Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Game 55--Twins v. Royals 6/5/2012

  1. #21
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,574
    Like
    2,585
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    more than one way to skin a cat (not endorsing that for the politically correct crowd).
    How do you feel about straw men instead?

  2. #22
    What the hell was that, Butera?

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    You're right, they sure showed that last night. The point is poor pitching nets the results from last night, good pitching nets results like they had against Liriano.
    **sigh** Just because they had a good night does not mean they are a good hitting team; they just had a good or lucky day. When a blind squirrel finds an acorn, it doesn't mean the squirrel is no longer blind; it just had a good or lucky day. Hence the analogy.

    And the thesis others are making is that Frankie's numbers last outing might not have looked so good if he had faced a team that consistently hits better - such as Texas. Some of the pitches that got by Oakland hitters for strikes might have been put into play by a stronger lineup. We know from bitter experience earlier this season that sometimes anemic hitting can make even questionable pitching look good. That's why some of us are waiting to see if the results are reproduceable before we proclaim that Liriano is back.

  4. #24
    Bruce Chen's pickoff move is about as close as a pitcher can get to balking, without actually balking. Some of those are pretty borderline.

  5. #25
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,526
    Like
    847
    Liked 1,187 Times in 634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    **sigh** Just because they had a good night does not mean they are a good hitting team; they just had a good or lucky day. When a blind squirrel finds an acorn, it doesn't mean the squirrel is no longer blind; it just had a good or lucky day. Hence the analogy.

    And the thesis others are making is that Frankie's numbers last outing might not have looked so good if he had faced a team that consistently hits better - such as Texas. Some of the pitches that got by Oakland hitters for strikes might have been put into play by a stronger lineup. We know from bitter experience earlier this season that sometimes anemic hitting can make even questionable pitching look good. That's why some of us are waiting to see if the results are reproduceable before we proclaim that Liriano is back.

    Sigh, he had a good game, stop the over analysis, that's all it is.

  6. #26
    Judging by this game, Bruce Chen is a dominating, Cy Young Award candidate.

  7. #27
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,526
    Like
    847
    Liked 1,187 Times in 634 Posts
    That is good pitching.

  8. #28
    Here's some actual analysis about Liriano's last start, and what made it particularly good: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...he-zone-again/

  9. #29
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,627
    Like
    1,125
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    But if the game ended tonight, he'd get a loss. Such a stupid stat....glad to see him pitching well again. I don't care who it is against, it's good to see him pitch well.
    Lighten up Francis....

  10. #30
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,526
    Like
    847
    Liked 1,187 Times in 634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deanlambrecht View Post
    Here's some actual analysis about Liriano's last start, and what made it particularly good: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...he-zone-again/
    Great stuff and anyone who actually saw the game would come to the same conclusion. I wonder what the issue will be tonight from the glass half empty crowd.

  11. #31
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,526
    Like
    847
    Liked 1,187 Times in 634 Posts
    Let's string some hits together, we can't afford to waste pitching like this.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Posts
    244
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Come on guys, let's get a run. When we get pitching performances like this, especially from a guy who has been struggling, we have got to come through with some runs.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

  13. #33
    Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Posts
    244
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Come on Span, let's take advantage of the extra out this inning!
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

  14. #34
    Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Posts
    244
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Carroll and Dozier have all 4 of our hits. Let's pick up the slack.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

  15. #35
    Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Posts
    244
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    2-4 hitters coming up in the 9th. Time for Willingham and Morneau to do some damage!
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

  16. #36
    Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Posts
    244
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Nice line shot by the Hammer. Time for Justin to drive him in.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

  17. #37
    Not pinch-running for Willingham.....I don't get it.

  18. #38
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,515
    Like
    3,533
    Liked 3,024 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Is morneau's wrist hurting again? He has had some ugly swings.

  19. #39
    Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Posts
    244
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Is morneau's wrist hurting again? He has had some ugly swings.
    Bremer just mentioned that it looked like he might have tweaked it an earlier at-bat.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

  20. #40
    Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Posts
    244
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Dang it. That was a pretty good poke by Plouffe, but it was not to be.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.