Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MLB Mock Draft 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was just thinking about how everyone is worried about Appel's "advisor" being Boras. Well what if we draft Appel and then are unable to sign him. What happens?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PMKI View Post
    I was just thinking about how everyone is worried about Appel's "advisor" being Boras. Well what if we draft Appel and then are unable to sign him. What happens?
    All the money for that spot is removed from the draft pool and the team receives a compensatory pick next year, I think #3 overall. In other words, not good, because it could prevent the team from signing other picks in this class.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 533 Times in 353 Posts
    I think it will be Buxton or Correa. And, then they'll take a bunch of #4 arms and won't have any pitching in three years either. I just don't get the obsession with not taking a pitcher. There are about 15 aces on the planet, and maybe 15 "number 1" pitchers after that. What's wrong with taking a pitcher that you are pretty sure is a number 2?
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I think it will be Buxton or Correa. And, then they'll take a bunch of #4 arms and won't have any pitching in three years either. I just don't get the obsession with not taking a pitcher. There are about 15 aces on the planet, and maybe 15 "number 1" pitchers after that. What's wrong with taking a pitcher that you are pretty sure is a number 2?
    They can get that guy or an even better guy in next years draft

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know nothing about these guys but the ML draft is the biggest crapshoot of any Draft by alot but It has to be a starter IMO...Gausman or Zimmer I think.

Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think you're selling Correa's upside short. He's been compared to Tulo. Here's Mayo's write up on him "Defensively, Correa is above average across the board -- range, arm and actions -- leaving no question about his ability to stay at short. He can swing the bat, too, with the potential to be an above-average hitter with outstanding power." Sickels wrote: "Excellent hitter, yet chronologically young for his class. Even if he moves to third base, he's elite. Stellar makeup." Goldstein wrote "A big athletic shortstop with remarkable presence at the plate, quick hands, outstanding bat control and the potential for plus power. He's a plus runner who is graceful in the field and has one of the best infielder arms in the draft. The only concern is with his size, as he’s already 6-foot-3 and approaching 200 pounds, but he has more than enough ability to be a star at third base as well, and one scout believes he'd actually get to the big leagues quicker at that position." Both Sickels and Goldstein rank him #1 in this draft.

Additionally, if you could get Correa for 4.5-5 million, you could use that extra million to sign some hard to sign players later in the draft. That said, I'd be happy with any of the names that have been branded about at #2.
    Ok... It says no question that he can stay at short and before the paragraph is complete. mayo contradicts that with he's 6 3 and near 200 pounds which suggests a move to 3b.

Thats kind of like saying. Without question... I do not believe in reincarnation.... But I did in my past life.

Personally I would like to read about a high round SS that projects to actually be a SS. I'm beginning to think they don't exist.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Personally I would like to read about a high round SS that projects to actually be a SS. I'm beginning to think they don't exist.
    Deven Marrero, Arizona State. Was considered top-5 for this draft a year ago, but he didn't hit this year. He'll be gone by 32.
    Gavin Cecchini, Louisiana HS. Defensive-wizard, no bat. End of first-round or sandwich-round type.
    Addison Russell, Florida HS. Lost a lot of weight, so now scouts believe he can stick at SS. Bonus demands (Scott Boras) has him sliding down boards and will probably go late first.
    Nolan Fontana, Florida. No standout tools, but can field the position and hit a little bit.
    C.J. Hinojosa, Texas HS. Injured his shoulder, considered unsignable.

So they exist. There just aren't a lot of them and none of them are great.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe Correa is rising up the charts and it wouldn't surprise me if Twins took him. On their board I believe Appel is the clear cut number 1 on their board so if Houston takes Buxton or Correa or Gausman the Twins will take Appel mark that down. Me personally the abuse at Stanford scares me so on my board I have Gausman ahead of Appel on my board. I have Buxton slightly ahead of Correa as best available followed by Gausman and Appel. I truly believe one of these 4 will be a Twin tommorrow night. Buxton, Correa, Gausman, and Appel. To be honest I would have no problem with any of them and think each of them can help the Twins win in the future.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thsi is Sunday morning and will do a top 10 today and Tommorrow and i request everyone do the same.

1. Houston Astros- Mark Appel SP Stanford
    2. Minnesota Twins- Carlos Correa SS Puerto Rico
    3. Seattle Mariners- Byron Buxton OF HS Georgia
    4. Baltimore Orioles- Kevin Gausman SP LSU
    5. Kansas City Royals- Mike Zunino C Miami
    6. Chicago Cubs- Albert Almora OF HS Florida
    7. San Diego Padres- Kyle Zimmer SP San Francisco
    8. Pittsburgh Pirates- Devin Marrero SS Arizona State
    9. Miami Marlins- Courtney Hawkins OF HS Texas
    10. Colorado Rockies- David Dahl OF HS Alabama

1. Houston Astros - Mark Appel SP Stanford
    2. Minnesota Twins - Byron Buxton OF HS Georgia
    3. Seattle Mariners - Carlos Correa SS Puerto Rico
    4. Baltimore Orioles - Kevin Gausman SP LSU
    5. Kansas City Royals - Kyle Zimmer SP San Francisco
    6. Chicago Cubs - Albert Almora - OF - HS Florida
    7. San Diego Padres - Max Fried SP HS California
    8. Pittsburgh Pirates - Mike Zunino C Florida
    9. Miami Marlins - Courtney Hawkins OF HS Texas
    10. Colorado Rockies - David Dahl - OF HS Alabama

Senior Member MVP
    I do prefer Gausman to Appel, due to the ridiculous way Stanford coaches treat their pitchers....If it was me, I'd have Gausman, Buxton, and Correa in my top three. Not having seen any of them play kind of makes it tough to really choose. But given that you need 5 starters and 7 bullpen arms, I'd probably go arm. That said, when the Strib writers write a story about not taking Adam Johnson again....I'm thinking it is a hitter.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I just don't get the obsession with not taking a pitcher. There are about 15 aces on the planet, and maybe 15 "number 1" pitchers after that. What's wrong with taking a pitcher that you are pretty sure is a number 2?
    What's wrong with taking a potential all star SS or OF? Those are quite scarce as well.
    Joe Mauer should hit more home runs. JMO.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think I might be just as interested if not more interested in who the Twins take at #32 and #42. I know pretty much everyone believes #32 will be Mitch Brown but I am still excited to see what happens.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As of right now (about 5:30 EDT Sunday), it is almost official that the Astros are selecting Mark Appel. The Twins are on the clock...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Jim Bowden just tweeted "According to source the Houston Astros are expected to select Stanford RHP Mark Appel with the first over all selection in tomorrows draft." so I would expect the choice to be between Buxton and Correa and possibly Gausman. I expect the Twins to take Buxton though.

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles View Post
    What's wrong with taking a potential all star SS or OF? Those are quite scarce as well.
    You don't need 5 of them, right? Nothing is wrong with the decision, but that's not the point most people are making. They are basically saying, don't take a number 2 pitcher, no matter what. I will also state that Buxton is super raw, so he won't even sniff the majors while Mauer is still really good. They are also completely devoid of pitchers that even look to be as good as number 2 pitchers right now, think about that. Their entire minor league system doesn't have a pitcher with the upside of Gausman or Appel. It's kind of hard to fill out a rotation that way.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thing that we need to keep in mind is there are 50 rounds in this draft and the twins have 6 of the top 100 so it is way important to get those picks right than knitpicking between Buxton, Correa and Gausman. I am fine with any of those 3 the more important thing to me is the 5 other picks they have in the top 100 as they need atleast 2 of them to be major leaguers. The Twins are in a similar situation that the Vikings were in the draft that there are many needs so they need to take the best player available. However between 2, 32, 42 I think 2 of those 3 need to be pitchers so if you go Buxton or Correa at 2 then you need to take pitchers at 32 and 42.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    One pitcher can't fill out a rotation. If Gausman was a 100% guaranteed #2 starter who could join the rotation this month, well, that would be difficult to pass up. But he and Zimmer are both fairly raw as college pitchers go. Their ability to maintain velocity with a pro workload is unknown. Over 200 innings, Gausman might be more of a low-90s guy with one good off-speed pitch, making him a #3 or #4 starter at best. The upside is there, but the overall package doesn't overcome the inherent injury risk.

I think they will take Correa and then a bunch of pitchers with subsequent picks.

Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by travistwinstalk View Post
    Thsi is Sunday morning and will do a top 10 today and Tommorrow and i request everyone do the same.

1. Houston Astros- Mark Appel SP Stanford
    2. Minnesota Twins- Carlos Correa SS Puerto Rico
    3. Seattle Mariners- Byron Buxton OF HS Georgia
    4. Baltimore Orioles- Kevin Gausman SP LSU
    5. Kansas City Royals- Mike Zunino C Miami
    6. Chicago Cubs- Albert Almora OF HS Florida
    7. San Diego Padres- Kyle Zimmer SP San Francisco
    8. Pittsburgh Pirates- Devin Marrero SS Arizona State
    9. Miami Marlins- Courtney Hawkins OF HS Texas
    10. Colorado Rockies- David Dahl OF HS Alabama
    I won't pretend to know the players because I don't. I've been reading a little so I will do mine based on What I think the organization will do and what I've read.

1. Astro's take Appel... I'm reading that this is a done deal.

2. Twins take Gausman... In a draft where every player seems to have question marks? I wonder if there is enough of a BPA difference to ignore the biggest need pitching. I've read that Gausman is the most MLB ready arm in the draft.

3. Mariners take Buxton... They have been building their pitching for a little while. They are moving into the offensive phase.

4. Orioles take Almora... They have Young Pitching... They have a young SS... Surprise pick of Almora here.

5. Royals take Correa... They have organizational strength everywhere. This is a BPA pick.

6. Cubs take Zimmer... They need pitching and Pitching Quick... A college Arm makes sense.

7. Padres take Marrero... They could use a fast track infielder.

8. Pirates take Zunino... Was probably banking on Marrero but Surprised and Happy that Zunino falls to them.

9. Marlins take Giolito... After the Cubs... This is the team that will roll the dice on this kid.

10. Rockies take Hawkins... Something tells me that Pitching will not be the Rockies Direction.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Houston Appel
    Twins Buxton
    Seattle Zunino
    Balt Gausman
    KC Zimmer
    Cubs Correa
    Padres Fried
    Pirates Giolito
    Marlins Seager
    Rockies Dahl