Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Twins to take Buxton

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Report: Twins to take Buxton

According to Jon Heyman the Twins are preparing to take Georgia HS OF Byron Buxton at 2 after Houston takes SP Mark Appel at 1. Report is unconfirmed but should not be a surprise. Thoughts?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    It seems inevitable. I still don't know why there haven't been any comparasons to Donavan Tate, they seem so comparable, same size, position and stats; both are "5 tool" guys from rural Georgia devoid of real compition. Tate has been such a bust, it worries me. It just seems like there was a vacuum caused by a lack of big name bats this year and Buxton is the name who got pushed to fill the void.

Repost from another thread:
    The best player in the draft is Carlos Correa. John Sickels, a Twins fan, is almost beside himself with the possibility the Twins will pass on him. (Note: you'll find a mock draft where John takes Appel, but the draft where he got to choose who he wanted, he took Correa).

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The best part about this is this is a debate that we can relive over and over for the next 3 years, as we watch how the #2 pick (whoever it is) develops and as we watch how the other options fare on their journey to the bigs.

Any chance of Buxton being called up to play this year? He could play off the bench as our 4th OF!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshii View Post
    Any chance of Buxton being called up to play this year? He could play off the bench as our 4th OF!
    Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    It seems inevitable. I still don't know why there haven't been any comparasons to Donavan Tate, they seem so comparable, same size, position and stats; both are "5 tool" guys from rural Georgia devoid of real compition. Tate has been such a bust, it worries me. It just seems like there was a vacuum caused by a lack of big name bats this year and Buxton is the name who got pushed to fill the void.
    Might be a fair comparison if not for Tate's drug issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshii View Post
    Trolling...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Plus we will get to watch gausman strike out twins hitters while Buxton is in a ball after Kansas city drafts him.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Right now my order of who I want the Twins to draft is 1. Correa 2. Giolito (won't happen) 3. Gausman 4. Buxton

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 81 Times in 61 Posts
    I've never wanted a Twins choice to suceed more than this pick. Why? Because I'm so tired of hearing how the Adam Johnson pick proves the Twins are bad talent evaluators by fans who conveniently ignore that NONE of picks#2-10 that year panned out.

I have to admit Buxton makes me nervous, given the "hit tool" is the one in question, especially the power potential. But something else tells me they will, and SHOULD take him or Correa at #2. I'm even MORE nervous about these college pitchers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    Might be a fair comparison if not for Tate's drug issues.
    That's true, but I don't think it would be fair to say the issues are the reason for his problems on the field.

Like Buxton, everyone said he had the frame to develop power, but Tate has yet to hit a HR outside of rookie league. Denard Span is 6'0" 210 lbs, Joe Mauer is 6'5" 230 lb, both were drafted out of high school and have the size for power but did not develop any mostly due to their swings and approach at the plate. We can't possibly think a guy who doesn't have high school power is going to suddenly develop it when the Twins hound him to constantly go the other way.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I've never wanted a Twins choice to suceed more than this pick. Why? Because I'm so tired of hearing how the Adam Johnson pick proves the Twins are bad talent evaluators by fans who conveniently ignore that NONE of picks#2-10 that year panned out.

I have to admit Buxton makes me nervous, given the "hit tool" is the one in question, especially the power potential. But something else tells me they will, and SHOULD take him or Correa at #2. I'm even MORE nervous about these college pitchers.
    Just because none of the later picks in the first ten panned out, does not mean that one of them wouldn't have in the Twins organization.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My order for the Twins to draft would be 1)Gausman 2) Buxton 3) Some guy that none of us have heard of

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    That's true, but I don't think it would be fair to say the issues are the reason for his problems on the field.

Like Buxton, everyone said he had the frame to develop power, but Tate has yet to hit a HR outside of rookie league. Denard Span is 6'0" 210 lbs, Joe Mauer is 6'5" 230 lb, both were drafted out of high school and have the size for power but did not develop any mostly due to their swings and approach at the plate. We can't possibly think a guy who doesn't have high school power is going to suddenly develop it when the Twins hound him to constantly go the other way.
    This is a great take. You have to look at "frame" to some degree, obviously, because if a guy is 5'9" 160lb, I'm sorry, but he's never going to be a 15-HR guy. Ben Revere, for example, is a guy that had a ceiling from the moment he was drafted.

But that doesn't mean that 6'3" 220lb behemoth will necessarily become a power hitter either. Mauer murdered that ball this weekend for his 3rd HR, but that just isn't his approach. He either can't or won't be that guy, so he is what he is.

I hear all this talk about the "toolsy" outfielders and I instantly think of the Upton brothers and a lot of the guys the Rays have drafted. But there's an interesting thing going on with (6'4", 190 lb) Dexter Fowler right now. He's 26 and it was basically presumed he was a decent leadoff-type hitter, and suddenly he has his career high in HR's (8) after only 168 plate appearances. Bat speed and technique can generate power just the same that sheer brute muscle can. Alfonso Soriano is one of those guys who never looked that strong but can absolutely kill a baseball with whatever weight he does have on his frame.

I'd rather pick Buxton here and be wrong about it, than take a pitcher (even one who could be decent in the majors) and have to watch 4 years ago if Buxton blows up somewhere.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    if a guy is 5'9" 160lb, I'm sorry, but he's never going to be a 15-HR guy. .
    Two words: Kirby Puckett. He was actually under 160 lbs when he broke in. "Never" is way too fatalistic a word
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I'm ok with the pick, I'd just prefer a pitcher, given what we know about all the players and the Twins' minor league system (and its utter lack of pitching depth). I think I might prefer Correa also.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I prefer Correa and Gausman over Buxton so I kind of hope this one of those "leaked" rumors that never end up true. Two positions, SS and Pitchers, that I value over OF and I think position factors into best player available. Lets just hope that if it is Buxton, he isn't a bust

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Correa and Buxton are no sure shots even if they have the highest "upside". But the Twins organization simply cannot wait 6 years for them to develop. THey need pitching help now, and that means a college arm.

Senior Member All-Star
    Dustin Pedroia is 5'8" 165lb's and has more HR than 6'+ 200lb+ Mauer and Span combined. I just don't see Buxton suddnely finding his power in this organization, there is just such little track record for it. In the last 30 years you can count the consistant and legit power hitters the Twins drafted and developed on 1 finger. Chris Parmelee was even transitioned away from being a slugger, it might have been the right move, but I don't think the Twins have a very good template as to how to develop power while keeping the other 4 "tools." Maybe Buxton is the exception, and I know I'm in the minority, but I think the odds that he develops MVP credentials are no better than any of the hard throwing pitchers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast