Thread: Article: Tuesday's Trip through the Minors

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Tuesday's Trip through the Minors

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ouch, looks like everyone has been losing quite a bit recently. Well, except the big league Twins.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hermsen met some good hitters and the ball flew around on him. He seems to give up a lot of base runners. He needs to get on the 40 man, earn some more more money and start eating steak so he can get some extra mph on that fastball

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Hermsen met some good hitters and the ball flew around on him. He seems to give up a lot of base runners. He needs to get on the 40 man, earn some more more money and start eating steak so he can get some extra mph on that fastball
    Hermsen actually leads all Twins minor league starters in WHIP (1.02). He doesn't walk anybody though (only 5 BB in 48.2 IP with New Britain), so that basically means he's giving up 1 hit per inning. I keep thinking he's going to hit a wall because of his velocity, but he hasn't yet. Maybe he just understands how to get people out a lot better than most.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    Hermsen actually leads all Twins minor league starters in WHIP (1.02). He doesn't walk anybody though (only 5 BB in 48.2 IP with New Britain), so that basically means he's giving up 1 hit per inning. I keep thinking he's going to hit a wall because of his velocity, but he hasn't yet. Maybe he just understands how to get people out a lot better than most.
    Yea, he's definitely a control guy. Guys like that can go far if they can minimize the hits in a row. I'm not sure what his fastball tops out at -- 87 or so??
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    When I've seen him with a gun trained on him he sat 82-84, topping out at 86. But I'd guess he's a tick or two better than that as a season wears on. I think Seth has written before that he sits 88-90, and can touch 92, so who knows, but I think that's being generous.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's likely with the 4-seamer. With the 2-seamer, the ball moves and sinks like crazy, but that one tops out at like 87.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    I have to believe when I've seen him he wasn't throwing strictly 2-seamers, but I can confirm the movement he's got. At ST this year he actually walked about 5 guys in one outing I watched. It was like he was getting too much movement (if that's possible), and couldn't locate because of it. That was all mixed in with a bunch of weak contact so he didn't really get rocked though.