Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Limited Options Limt Twins Options

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ...add Terry Doyle to the list and suddenly someone will have to be exposed to waivers.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't look at Maloney or Gray as locks. They'll get looks in spring training but it's not like they're quality homegrown prospects that the Twins will be fearful of exposing to waivers.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe I am nieve to think this way, but I believe of the 66 players the best 25 will make the team. I don't think the option issue will have as big an impact as you seem to think geek. I agree with Nick that Maloney and Gray are far from locks they have so many bullpen arms that the only way they make team is if they earn it this spring its not like they are sure things that need to be protected. Terry Doyle is the same thing as if he was as good as some are making it out to be than the Sox wouldnt have left him unprotected. When it comes to Plouffe and Hughes I believe they will make it because they are the best options the Twins have right now for their bench not because they are out of options. Like I said it may make me seem nieve, but I truly believe the Twins will take the 25 guys who they believe will give them the best chance to win when the season starts and options will have nothing to do with it.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that there is some room to work at the back of the 40 man roster. I think that Gray and Maloney and Doyle may have an inside track due to their situations (out of options, Rule 5), but at the same time, there are som good arms that could be interchangeable that signed to minor league contracts. If you believe in Jared Burton and he performs in spring and Gray struggles, then you DFA Gray and have Burton take his spot on the 40 man roster and on the 25 man roster.

I don't necessarily believe that the best 25 players are the ones who should come up. If as an organization, you believe it is in the best long-term interest to keep Lester Oliveros and/or Alex Burnett in AAA for a couple of months, then someone like Gray (who may or may not be lesser, frankly, I don't think any of us Twins fans know for sure yet), then it makes sense to not (potentially) lose a right-handed option like Gray.

I have a hard time believing Maloney is an option for a big league spot without some injuries. (which, of course, happen)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is the worst bullpen in MLB with their best pitcher Joe Nathan gone. I’m still shocked the Twins front office did not add Wheeler, Coffey, Linebrook, or Wuertz to stabilize an island of misfit toys. Jeff Gray and Matt Maloney are quite frankly a joke and have no business taking up 40-man roster spots. I like the Jason Bulger signing and will be interested to see what he can do. I’m so sick and tired of hearing about how great Jared Burton could be in the bullpen. The guy throws 89 MPH and has had severe shoulder problems the last two seasons. He is BUM!!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Jack... Burton is a BUM... Zumaya is an injury risk... yet Michael Wuertz is a guarantee to stabilize the bullpen??

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,
    Michael Wuertz isbetter than most of the Twins bullpen right now and was not signed because ofmoney. He is much better than Burnett,Duensing, and Swarzak and they are locks to make the roster. He is also better than your hero Jared Burton,Terry Doyle, and Jeff Gray. If youhonestly believe Joel Zumaya will stay healthy this season you are not justbeing optimistic but naÔve. Zumaya willbe hurt before spring training ends you can count on it. If Wuertz is injured than the Twins did theright thing by not signing him but that does not explain passing on Wheeler andCoffey. See Tigers owner Mike Illichdoes not worry about money and that is why his team wins. It’s really shameful the front office letthree of their best players leave, cut payroll by $15 million, and tell thepublic we are trying to win. The frontoffice is like used car salesman and for whatever reason fans just buy it. Sorry the good Lord gave me a brain to thinkwith and I’m just not that stupid. WHATHAPPENED AGAIN LAST SEASON WITH THE BULLPEN YOU SAID WOULD BE JUST FINE AFTERLOSING RAUCH, CRAIN, FUENTES, AND GUERRIER?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    We don't know if he's better. In fact, we don't know if he's even healthy. It has nothing to do with money because he's not getting a major league contract at this point.

Isn't the Tigers payroll less this year than last year also?

I was wrong last year, although if you recall, I did say I would bring back Crain, but I still believe in the philosophy.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    So this explains everything finally. Now I know why the Twins never made any real move besides Ryan Doumit & Josh Willingham. They were limited because of no openings on the roster. LOL I'm not sure if some of these pitchers that were brought in would make the St. Paul Saints... Way to go Mr Ryan great job once again.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not huge on Wuertz, but it has been a collossal mistake to not get another semi-reliable right-handed arm to add to the Twins bullpen. They were there, they were cheap and there is almost definitely going to be a need. It might be that the Twins are having some trouble objectively evaluating their in-house options.