Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Diamond - for real?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

Scott Diamond - for real?

OK, it's been six starts now. None of them have been bad, and some have been quite good (I put today in that category). He is easily the top starter on the staff right now. You would think opposition scouts have had enough time now to put together info on him for their clubs. Time to ask the question: Is he for real? Have we found a gem in the rough? Or is this still beginner's luck? Is an implosion coming?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to think for real. He is a lefty and we are told it takes them a bit longer to show there true capabilities.

Liked 294 Times in 165 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    OK, it's been six starts now. None of them have been bad, and some have been quite good (I put today in that category). He is easily the top starter on the staff right now. You would think opposition scouts have had enough time now to put together info on him for their clubs. Time to ask the question: Is he for real? Have we found a gem in the rough? Or is this still beginner's luck? Is an implosion coming?
    I watched the entire game today and he seemed to be very solid, despite 3 or 4 errors by the defense. The Indians' announcers talked about his ability to change speeds, which may be the key to him having a good career. He also showed good composure when there were runners on base.

Will Diamond ever be a MLB ace? Probably not. He had only two strikeouts today. But maybe the Twins have found a southpaw Brad Radke who can deliver solid performances for a few years. And if he can keep his era below 2.00, then he deserves consideration for this year's All Star game.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Diamond could be a decent #4-5 guy in a contending team. Not missing too many bats, not walking too many, getting a few double plays. That's it. And this is better than what the Twins have been having in those spots the last few years. (Blackburn/Perkins/Marquis et al.)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    He is getting a ton of groundballs- far in excess of anything he did in the minors. Unless he made some kind of adjustment when he was called up, I wouldn't think it's sustainable. The jury is still out but I think he's a clear step up from Walters, DeVries, Swarzak, etc. (which isn't saying much).

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 135 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    He is getting a ton of groundballs- far in excess of anything he did in the minors. Unless he made some kind of adjustment when he was called up, I wouldn't think it's sustainable. The jury is still out but I think he's a clear step up from Walters, DeVries, Swarzak, etc. (which isn't saying much).
    The conventional wisdom is that a lefty with average stuff can be quite successful and I think Diamond's performance bears out the conventional wisdom. The ERA isn't going to last where it is, but six straight effective starts is pretty good. I can see Diamond staying in the Twins rotation for quite awhile.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he could be a good 2nd, or 3rd starter. A number 2 can be a control pitcher as long as you have at least two power arms in the rotation. What makes Diamond effective, outside of changing speeds, is that he comes overhand and has a downward break on the ball. These type of pitchers are usually more effective. Whereas, 3/4 guys usually throw a flatter ball--much easier to follow the ball.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I watched the entire game today and he seemed to be very solid, despite 3 or 4 errors by the defense. The Indians' announcers talked about his ability to change speeds, which may be the key to him having a good career. He also showed good composure when there were runners on base.

Will Diamond ever be a MLB ace? Probably not. He had only two strikeouts today. But maybe the Twins have found a southpaw Brad Radke who can deliver solid performances for a few years. And if he can keep his era below 2.00, then he deserves consideration for this year's All Star game.
    I actually made the same comparison of Radke to Diamond earlier today

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At the Very least he ALREADY >>> than Billy Bullock

I was one of the VERY Few that APPLAUDED the Diamond for BUllock trade at the time, after the Rule 5 thing went to hell. I liked Diamond, knew he was older, but LHP that Twins scouts were very keen on "he could pitch for us real soon" .... I knew he was > than WALK or BB machine Billy Bullock (enter James Hoey ish)

I'm one of the smartest twins fans on the web. thank you thank you.

:P
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. A.B. Walker (OF-A) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11. Max Kepler (OF-A) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, P Ryan Eades.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Baseball is about ringing the bell when the bell is in reach. This is the Diamond moment. He has passed test #1.

The next test is the regression. Can he battle back from it. I love what I'm seeing thus far. No walks today. This is a pitcher that is limiting his mistakes. A team will have earn it against him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Come talk to me when he starts going through the league a second time.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I could get flagged for a preposterous statement here, but Diamond's mechanics and "stuff" remind me of Glavine. Glavine was good and for a long time though.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Come talk to me when he starts going through the league a second time.
    Probably true... I expect a rough patch at some point. Thats when we will find out what we have.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    Diamond reminds me of Duensing. I'm a fan of Duensing, but I'm expecting Diamond to come to earth as a starter much like Duensing did.

I think it is too soon, both Duensing and Blackburn (among others) have had streaks where they had a lot of success. In looking back through his minor league record, he has never been dominant and has generally given up a lot of hits. He has lowered his walk rate and if keeps that up it gives him a better chance to stick. His pitches seem to have good movement so it would not shock me if he becomes a solid starter but I think it will be awhile before we know.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Diamond reminds me of Duensing. I'm a fan of Duensing, but I'm expecting Diamond to come to earth as a starter much like Duensing did.
    They aren't alike. Duensing is basically a LOOGY who was able to get lucky enough to keep his overall ERA down, once teams figured him out they started stacking RH lineups against him and he struggled. Diamond on the other hand hasn't had issues getting out RH hitters, in fact his numbers against LH are much worse which is suprising for a leftie, but that could just be a case of small sample size.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I expect him to be a typical Twins starter once we get to the end of the year. I would expect about a 4.00 era long-term. This year though I wouldn't be shocked to see him finish with lower ERA in the 3's.

I hope he doesn't end up like another Nick Blackburn.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 135 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Diamond has been able to get RH hitters out, which is something that Duensing has struggled with. He needs to be pretty fine, because he is not overpowering, but he does have three pretty good pitches and good command and composure. I like all the GB outs he is getting and really like that he has given hardly any free passes. Sure, he is due for some regression, but if he keeps on doing what he's been doing, he'll be fine.

Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In my mind Diamond profiles as a #3/4 on a contending team. Won't overpower anyone, isn't a no-hit candidate every time he hits the mound, but will do the following things;

1--limit pitch count, allowing him to pitch deeper into games, which saves your bullpen.

2--utilize movement and different speeds to offset his lack of stuff. 6.5 to 7 times out of 10, the average major leaguer will not get on base. If you limit walks, that rises to 7 to 7.5 times out of 10. As long as Diamond is not serving up cookies, the odds are in his favor to perform well, especially considering that for the first time since 2010 the Twins have reliable middle infield defense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast