Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Span or Buxton?

Liked 81 Times in 61 Posts
    A second on the "way to go, guys" re: this site! I find so much to read here, I don't post as much as I have on other sites
    And welcome to the new guy and all those that will follow!

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    Buxton himself could become a valuable trade piece for an area of need when he gets closer to being big league ready, who knows but they did take the best player available, that's kind of a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    With the Twins taking outfielder Byron Buxton with the #2 overall pick yesterday, the take I took from that is that Span is not long for this team, and that the Twins wanted to draft an outfielder that could take over for him after a few years of Revere in center.
    You cannot be serious? I understand some people are new to how the MLB draft works, but this draft pick has ZERO effect on Denard Span.

Liked 696 Times in 365 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Hey, Buxton is 10-1 as a pitcher, so there's that
    And he has good velocity, so maybe they should try him as a pitcher-outfielder. It worked for Babe Ruth, at least while he was young.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestMeat View Post
    Hi guys, been keeping up with the forum for a few weeks but didn't register until today. By far the best Twins forum I have seen, so cheers. Anyway...

Seems like our outfield prospect list is getting crowded. Inevitably at LEAST one of them won't pan out to the level that we thought. Do we make our best guess and start dealing for other needs (pitching), or do we let them fight it out and eat the present dealing value of the ones that don't end up contributing?
    Welcome new member!

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    Or maybe he is as polished as Mauer and is starting in 2015.
    Exactly. I know that a lot of us are frustrated with how slowly the Twins move certain prospects through the system, but when they have an elite, polished, MLB-ready prospect they have shown the propensity to bring them up at an early age. Mauer was 20 when he made his first MLB start at one of the most complicated and demanding positions in the game. They even moved a quality catcher in Pierzynski to make room for him. We obviously have no idea how quickly Buxton will develop, but I don't think the Twins will automatically keep him in the minors until he is 23-24 years old if he is showing he is ready for the show at 20-21 years old.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsGuy55422 View Post
    Exactly. I know that a lot of us are frustrated with how slowly the Twins move certain prospects through the system, but when they have an elite, polished, MLB-ready prospect they have shown the propensity to bring them up at an early age. Mauer was 20 when he made his first MLB start at one of the most complicated and demanding positions in the game. They even moved a quality catcher in Pierzynski to make room for him. We obviously have no idea how quickly Buxton will develop, but I don't think the Twins will automatically keep him in the minors until he is 23-24 years old if he is showing he is ready for the show at 20-21 years old.
    Another excellent point. Maybe he is a phenom and will indeed become the next Willie Mays. Willie took about 4 years to make it to the show. There is at least a chance that Buxton will have a HOF career -- he clearly has great tools, but it remains to be seen whether he is one of the lucky few who can put it all together. His high upside gives reason to be optimistic.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsGuy55422 View Post
    Exactly, it he's not up by the end of the 2016 season, that means something went wrong. Either injury or just overall lack of production. He'll play with the GCL this year. Next year is a toss up but no matter what he starts 2014 with Fort Myers(meaning if he plays for E-twins next year and plays well, he skips Beloit the following season). 2015 he starts in New Britain and ends in AAA. 2016 he makes his debut at some point. Again, this is assuming he performs well and avoids major injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Or Ben Revere is the guy traded . . .
    Revere is blocking nobody but Clete Thomas, Brian Dinkleman and Erik Komatsu from the majors.

and to the original point. Span is in no way blocking buxton. He will finish his current deal before Buxton is called up. If he remains with the team, as he's going to be slowing down... he'll likley be playing RF/backup CF making plenty of room for Buxton to play center.

Trading Span is a terrible idea right now... maybe during the last year of his deal if the Twins are out of it at the deadline... but before that it's foolish.

Who leads off for this team when Span goes? Twins will have to go outside the organization to replace Span's spot in the lineup...

And finally, i can't say it enough. Ben Revere is a bench player.

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Well, Mauer was born into a baseball family and competed as a youth at a higher level of competition than Buxton, whose father seems to have topped out in slow-pitch leagues.
    It's likely that both players played on youth traveling baseball teams. Both players played high school baseball, basketball and football. Both were high school quarterbacks. Both players played baseball on high school showcase teams after the high school season was over. Buxton pitched; Mauer didn't. Buxton has better foot speed. I don't see how Buxton's father's level of play could have any effect on Byron's abilities. I can see where Joe having brothers that played baseball would (possibly) make him a better player. I guess what I'm saying is I don't see that Mauer's youth history would give him much more polish than Byron's.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

This may be the worst thread start ive seen on here. No association between Buxton draft pick and Span.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    IMO Span will be with the Twins longer than Joe Mauer will.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    It's likely that both players played on youth traveling baseball teams. Both players played high school baseball, basketball and football. Both were high school quarterbacks. Both players played baseball on high school showcase teams after the high school season was over. Buxton pitched; Mauer didn't. Buxton has better foot speed. I don't see how Buxton's father's level of play could have any effect on Byron's abilities. I can see where Joe having brothers that played baseball would (possibly) make him a better player. I guess what I'm saying is I don't see that Mauer's youth history would give him much more polish than Byron's.
    I agree with your point... Mauer did pitch in High School though (like Buxton, he likely would've been a 1st rounder as a pitcher)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    There is no relationship between the Twins taking Buxton and Denard Span.
    Exactly! Just as the Twins drafted Span in 2002 even though a guy named Torii Hunter was playing Gold Glove caliber CF. By the time Buxton is ready for The Show, Span may have already been replaced by Revere, Benson or even Hicks.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cr9617 View Post
    One thing has nothing to do with the other. They took the best guy on the board
    My thoughts exactly. It will be years before we see Buxton in Minnesota. Span's future is more dependent on his own performance and that of the the Twin's win/lose record. Benson, Hicks and the rest are not close to a current level of play that could replace Span at the major league level.

I also agree that TR does not view this team as in rebuilding mode. As a GM you can't. I can see him trading some assets away to acquire some starting pitching for next year, but in no way can think that TR has given up on 2013, 2014 and already slotted them as rebuilding years.

I think somebody is confusing the MLB draft with those in the NFL and/or NBA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12