Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do they rank?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Where do they rank?

Where do you guys think the players we have drafted rank in our farm system?

2, 14, and 112, respectively.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Rank by whom? BA and KLAW had these two pitchers way down their ranks, and had them as likely to be relief pitchers, not starters. So, Buxton is #2, and the other guys are out of the top 10 by BA and KLAW I'd guess, maybe 8th or worse for the best of them, and 15th for the other.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I put Buxton at 4 behind Sano, Rosario, and Arcia. Not sure how anyone could put a high school player higher than someone raking at A+ at the moment. I don't know what to say about Berrios at the moment. Maybe around where Boyd is in the teens. Bard? Um, not really sure what to think. I regard that pick as very very strange. I would imagine he would have been available at even 72.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For me and my rankings, I would have Buxton at 2 or 3 depending upon how Rosario is doing. Probably 2.

I would have Berrios right around 10, which is where I have last year's supp 1st rounder Hudson Boyd.

as for Bard, if they try him as a starter, I'd put him around 15. If he'll be a reliever, I'd probably put him around 30, around where I have Oliveros, certainly ahead of Guerra.

Senior Member MVP
    Ouch, your supplemental pick shouldn't be your 30th best prospect.....I take it you find that pick less than ideal Seth?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buxton easily rates as #2 behind Sano. Better Bat and power combination than Rosario had coming out of the draft, also much faster and much bigger arm. You have to like how Rosario has produced thus far, but still not enough to keep a kid with Buxton's talents lagging behind him. Berrios is just outside the top 10 for me, Bard not in the Top 20. They'll give him the chance to start and work on his secondary stuff, but I'd put the probability of him being a strict reliever at about 90%, think Carlos Gutierrez. Some intriguing pitchers still available, though a few of them might be tough signs: Hunter Virant, Mitch Brown, Ty Buttrey, Alex Wood. Still plenty to restock some pitching, though not necessarily any future #1's or #2's, which it can be argued there weren't many of them anywhere in this draft, or any draft for that matter.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good god, if you guys were THAT high on Buxton, you all should have been advocating fully for his selection at #2. No one else should have been considered at all!

I will wait to actually see how he plays. Not that he is Levi Michael AT ALL, but plenty of people wanted to put Michael in the top 10, some maybe top 5 before seeing him play. Michael was thought to be taken a bit lower than expected in a much more talented draft, a draft that some say Buxton would have been selected 7th or 8th in himself . . .

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MWW - it's not that I don't like the Bard pick. he's probably the top reliever in a strong farm system of relievers... I just don't rank relievers very high.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I cannot see how you rank an OF with decent tools ahead of a 2B with probably better tools
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    shanewahl, that's not thinking behind me not wanting to draft Buxton (And it's not like I "hate" the pick, not even close). He absolutely has the highest ceiling of any of the players in this draft, but with his profile that comes with considerably more risk, and high bust potential as well. Then throw in the fact that he's not going to be a fast mover through the system, and you start looking at 2016 and 2017 as the years he might make it to the Majors. I want the Twins to be rebuilding to be a playoff team in 2014 or 2015, thus he doesn't help for that in any way. If rebuilding for 2014, 2015, they absolutely HAD TO select a pitcher that could sit at the front end of a rotation for those years. Mauer and Morneau (the current "wave" of talent) are 29 and 31 years old already and running out of time to do something with their "prime" years. I would want to do everything in my power to get them the help they need to try and bring Minnesota a title. Drafting Buxton for sure doesn't do that, one of the pitchers could have. That's my thought process anyway.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I cannot see how you rank an OF with decent tools ahead of a 2B with probably better tools
    Rosario definitely gets a boost to his stock by moving to 2B, but that's still not enough. There's a reason Buxton was picked #2 (and would be Top-10 in any draft), and Eddie was a 4th rounder.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I really think that our top 10 or 20 prospects will look a lot different come August 1.

I'd probably have Buxton 2nd or 3rd in our system. It all depends on what your ranking philosophy is. Personally, I'll rank Buxton that high because his ceiling is far above anyone in our system save Sano and MAYBE Hicks, but that ceiling is clearly lowering for him.

Buxton is a top 25 talent in all of baseball, right now. Yes, Rosario is playing second base but there's certainly no guarantee that he'll stick there and play it well, quite yet. Also, the guys are in low and high A respectively (in Arcia's case) so it's not like they are in AAA just waiting for their call up. They have plenty left to prove as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Umm, what exact tools are you talking about that Rosario has better than Buxton? Not Arm, Glove or Speed, thats for sure. The other 2 tools, hit and power, Buxton projects as much higher potential. Will he reach that? Who knows

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PMKI View Post
    I really think that our top 10 or 20 prospects will look a lot different come August 1.
    If we play it smart, that should certainly be the case.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    shanewahl, that's not thinking behind me not wanting to draft Buxton (And it's not like I "hate" the pick, not even close). He absolutely has the highest ceiling of any of the players in this draft, but with his profile that comes with considerably more risk, and high bust potential as well. Then throw in the fact that he's not going to be a fast mover through the system, and you start looking at 2016 and 2017 as the years he might make it to the Majors. I want the Twins to be rebuilding to be a playoff team in 2014 or 2015, thus he doesn't help for that in any way. If rebuilding for 2014, 2015, they absolutely HAD TO select a pitcher that could sit at the front end of a rotation for those years. Mauer and Morneau (the current "wave" of talent) are 29 and 31 years old already and running out of time to do something with their "prime" years. I would want to do everything in my power to get them the help they need to try and bring Minnesota a title. Drafting Buxton for sure doesn't do that, one of the pitchers could have. That's my thought process anyway.
    I would agree with this. I think you definitely want to rebuild to make a run while these guys are in their primes if it's possible. Obviously, getting to the World Series is exciting whenever it happens but it would be a little less sweet if it were to happen when Mauer is 37 years old and not a part of the core. Not that I expect this to happen, but I suppose it's possible that Buxton develops quicker than expected and is with the team in 3 years.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Senior Member MVP
    In fairness to thrylos, Rosario is actually showing it in A ball, Buxton is all projection right now (especially given the competition he's faced, and he's 18.5 years old in HS). That has to be worth something when assessing a player....
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    What you are saying makes a lot of sense to me. However, if Buxton gets off to a good start, it might be possible to trade him for a stud pitcher who might be ready by 2015. I think that might be part of the rationale for drafting the best player available.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone want to give any rankings for the guys that were drafted today?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast