Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Mark Appel?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Mark Appel?

So it should seem that the Twins should now take Mark Appel.

Seattle passes on him too, I think the Boras thing is holding him back some now.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    I guess it is not a good thing for a player to have Scott Boras as an agent. I doubt he makes it past the Cubs at #6.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    So it should seem that the Twins should now take Mark Appel.
    If he's still there at 32, I concur.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I orignally wanted him when Houston pasted on him. Today I'm glad we stuck with Buxton. Boras has screwed over Appel. I don't even see him signing with the Pirates. Appel didn't sound happy that they took him, why would he want to come here?
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts
    It would appear that the Twins and Astros weren't the only teams not sold on Appel. And I think the Boras angle is overblown.

I've heard conflicting reports on Appel's velocity, from mid-90s to high-90s. And there was that story in the Strib last week about Appel being "too nice" to pitch inside.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have seen Appel pitch in person 6 times this year (live close to Stanford). There is no issue with his velocity...he routinely throws 94-95 and can hit 97 whenever he wants (but he does dial it down to 91 when he needs to throw a strike). The concerns (based on conversations with scouts at these games) are lack of movement of his fastball and the lack of a top-notch secondary pitch (his breaking pitch is hard to describe...sort of a hybrid curve/slider). That said, the last game he pitched for Stanford in the NCAA regional last weekend was pretty incredible as he was pretty much unhittable for the first 6 innings and cruised to a complete game 4-hitter with 11 K's.

The only pitcher I saw play at Sunken Diamond (Stanford's baseball stadium) this season who threw harder than Appel was Chargois of Rice. He hit 99 with many of his fastballs and was fun to watch.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckmen View Post
    I have seen Appel pitch in person 6 times this year (live close to Stanford). There is no issue with his velocity...he routinely throws 94-95 and can hit 97 whenever he wants (but he does dial it down to 91 when he needs to throw a strike). The concerns (based on conversations with scouts at these games) are lack of movement of his fastball and the lack of a top-notch secondary pitch (his breaking pitch is hard to describe...sort of a hybrid curve/slider). That said, the last game he pitched for Stanford in the NCAA regional last weekend was pretty incredible as he was pretty much unhittable for the first 6 innings and cruised to a complete game 4-hitter with 11 K's.

The only pitcher I saw play at Sunken Diamond (Stanford's baseball stadium) this season who threw harder than Appel was Chargois of Rice. He hit 99 with many of his fastballs and was fun to watch.
    Good insight here, thanks for sharing.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting to note the Chargois sighting! That's something to look forward to out of this "situation" so far.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Blog Entries
    If Chargois can hit 99 and actually locate that pitch? Watch out Capps we got someone hunting for your job!
    I bent my wookie...

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How do you think you pronounce Chargois?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From what i read on MLBTradeRumors, Appel slid because he declined the $6 million contract that the Astros offered him. Also, the 3rd round pick for the Dodgers, Onelkis Garcia, clearly doesn't know much about the new draft rules if he is asking for a $7 MILLION SIGNING BONUS as the 133RD PICK! What the hell is up with that?

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    From what i read on MLBTradeRumors, Appel slid because he declined the $6 million contract that the Astros offered him. Also, the 3rd round pick for the Dodgers, Onelkis Garcia, clearly doesn't know much about the new draft rules if he is asking for a $7 MILLION SIGNING BONUS as the 133RD PICK! What the hell is up with that?
    I'm so glad the Astros said no to Appel. Scott Boras has been destorying salaries for years and teams and standing up to him. He is only hurting his client at this point. I'd be shocked if the Pirates sign Appel at this point. Boras has warped that boy.
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is anybody really shocked that Appel turned down an underslot offer? That being said, I don't see how the Pirates sign him - even if he did a 180 and took $6M, that would just about wipe out Pittsburgh's bonus pool.