Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Thirdbase

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 165 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thirdbase

I hope the Twins continue to invest time in Trevor Plouffe at 3B. He is not likely a solution, but if he does take a step with the bat and glove they will have filled a position that is very thin in talent. The other guy I wonder about is Deibinson Romero. He is quietly leading in New Britain in OPS at .784. It seems like ages ago that he considered a prospect so I was surprised he wasn't older than 25. His season is so quiet I am not sure anyone has adopted him as a prospect. I wonder about his defense. Any thoughts about his defense from those who have seen him or followed him over time?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Romero should be promoted to Rochester when the Twins figure out the Valencia/Burroughs situation.

Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    I too hope Plouffe continues to get the majority of the time at 3b. IMO he's got the potential to end up better than Valencia both offensively and defensively. And there is almost no reason to invest major playing time in Carroll.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I too hope Plouffe continues to get the majority of the time at 3b. IMO he's got the potential to end up better than Valencia both offensively and defensively. And there is almost no reason to invest major playing time in Carroll.
    I like Plouffe's defense (although he did have a gaff today), but he still has to show he belongs with his bat. Yes, he can hit for power and he can drive the ball, but he doesn't do it consistently. If a pitcher makes a mistake, he can tee it up; but if a pitcher hits his spots and forces Plouffe to adjust, he hasn't figured that out yet. You can't have a 3B who hits below .200. This is still the weakest position in our lineup, and none of our players on the farm inspire me (I'm assuming Sano moves to a different position). I guess my sentimental side hopes Burroughs puts his game together in Rochester (he's doing OK down there right now) and play a role in the future, but I would say that the solution the problem is not currently in the system.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1st and foremost Plouffe has looked okay at 3B. 2nd - It seems like Plouffe has started to get his engines running and is swinging a good stick. Up until a few weeks ago Plouffe was rarely playing. Now he has a couple weeks of playing fairly consistently and things seem to be turning around for him. Let's judge him from this point on and forget the past. As a Plouffetivist, I strongly believe he can help this team now, and in the future.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 165 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thirdbase is very thin across baseball in 2012. Of those with enough plate appearances to qualify, there are only 11 thirdbasemen with an OPS over .700. As poorly as Plouffe has hit this year, his OPS stands at .692. That would rank him above the median for 2012 thirdbasemen.

Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I like Plouffe's defense (although he did have a gaff today), but he still has to show he belongs with his bat. Yes, he can hit for power and he can drive the ball, but he doesn't do it consistently. If a pitcher makes a mistake, he can tee it up; but if a pitcher hits his spots and forces Plouffe to adjust, he hasn't figured that out yet. You can't have a 3B who hits below .200. This is still the weakest position in our lineup, and none of our players on the farm inspire me (I'm assuming Sano moves to a different position). I guess my sentimental side hopes Burroughs puts his game together in Rochester (he's doing OK down there right now) and play a role in the future, but I would say that the solution the problem is not currently in the system.
    While I certainly agree Plouffe needs to produce more, and with more consistency, he has a higher OPS (by 100 pts) than Casilla, higher OPS than Dozier, And hes roughly matched Ben Revere. Smallish sample sizes all to be sure, but I'm not inclined to agree that Plouffe has been the weakest position in the lineup. I would say 3b isn't in markedly worse shap than second, RF, and depending on how Dozier shakes out, possibly SS as well.

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    1st and foremost Plouffe has looked okay at 3B. 2nd - It seems like Plouffe has started to get his engines running and is swinging a good stick. Up until a few weeks ago Plouffe was rarely playing. Now he has a couple weeks of playing fairly consistently and things seem to be turning around for him. Let's judge him from this point on and forget the past. As a Plouffetivist, I strongly believe he can help this team now, and in the future.
    I share Bark's belief in Plouffetivism. Today he proved once again that he can be an awesome hitter, and his fielding error was on a tough play. Also, he raised his batting average to .198 by going 3 for 4. And with 6 home runs in 106 at bats, he might provide some badly needed power.

Also, Plouffe is only 25 years old -- will be 26 later this month. It seems possible that he could get a lot better if he gets a fair chance.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Glunn. As Plouffetivists, its important we stick together. It is only a matter of time before the Mendoza line is breached... the sky is the limit!

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is Plouffe's year to either acheive or not. This weekend has been a positive, but overall he's been a disappointment. I like his power and throwing hasn't been much of an issue, but he still needs to establish himself. Danny V hasn't done enough in Rochester to win promotion back to Minnesota. I guess I am okay with the four guys playing three+ positions and seeing what shakes out.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Further on Plouffe--I think that so far he has been a "mistakes hitter". Most of the hits and homers have come on fat cookies while he has struggled mightily when facing good breaking stuff and well-placed fastballs and change-ups. If he can manage to keep walking and driving mistakes, he should get enough hits to get the average up over .200, but not too high. If he gets 400 PAs, he might hit 20 bombs, and that is intriguing.

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plouffe can turn it around on a dime. It is possible and I have... Plouffism? Trevor can also easily go back to bad ways and end up getting Plouffed by baseball.

Its all In his hands now. This isn't a Gardy or Vavra thing. This is Plouffe and what he can dig down deep inside himself and find.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Plouffe can turn it around on a dime. It is possible and I have... Plouffism? Trevor can also easily go back to bad ways and end up getting Plouffed by baseball.

Its all In his hands now. This isn't a Gardy or Vavra thing. This is Plouffe and what he can dig down deep inside himself and find.
    Word up River Brian! You are definitely a Plouffetivist. It's all about him getting a fair shot to prove what he can do. Finally he is getting his shot and at a premium position and doing well. Now the ball is in his court... keep it going Trev!

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nah... Not a Plouffetivist but I do have some Plouffism that could lead to it. Its either that or male yeast infection. I have an appointment with my Baker tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    ****! I hope you get that remedied. A male yeast infection can be a long haul.