ball, the college is likely free or cheaper if you have a scholarship, depending on the school you go to, and there is potential for you to get drafted higher in a few years.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Uh oh. The Twins just drafted another Hicks. Dalton Hicks, 1B a junior from Central Florida. Let the confusion begin!
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Well, if you're playing college ball, the college is likely free or cheaper if you have a scholarship, depending on the school you go to, and there is potential for you to get drafted higher in a few years.
    Good point, I'd choose college on a scholarship over minor league baseball any day.....but then, I'm not potential professional athlete either.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    There are plenty of these kids that have no intention of going to college though. Some know they wouldn't make the grades, others just want to play baseball no matter what the pay. There will be many players who have told scouts they are planning to go to college to try to leverage a better draft position and slot but were never seriously considering school.

Senior Member All-Star
    I did a google search for Dalton Hicks. He was on the MaxPreps 2008 all-american team. Not too significant but also on the list was Danny Hultzen, Garrett Cole, Kyle Skipworth, Eric Hosmer, Tim Beckham, Casey Kelly, Matt Hogood and the Twins very own BJ Hermson and Aaron Hicks. Some pretty impressive company, so if he's still any good he'll probably be going back for his SR year.

Senior Member All-Star
    I see the Orioles just drafted a 1B from a Maryland HS named Ryan Ripken. Might be some nepotism going on here!

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I see the Orioles just drafted a 1B from a Maryland HS named Ryan Ripken. Might be some nepotism going on here!
    No! That sort of thing doesn't happen in the MLB draft!!!!!!!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Good point, I'd choose college on a scholarship over minor league baseball any day.....but then, I'm not potential professional athlete either.
    There is the MLB tuition program that they can negotiate in their first contract. Given that schools only have on average 12 scholarships to divide between the players it might be more profitable to negotiate with a team for the max bonus with max scholarship money. One would hope that the teams would be smart enough to have people motivated and organized. I know, there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Back when the events in Moneyball took place, the Twins won a lot of games with one of the smallest payrolls in the game. That was also the year of the Twins becoming relevant to the AL Central again.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Round 21 TTech Catcher Bo Altobelli
    Round 22 Oregon HS catcher Joshua Graham
    Round 23 U/Nebraska P Travis Huber

Moneyball followed the 2002 Oakland A's, so it was obviously determined before hand which team to follow. In the 3 years leading up to the book, the A's won; 87, 91 and 102 games. The Twins won; 63, 69 and 85.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yankees just drafted Vincent Jackson. Hope for their sake they don't think they're getting Bo.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast