Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Draft Discussion: Day One

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

MLB Draft Discussion: Day One

The first round of the draft gets underway on Monday night at 6PM CT. The Twins will pick second overall, and then again at No. 32 and No. 42 in the supplemental round. Discuss the picks made by the Twins (and other teams) throughout the evening on this thread.

Does anyone know if it will be available to be watched online? I don't have cable and i'd rather not go to a bar to watch the draft.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe you can watch it on MLB.com.

I have definitely watched on mlb.com the past couple years--at least live segments anyway, if not the whole coverage from TV.

I had a dream last night that the Twins went with Correa at #2 and Mitch Brown at #32.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I am beginning to accept they will take either Buxton or Correa at #2. I see them taking the best college arm at #32 and then Mitch Brown at #42, assuming he is still available.

I'm assuming I'm probably the only person here who is hoping for Zunnino. I know Buxton and Correa have higher ceilings, but I'd prefer the most developed position player.
    AKA: TMW

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glanzer View Post
    I have definitely watched on mlb.com the past couple years--at least live segments anyway, if not the whole coverage from TV.

I had a dream last night that the Twins went with Correa at #2 and Mitch Brown at #32.
    You have weird dreams. :-)

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 156 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I am beginning to accept they will take either Buxton or Correa at #2. I see them taking the best college arm at #32 and then Mitch Brown at #42, assuming he is still available.
    I agree completely. I actually wonder if Mitch Brown will be taken even that high, or if they wait until 62. Do we really think he's one of the top 30 or so pitchers in this draft?

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm very interested to see how this draft shakes out. I don't think there's a single guy who deserves the full slot $ amount at #2, so I'm hoping whoever the Twins pick signs for their market (Maybe Buxton at $5MIL) not the slot, and somebody falls to 32 who we can throw the extra money at to sign. My big board: Appel, Zimmer, Correa, Gausman, Buxton. Not a big fan of Buxton because he doesn't help the Twins rebuild for 2014 or 2015 (need pitching for that), but whoever the Twins select at #2 will be their #2 prospect the second they sign.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    All the rankings I've seen with Brown have him very firmly in the Top 30 pitchers. Borderline Top 10 High School arm.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

I'm still hoping for Buxton/Correa, Stroman, Brown in the first, lofty hopes I know. Giolito falling to 32 woul be cool too!

Brown is in the top 30 pitchers group yes so he should be there at #42 unless only pitchers get drafted.....and probably will be there later at 63 or 72. That is still very high in the draft. The Twins need to take the best players, not just the best local players.

As far as need goes, don't the Twins now have a pack of good high draft choice SS in the system? Dozier, Santana, Levi, and Goodrum all come to mind. Where would Correa fit?

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    Many recent Mock Drafts don't even have Giolito being selected in the 1st Round... Twins would need their pick at #2 to sign for a few mil less than the slot recommendation (which I think is very possible) to have a chance at him at #32, but it would be very interesting if it played out that way.

And I do not think a finished product catcher is necessary. There are a couple of those in the pipeline. What the Twins need is PITCHING

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    I'm still hoping for Buxton/Correa, Stroman, Brown in the first, lofty hopes I know. Giolito falling to 32 woul be cool too!
    If Giolito falls to 32, he'll go to UCLA for a couple of years.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wagwan View Post
    As far as need goes, don't the Twins now have a pack of good high draft choice SS in the system? Dozier, Santana, Levi, and Goodrum all come to mind. Where would Correa fit?
    Third base
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Can the Twins afford to have another top pitching prospect on rehab? Gibson, Wimmer and Giolito would be the 3 best guys and all have injury issues. But I guess with Giolito, he would not be looking to hit the majors for 4 years or so anyway....If he is that good the injury would not matter so much. The college guys are expected to contribute sooner

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I agree completely. I actually wonder if Mitch Brown will be taken even that high, or if they wait until 62. Do we really think he's one of the top 30 or so pitchers in this draft?
    Sickels has him rated #30 overall, BA has him at #44 overall. He won't slip to 62. He might slip to 42 but I think the Twins take him 32.

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Third base
    Who's on first?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast