Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Goessling: Twins' medical staff to play bigger role in the draft

  1. #1
    Owner All-Star Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Posts
    1,052
    Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Like
    2
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    230

    Goessling: Twins' medical staff to play bigger role in the draft

    According to the Pioneer Press's Ben Goessling, because of the rash of recent pitching picks who have suffered injuries, the Twins will be using their medical staff more intricately when evaluating potential selections:

    Their response was to revamp the process the Twins use to evaluate the medical histories of amateur players they scout, soliciting more input from their major league medical staff than they ever have. Instead of getting doctors involved toward the end of the scouting process, Twins scouts consulted them to raise appropriate red flags sooner.
    This is a good start for the franchise - probably a bit behind the curve compared to other organizations in getting out in front with research, but the right direction nonetheless. Now, if the team really wanted to achieve the Extra 2%, they would have bio-mechanical analysts offering their opinions on the pitcher's mechanics as well.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Triple-A Gernzy's Avatar
    Posts
    431
    Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Like
    1
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I like the bio-mechanical idea. It could really help a young pitcher change his mechanics early if it will help him in the long run.
    I bent my wookie...

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,167
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    This is a good thing, if you trust the Twins' medical stuff. Based on the mis-diagnoses and mis-treatments within the organization, I am not sure that I trust them.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  4. #4
    Owner All-Star Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Posts
    1,052
    Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Like
    2
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    This is a good thing, if you trust the Twins' medical stuff. Based on the mis-diagnoses and mis-treatments within the organization, I am not sure that I trust them.
    That's the big caveat.

  5. #5
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Good news. Not sure how that jibes with their third pick yesterday...but good news (from a process perspective, at least).
    Lighten up Francis....

  6. #6
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    240
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What could possibly go wrong?

  7. #7
    The Twins medical staff doesnt know the difference between a sprained ankle and a sprained UCL. I hope they hire real medical professionals to do these predraft reviews

  8. #8
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    153
    Like
    0
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    ... Now, if the team really wanted to achieve the Extra 2%, they would have bio-mechanical analysts offering their opinions on the pitcher's mechanics as well.
    If you're referring to Mike Marshall or a comparable analyst, rightly or wrongly, that's WAY too big of a culture shock. I don't think the Twins will go gentle into that night.

  9. #9
    Owner All-Star Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Posts
    1,052
    Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Like
    2
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    If you're referring to Mike Marshall or a comparable analyst, rightly or wrongly, that's WAY too big of a culture shock. I don't think the Twins will go gentle into that night.
    Not necessarily Marshall. More of the Kyle Boddy-types who do analysis like this one on Appel: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...erall-in-2012/

  10. #10
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    153
    Like
    0
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Not necessarily Marshall. More of the Kyle Boddy-types who do analysis like this one on Appel: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...erall-in-2012/
    Thanks for the referal. Interesting read. I'd be surprised if the Twins didn't already take advantage of comparing the mechanics of potential employees with the average values. Do you know that they don't?

  11. #11
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,072
    Like
    1,804
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I'd be surprised if the Twins didn't already take advantage of comparing the mechanics of potential employees with the average values.
    This isn't exactly the most progressive of organizations.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.