Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: 2012 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know projections for these players sometimes turn out to be untrue, but it seem like nearly every single pitcher the Twins have drafted has ties to the bullpen. They have said they will give some of them chances to start; although, I think it's strange they haven't really drafted a "true" starting pitcher. Maybe they are hoping some of these power arm guys can be dominant, successful starters?

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not a deep starting pitching draft from what i've heard outside the 1st round.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    YHIMH, it's not like the prospect ranks aren't full of middle relievers already! Oh wait . . . that is PRECISELY where the Twins have the most depth in the system.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No kidding shanewahl! It doesn't help that relievers have zero value in rebuilding a franchise too. I can't complain about the Buxton pick, but this has me scratching my head.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I honestly don't distinguish much between the value of guys projected to top out at a back of the rotation starter and a good bullpen arm. Given that this draft supposedly had few, if any, projected top of the rotation pitchers (and virtually none after the top 4-5 guys), I guess I don't have a problem with picking hard throwing guys with less milage on their arms, regardless of what role some college or HS coach has slotted them in to.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Blog Entries
    They must be thinking of converting these comparatively underused arms into some starting pitching at the lower levels. Maybe a couple of them stick there.

Agreed...like every major league baseball draft...let's evaluate this 3 years from now to see where these guys are going. I would be more interested in hearing from the Twins what their initial plan for these pitchers are...are they going to be starters out of the gate or right to the bullpen. Again, week starting pitching crop...why try to fit a square peg in a round hole if it doesn't make sense. Pick the guys that you think you might be able to develop. There is not going to be any immediate help to the Major League roster this year, next year or maybe even the year after that from this years crop. That's how it works in baseball.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    They must be thinking of converting these comparatively underused arms into some starting pitching at the lower levels. Maybe a couple of them stick there.
    Isn't there a new Twins Territory commercial already in production, the Big Hrbowski is bowling in the center lane, and suddenly all of those unused lanes to the left and right are anointed by Gardy, and then the new anonymous RPs are throwing strikes down the alleys.

The tag line going out:

"The Minnesota Twins- Less is More"
    Last edited by jokin; 06-05-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    YHIMH, it's not like the prospect ranks aren't full of middle relievers already! Oh wait . . . that is PRECISELY where the Twins have the most depth in the system.

Not sure what exactly you're talking about here. How much depth to do the Twins have in bullpen prospects? There's a handful of guys, Slama, Waldrop, Guerra, Albers etc. that are putting up good numbers in the minors. But nobody thinks any of them will be elite relievers (or really even close to that). Of all the guys the Twins grabbed this year, there's a chance they may have found a future 'ace' reliever.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTwins View Post
    Not sure what exactly you're talking about here. How much depth to do the Twins have in bullpen prospects? There's a handful of guys, Slama, Waldrop, Guerra, Albers etc. that are putting up good numbers in the minors. But nobody thinks any of them will be elite relievers (or really even close to that). Of all the guys the Twins grabbed this year, there's a chance they may have found a future 'ace' reliever.
    I agree with the first part, but the "future ace' sounds a bit like a "wild thing" without the high strike out rate. Again, confounding.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My hope is that they are picking guys who can throw 95-99 (most of these relievers can) as relievers can move to starters next spring and be able to throw 93-95 as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    My hope is that they are picking guys who can throw 95-99 (most of these relievers can) as relievers can move to starters next spring and be able to throw 93-95 as a starter.
    You may be forgetting that as Twins prospects they will be asked to back off a little in order to have better control. Leaving them between 89-92 :-).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    I'm guessing Slama is gone after this year unless he is promoted to the Twins. I believe that he can become a 6-year minor league free agent after this season and will elect to do so and who can blame him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTwins View Post
    There are a dozen guys you didn't mention at least. Oliveros, Robertson, Williams, Hauser, Achter, Bowen, Watts, Pugh, etc. And the general movement is from starter to reliever when guys can't cut it as starters. The point is that it is truly the one area with a lot of depth, at least compared to everything else besides OF.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suppose there is minor league depth in relievers. But IMO I don't see any who could be an 'ace' reliever. Not saying any of the new draft picks do, I don't know any more about them than their BA and MLB.com scouting reports, but they could move up fast and provide actual major league production. Just like anybody, I'd rather they be solid starters than solid relievers. But looking around the MLB right now, there's a ton of value in having young, cost-controlled guys filling up the bullpen.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I agree with the first part, but the "future ace' sounds a bit like a "wild thing" without the high strike out rate. Again, confounding.
    For the record, I'm not specifically suggesting anyone of these guys is future 'ace' relievers. Though MLB.com and BA scouting reports suggested a couple have that ceiling.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the draft goes through Rd. 15 today, Seth, but don't quote me on that

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it goes through 15 today.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I"ve updated 11 thru 15.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast