Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Draft Discussion: Day 2

Maybe the brain trust has a new idea for pitching. Three innings every third day. A closer and a spare. 11 pitchers.
    You know, you're probably not serious, but I have wondered if anyone has ever tried this. I don't see an obvious reason why not.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    jeffk, it was tried in the 70s, I think, but it was too big a culture change for teams to adopt. Also, pitchers hate it because it means they make A LOT less money. I'd try it if I had a staff as bad as the Twins, afterall, it can't be worse. But it's just not something anyone in baseball is likely to try.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
    You know, you're probably not serious, but I have wondered if anyone has ever tried this. I don't see an obvious reason why not.
    Billy Martin tried it out of a similar desperation that the Twins now share. After some initial success with the Oakland As, there were some arms that ended up being overworked, defeating the whole initial philosophy. With agents' heavy influence on the game, this plan can only be implemented on fringe, non-competitive, low-payroll teams like Oakland or KC.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yet another catcher taken before the Twins . . .

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    There is always plenty of talk about college coaches abusing the arms of the starters, and teams are concerned about the high number of pitches they go through per start. This practice may not be connected, but the Twins have recently been stung by Gibson and Wimmers going down. I don't want to claim the Twins are drafting college bullpen arms with the plan to convert them to starters because they see it as a way of getting around the typical abuse to college starters arms, but it may have factored into the decisioning.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How many of the Top 100 Prospects are still on the board? And, if any, is there a chance that they fall to the Twins with their next pick?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    There is always plenty of talk about college coaches abusing the arms of the starters, and teams are concerned about the high number of pitches they go through per start. This practice may not be connected, but the Twins have recently been stung by Gibson and Wimmers going down. I don't want to claim the Twins are drafting college bullpen arms with the plan to convert them to starters because they see it as a way of getting around the typical abuse to college starters arms, but it may have factored into the decisioning.
    Certainly there are relievers who could become starters, yes. I hope you are right. That is a good point.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who knows anything about this Zach Jones? (other than he is a pitcher)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Mostly a reliever, again. Good number of strikeouts and without the walks.

Maybe they are onto something with converting some of these guys to starters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Ha, the profile video for him on MLB's site is only of him taking uppercut swings at fastballs. So not sure about his pitching ability. Pretty big upper body for his height it looked like.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is what i saw too. Not much of a scouting video....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Mostly a reliever, again. Good number of strikeouts and without the walks.

Maybe they are onto something with converting some of these guys to starters.
    It's not like teams haven't tried before, Twins included. There is a reason those guys are relievers. At least with a high school player there is more upside remaining. This is just a fail strategy that does nothing to address the needs of the system.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, the Twins are sticking to what we thought they would, just not exactly; while they may not have drafted any solid SP prospects, they have drafted 5 pitchers in 7 draft picks.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Any chance we can grab Ty Buttrey, Hunter Virant, Walker Buehler, or any of those HS arms and sign them?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, the Twins are sticking to what we thought they would, just not exactly; while they may not have drafted any solid SP prospects, they have drafted 5 pitchers in 7 draft picks.
    "Less is More" "Quantity not Quality" Spread the $12 Million around, pay under slot as much as possible, find the diamond in the rough in the later rounds.

I don't understand this at all. It's hard for me to imagine star, elite pitchers in amateur baseball (HS and college) being thrown in the bullpen unless there was a REASON they weren't starters. I'm sure it's possible to convert one or two of these guys, but why do it?

I'm not even as alarmed by the fact that they're drafting 18 year olds instead of 20-22 year-old college pitchers, I get that this is more long-term. But if you're drafting these relievers because they throw mid-90's and "touch 97", they aren't going to do that as starters. Look at the difference between Perkins as a starter versus a reliever.

I don't get drafting a bunch of relievers, it hasn't worked in the past, why would it work now? The guy from rice isn't even the closer on his team and is probably the 3rd or 4th best pitcher on his team. Wasted picks, wasted opportunities. This is becoming so common it's not even funny. However I do like the Brett-Walker pick, he has a lot of power. Passing on Brown, Lovegrove, and Buttrey could come back to bite us although they may all 3 go to college. I want high upside guys at this point in the draft, not a bunch of Billy Bullocks who will probably fizzle out in AA. Seriously have ANY of these early round relievers worked out for us?

Blog Entries
    Some college relievers are in that role to help the team as much as possible, but could be starters (Purdue has two solid ones who do that in Wittgren and Mascarello) both in college and moving forward, especially if they have two good pitches. I don't like doing this with a BUNCH of pitchers though! And still . . . passing up catchers and third basemen like it's going outta style . . .

Senior Member All-Star
    I'm feeling less worried about all the reliever talk. Listening to the guys on MLB discuss every pick, it is pretty clear, they think EVERONE is a bullpen arm. It seems no starters get drafted after the 2nd round if you listen to them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Another Rice closer, we got them both.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast