Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: MLB Draft Discussion: Day 2

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    White Sox take SP Tony Bucciferro out of Mich. State. I could see him actually making the majors as a starter. Must be nice . . .

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They already grabbed a C, and I guess that they haven't seen anyone that was on their boards as a 3b that they want to draft yet. That's too bad about Oakes, although middle of the 10th round was about where the scouts were putting where he would be drafted. Twins seem to be staying away from drafting people from Minnesota this year.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    in the 15th and last round of the day, the Twins take Jarret Leverett, a LHP out of Georgia Southern, GA.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    The college guys they are taking at this point are basically organizational players, not really prospects. They can take a thousand, it doesn't really matter... they are just there to fill out rotations.
    Doesn't that apply to just about anybody taken after the 10th round? These will be either high school kids who may sign or may go on to college, or college players designed to fill out rosters, and who knows, you just might get lucky with one of them (like Blackburn 29th round 2001 or Punto 33rd round 1997).

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jarret Leverett, LHP out of Georgia Southern

13 pitchers and 5 position players through the 18 picks so far. That's it for the day.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    So $3 million tops if EVERYONE signed. If the Twins have the money now, they could pay $100,000 to everyone they actually want to sign. I am not sure how many teams are going to pay the full amount to many of these guys.
    My guess is most of them get virtually nothing - just the chance to play pro ball and maybe make it to the bigs.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Observations from today:
    The Twins start and end the day selecting a LHP out of Georgia, taking a total of 11 pitchers, a RF, a C, a 2B, and a CF.
    The Twins haven't taken a pick out of either the Northwest or the Midwest.
    Also, with their first 18 selections, the Twins took 13 pitchers, including 9 RHP.
    The Twins took a crapload of pitching today

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 814 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Doesn't that apply to just about anybody taken after the 10th round? These will be either high school kids who may sign or may go on to college, or college players designed to fill out rosters, and who knows, you just might get lucky with one of them (like Blackburn 29th round 2001 or Punto 33rd round 1997).
    Agreed, with the exception of 11th Rd pick Taylor Rogers, who looks intriguing. His numbers progressed nicely each season, and a lefty, to boot. Given his proven record of continued development and improvement, he may opt to go back for his senior year and be difficult to sign. I hope the Twins have a persuasive pitch to convince him to come out for the low money available in the 11th round.

I would think the best bet for legit future prospects from this point on is HSers in Puerto Rico, who would be less resistant to the low dollars available and may not have as many college options available.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Agreed, with the exception of 11th Rd pick Taylor Rogers, who looks intriguing. His numbers progressed nicely each season, and a lefty, to boot. Given his proven record of continued development and improvement, he may opt to go back for his senior year and be difficult to sign. I hope the Twins have a persuasive pitch to convince him to come out for the low money available in the 11th round.
    That is the problem, and if the Twins go too far over trying to sign this guy, I believe that it eats into the amount we have to spend on the Top 10 Round Picks. So it might be smarter for the Twins, if they see signability issues with the kid, to let him go back to college for his senior year and then take him with a higher pick next year, where they can spend more than $100,000 on him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    The Twins will spend well below their cap. That is a complete non-issue at this point.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910