Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Select Byron Buxton #2 Overall In MLB Draft

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 154 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Select Byron Buxton in MLB Draft

Buxton looked absolutely depressed about the news. He couldn't move from his chair.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good pick. Here is my mini-profile on him with 3 videos.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

good pick!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    I was fine with Gausman, Correa, Buxton, Zimmer, Appel...so I guess I'm fine. Didn't see the reaction, but it sounds like he wasn't thrilled. Not a good start to endearing himself to the fans.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I was fine with Gausman, Correa, Buxton, Zimmer, Appel...so I guess I'm fine. Didn't see the reaction, but it sounds like he wasn't thrilled. Not a good start to endearing himself to the fans.
    You would think that he would had to have known it was either the Twins or the Astros.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 154 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he was fine. They talked to him before the draft and he looked like he was a little overwhelmed by the attention, trying to stay cool. It appeared the same after he was selected. It seemed like he was having a hard time hearing the announcers, too.

How different did Hunter or^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Span look the day they were drafted? Top picks go to bad teams, and #2 is going to be worse than most. (EDIT: Hunter wasn't a top pick.)
    Last edited by Cris E; 06-04-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am glad he didn't Cam Newton it and act like a Rock Star.
    Get him in E-town ASAP to keep him humble

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I said that I thought Gausman was the top pitcher in the draft, and therefore the Twins should pick him. With that said I like Buxton and will support him as a Twins fan from now until he busts or is traded. Best of luck to him. Hope hes everything the Twins think he is and more.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    Thanks John, good to know.
    Lighten up Francis....

I can't blame the Twins from taking the guy they thought was the best player on the board.

He's just a humble kid. Going to be a great TWIN

Quote Originally Posted by Cris E View Post
    How different did Hunter or^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Span look the day they were drafted? Top picks go to bad teams, and #2 is going to be worse than most. (EDIT: Hunter wasn't a top pick.)

Read this article a see his quote after he was drafted. He is a young guy who is clearly not used to that much attention. I have think we made a killing on this pick!

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,147 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I like Buxton and will support him as a Twins fan from now until he busts or is traded.
    These are the options, are they? Real optimism.

Twins already announced on radio that Buxton will go to GCL not ELIZ....that's next yr.....grrrr

No worries on where he starts

Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Twins already announced on radio that Buxton will go to GCL not ELIZ....that's next yr.....grrrr
    That's fine. If he crushes the GCL, they'll move him up. If he doesn't, he needs to stay there...as well as improve during the instructional league in the fall. Simple as that. I think he starts at Beloit next year. I don't see him staying in extended spring training after playing this summer.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would be great if he signs quickly enough to play GCL opening day on the 18th!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
    So, if we sign him (and I assume we do), it is GCL. Then extended Spring Training and Elizabethton. Then Beloit, and maybe a promotion to Ft Myers. Then Ft Myers. Then New Britain.

At a minimum this guy will help us in four fn years. WHO IS GOING TO PITCH FOR THIS TEAM IN THOSE FOUR YEARS? Nick Blackburn, Cole DeVries, Scott Diamond, PJ Walter, and Liam Hendricks, with absolutely zero quality bullpen pitchers? Compounding the problem is then selecting another HS player with the first comp selection.

THeir one college arm is coming off an injury, Luke Bard, projects as a setup man in the majors. We do need quality relief pitchers, but not getting an established college starting pitcher is just ridiculous.

Sorry, this is extremely poor management and the team is being run "The Twins Way" even though that model is past its expiration date.

I disagree vehemently with that last assessment. You take the best player available generally, and especially in this case, with a guy that has that steep an upside. We do need pitching, but no one pitcher, be it Appel, Gausman, etc. is A) going to help right away B) be a lock to help your team or C) help a team that was one loss away from a 100 loss season so drastically that he completely alters your look in the division....hell, even Strasburg couldn't do that, and he was the pitching pick of my generation. That's just terribly shortsighted....especially in a draft that was light on talent to begin with. From everything I've read, Appel/Gausman probably wouldn't have gone top 5 last year....and projected as #2 starters. We got a projected #2 starter with the 32nd pick with a little more risk involved. This team wasn't going to be solved with one college pitching prospect (that also are never locks) so why be angry when they took the guy that had perhaps the highest upside in the draft? 38 SB in 39 tries, throws 97 off the mound, batted .500, and will hopefully develop power. How is that not just as good as a player that plays 1 of 5 games and can't propel a team single-handedly to the division title either? We got pitching today, and we'll get more tomorrow, and we'll almost assuredly get just as good, if not better pitching next year when we'll still be up near the top, and with a better draft class (according to Kevin Goldstein). "The Twins Way" has come up against some rather hard knocks lately due to bad luck....you wanted them to draft pitching, well they did with Gibson and Wimmers (both looked to be solid locks for #2's or at worst #3 just like Appel and Gausman), and both of them went down (unfortunately). That's not "the Twins Way"'s fault. That's bad luck. This was a not so great draft class with a guy like Appel that looked to be not so signable (especially now), knowing full well that no one pitcher is going to save this team (not now, not in the next year or two) and they took a guy that has ridiculously high upside. That's not poor management, that's discerning and very intelligent management.

mlhouse, this isn't the NFL. There's a lot you can criticize this organization for right now, but you're really up the wrong tree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast