Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Draft Discussion: Day One

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 529 Times in 350 Posts
    Go sign Soler. There's your high upside OFer. Then draft pitching. Or, heck, take Correa at that point....I'd love it if they rolled the dice on Soler (the Cuban free agent), who BA just said (or KLAW, can't recall which), would go in picks 4-9 this year if he was draftable....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Go sign Soler. There's your high upside OFer. Then draft pitching. Or, heck, take Correa at that point....I'd love it if they rolled the dice on Soler (the Cuban free agent), who BA just said (or KLAW, can't recall which), would go in picks 4-9 this year if he was draftable....
    I like the idea of signing Soler, regardless of how we draft.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 156 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So what if Astros take Buxton instead? I gotta think that's a possibility since Boras represents Appel and is unlikely to even consider a discount. If they take Buxton, do you think Appel is a no-brainer? It would sure be nice to add a nice arm that could be ready in a year or so.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    So what if Astros take Buxton instead? I gotta think that's a possibility since Boras represents Appel and is unlikely to even consider a discount. If they take Buxton, do you think Appel is a no-brainer? It would sure be nice to add a nice arm that could be ready in a year or so.
    Yes Appel is a no-brainer. This place would explode if we get the chance to draft Appel and don't.
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Boras burned the Twins twice - once with Belcher and again with Lee. My understanding is that they haven't drafted a Boras guy since Lee, in 1996. I don't think they'd draft Appel, although they said they would. If Buxton's gone, I think they choose between Correa and Zimmer.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Will he take slot? Or will he want the extra mil that comes with going #1 overall? If he won't take slot, I would look seriously at Zunino or Gausman.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Boras angle is overblown. With the new slot caps, there's not really much incentive for a player to hold out and go unsigned, especially if he's the No. 1 or 2 pick.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    The problem is that the caps are quite high compared to the available talent this year. The Twins may take Buxton and offer $5 million, basically thinking he couldn't possibly walk away.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I think the Boras angle is overblown. With the new slot caps, there's not really much incentive for a player to hold out and go unsigned, especially if he's the No. 1 or 2 pick.
    It'll be really interesting to see how this dynamic plays out. There's no reason to think any of the top 8-10 guys would be drafted as high again in the future, so they don't really have any leverage, and their agents should know it.

From what I've read, the Mariners love Zunino and the Orioles prefer Gausman, which means if Appel doesn't go #1 or #2, he could fall to #5. That's about half the slot money of #1. If he's available at #2, I'd tell Boras he's got 5 minutes to accept $5.5M from us or else we're taking Correa. Then take the $700K saved plus the $600K we can safely go over and be aggressive with the BPA who's dropped into the supplemental round.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 431 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wagwan View Post
    Who's on first?
    Whomever of Sano/Harrison is not at the OF
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,181 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Richter View Post
    I'd tell Boras he's got 5 minutes
    There's a little bit of Walter Mitty in all of us.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    MLB Network coverage has started. They're interviewing a bunch of the prospects now. AFter reading more about Buxton, I'm really hoping the reports are correct and he falls to the Twins.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    5:16 PM - They're about to have a feature on Buxton on the MLB network. That's ch 733 in Mpls Comcast.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    MLB Network coverage has started. They're interviewing a bunch of the prospects now. AFter reading more about Buxton, I'm really hoping the reports are correct and he falls to the Twins.
    Another project. They're working so well in this org.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Is Byron Buxton faster than Ben Revere? Buxton is said to have 80 speed.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I like the idea of signing Soler, regardless of how we draft.
    yes Please do so. Can't draft well,might as well do better in signing a guy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    yes Please do so. Can't draft well,might as well do better in signing a guy.
    Do you guys really see us getting Soler? I don't see it happening.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    FWIW, the MLB Network is absolutely ga-ga over Buxton. They're making it sound like the Astros are making a huge mistake if they don't take him.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    People believe Buxton is the best talent. I just worry about a guy trying to learn power IN the Twins Org.

Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    People believe Buxton is the best talent. I just worry about a guy trying to learn power IN the Twins Org.
    We could say the same thing about any pitcher they may draft high...they will make him pitch to contact

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast