Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben Revere

Ben Revere

Another night where Willingham is the DH and Revere is playing RF. Can someone explain this to me at all?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My take: Gardy likes to assign roles to his players. Willingham is the regular LF, Span is the regular in CF. At this point Revere is the third starter, so he gets RF. Plouffe is the utility guy and gets either RF or LF depending on who is sitting.

At least, this week.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 486 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It probably won't matter, but this choice seems pretty foolish.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This drives me crazy. Nuts.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Revere's arm is so epically weak that maybe it actually makes sense; could runners routinely be going first-to-third on a single to left when Ben is there? If so, right is not really any worse, and gives Gardy the stability he likes.

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Revere's arm is a problem no matter where you play him. It's only marginally worse in RF. For every runner that goes first to third on Revere in right (that wouldn't have gone first to third anyway), there is some percentage that don't go 2nd to home now, 3rd to home now, or first to third on balls hit to left now, that would do just that were Revere in LF. The number of bases saved by playing him in left isn't likely very large. Some, no doubt, but it's not like Revere's arm won't be taken advantage of if he was in left. Or center, for that matter. Revere's range plays in right just as well as in left. Obsessing over which OF position Revere plays seems to me to be obsessing over trivia.

Wherever he plays, he is truly a joy to watch. Put your stats down and watch him tumble: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...y_21975557&v=3

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    I'd guess Revere's range in right makes up for his his arm.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    During spring training, Gardy mentioned not liking the way Revere played LF (and Revere made comments to the effect that he agreed). I don't recall if there were more details than that given (or what they were). Someone give my needle a bump...thanks.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    During spring training, Gardy mentioned not liking the way Revere played LF (and Revere made comments to the effect that he agreed). I don't recall if there were more details than that given (or what they were). Someone give my needle a bump...thanks.
    Yeah, CDog is getting tired pointing this out. So there's that, but my god, why doesn't anyone in the "access" media find out exactly what went on and is going on there? I know there were statements made by Gardenhire, and I think they involved bad routes or something and someone here attested to the fact that he had some miscues. . . . but it was in SPRING TRAINING and it wasn't late in it either (as though that matters). It makes me have conniption fits if I think about it too much. It's just crazy. YET ANOTHER ridiculous decision based on SPRING TRAINING.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Revere's arm is a problem no matter where you play him. It's only marginally worse in RF. For every runner that goes first to third on Revere in right (that wouldn't have gone first to third anyway), there is some percentage that don't go 2nd to home now, 3rd to home now, or first to third on balls hit to left now, that would do just that were Revere in LF. The number of bases saved by playing him in left isn't likely very large. Some, no doubt, but it's not like Revere's arm won't be taken advantage of if he was in left. Or center, for that matter. Revere's range plays in right just as well as in left. Obsessing over which OF position Revere plays seems to me to be obsessing over trivia.
    Did third base move somewhere else?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Which would you rather have, a slightly stronger arm in RF or someone who can catch? Revere is going to catch a helluva lot more balls than Plouffe, so where is that more valuable? It seems like teams are typically more willing to put their worst defender in LF, and when you have Span, Revere, and Plouffe, Plouffe is far and away the worst one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Yeah, CDog is getting tired pointing this out. So there's that, but my god, why doesn't anyone in the "access" media find out exactly what went on and is going on there? I know there were statements made by Gardenhire, and I think they involved bad routes or something and someone here attested to the fact that he had some miscues. . . . but it was in SPRING TRAINING and it wasn't late in it either (as though that matters). It makes me have conniption fits if I think about it too much. It's just crazy. YET ANOTHER ridiculous decision based on SPRING TRAINING.
    And as long as I'm repeating myself, let me make it clear that I'm only revealing what I have gathered as the reason for it. Not only do I not have the information to know if it's the correct decision, but I likely wouldn't know what to do with the information if I had it. (As in, I saw precious little during spring training and don't have the expertise of a scout or coach at that level.)

His arm is so bad it doesn't matter which field he's in? Wow. I can't really appropriately respond to that logic. Yes I can. Let's say he had no throwing arm attached at all. He'd had to run every ball in. He'd be much more valuable in left than right in that extreme situation. The situation you're looking for is the one where he throws every ball into the stands. I haven't seen him do that yet on a ball in play.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His arm is below par but too much is made of it. He can find the cut off guy. That will keep the trailing runner held. He's just not gonna rifle one ala Bryce Harper. Guess what... Neither is Span or Willingham.

In the same breath... Gardy wrings his hands over RF or LF and permanent positions. The spin is different off the bat. They will figure it out. They've played the game before.

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Did third base move somewhere else?
    I don't understand why this is hard to comprehend. With Revere in right, and Willingham (or Plouffe) in left, more runners will go 1st to 3rd on a single. But...some runners will not go 1st to 3rd on a single to left, respecting Willingham's arm. Fewer, but not zero. Likewise, a runner here and there will not tag up and score on a fly ball to Willingham, but would tag and score were Revere in left. A couple times a year, a runner on 2nd will stop at third on a sharp single to left if Willingham is there, but would go 2nd to home were Revere in left. So yeah, right field is the worst place for Revere's arm, but it's not a zero sum game. Revere's arm in left, with Willingham in right, will still result in some runners advancing on Revere's arm that would not have advanced were Willingham in left. The net loss of Revere playing RF isn't as big as people make it out to be. There are also generally slightly more balls hit to right than left, so Revere's range is worth slightly more in right than left.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I don't understand why this is hard to comprehend. With Revere in right, and Willingham (or Plouffe) in left, more runners will go 1st to 3rd on a single. But...some runners will not go 1st to 3rd on a single to left, respecting Willingham's arm. Fewer, but not zero. Likewise, a runner here and there will not tag up and score on a fly ball to Willingham, but would tag and score were Revere in left. A couple times a year, a runner on 2nd will stop at third on a sharp single to left if Willingham is there, but would go 2nd to home were Revere in left. So yeah, right field is the worst place for Revere's arm, but it's not a zero sum game. Revere's arm in left, with Willingham in right, will still result in some runners advancing on Revere's arm that would not have advanced were Willingham in left. The net loss of Revere playing RF isn't as big as people make it out to be. There are also generally slightly more balls hit to right than left, so Revere's range is worth slightly more in right than left.
    Great explanation, Chief.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Arm

I had a great arm. I played RF on a sandlot team with Amos Otis in CF and Garrt Alexander in LF. If it was just my arm alone - I'd have been a first ballot Hall Of Famer. I don't understand how a guy can make the bigs without a cannon or close to it.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    Wherever he plays, he is truly a joy to watch. Put your stats down and watch him tumble: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...y_21975557&v=3
    It would really have been a joy seeing him get to that double in the fourth inning that Plouffe couldn't get to.

Way too much is made of Ben's arm strength (or lack thereof) and even though I agree it is his greatest weakness I don't think it counts him out as a big league outfielder. The Twins mentality is fundamental baseball, and all Ben needs to do is use his vast range to make up for the weak arm, and be as accurate as he can when hitting the cut off.

People!! There is a reason teams take infield/outfield practice everyday, there is a reason the cutoff man exists... This guy is a premier player, a great asset to our team, and just flat out fun to watch. I think the signing of Buxton last night may show us all that the Twins do think highly of Revere, because the may be setting themselves up for an outfield like this in a few years: Revere (LF) Buxton (CF) Hicks (RF).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast