Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Goessling: Twins' medical staff to play bigger role in the draft

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Goessling: Twins' medical staff to play bigger role in the draft

According to the Pioneer Press's Ben Goessling, because of the rash of recent pitching picks who have suffered injuries, the Twins will be using their medical staff more intricately when evaluating potential selections:

Their response was to revamp the process the Twins use to evaluate the medical histories of amateur players they scout, soliciting more input from their major league medical staff than they ever have. Instead of getting doctors involved toward the end of the scouting process, Twins scouts consulted them to raise appropriate red flags sooner.
    This is a good start for the franchise - probably a bit behind the curve compared to other organizations in getting out in front with research, but the right direction nonetheless. Now, if the team really wanted to achieve the Extra 2%, they would have bio-mechanical analysts offering their opinions on the pitcher's mechanics as well.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the bio-mechanical idea. It could really help a young pitcher change his mechanics early if it will help him in the long run.
    I bent my wookie...

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a good thing, if you trust the Twins' medical stuff. Based on the mis-diagnoses and mis-treatments within the organization, I am not sure that I trust them.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    This is a good thing, if you trust the Twins' medical stuff. Based on the mis-diagnoses and mis-treatments within the organization, I am not sure that I trust them.
    That's the big caveat.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Good news. Not sure how that jibes with their third pick yesterday...but good news (from a process perspective, at least).
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What could possibly go wrong?

The Twins medical staff doesnt know the difference between a sprained ankle and a sprained UCL. I hope they hire real medical professionals to do these predraft reviews

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    ... Now, if the team really wanted to achieve the Extra 2%, they would have bio-mechanical analysts offering their opinions on the pitcher's mechanics as well.
    If you're referring to Mike Marshall or a comparable analyst, rightly or wrongly, that's WAY too big of a culture shock. I don't think the Twins will go gentle into that night.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    If you're referring to Mike Marshall or a comparable analyst, rightly or wrongly, that's WAY too big of a culture shock. I don't think the Twins will go gentle into that night.
    Not necessarily Marshall. More of the Kyle Boddy-types who do analysis like this one on Appel: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...erall-in-2012/

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Not necessarily Marshall. More of the Kyle Boddy-types who do analysis like this one on Appel: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...erall-in-2012/
    Thanks for the referal. Interesting read. I'd be surprised if the Twins didn't already take advantage of comparing the mechanics of potential employees with the average values. Do you know that they don't?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,240 Times in 493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I'd be surprised if the Twins didn't already take advantage of comparing the mechanics of potential employees with the average values.
    This isn't exactly the most progressive of organizations.