Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Twins should take a flyer of Michael Bowden

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Twins should take a flyer of Michael Bowden

Michael Bowden was DFA'd again by the Cubs. I am convinced that his issues are coming from the pen. Boston (and how Chicago) have been trying to convert him to a reliever. We are talking for a guy who has a career: 3.27 ERA, 1.155 WHIP, 7.1 K/9 and 2.38 K/BB in 3 AAA seasons. That K/9 would put him on the top 3 in the Twins' organization. He is just 25. Has been on the top 100 BA prospect list 3 times. He just started 2 games in the majors before Boston gave up. He is out of options

Here is what I am thinking: with the Twins' rotation in 2013 up for grabs, why not look at the future, sign Bowden, DFA Gray, and have him be in the pen the rest of the season, converting him into a starter in 2013. Cannot harm anything. Just not many 2013 options there
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 534 Times in 353 Posts
    I endorse this plan.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I would not do that to Gray.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    what is your problem with Gray he has been very consistant this year besides a couple bad outings, but I trust him as a solid middle reliever. For 2013 I don't think it is as bad as it sounds for the rotation. Hendriks and Diamond appear like locks with Gibson, Walters, and Swarzak as options. Then you add to fact that if the Twins keep the same payroll they will have 35 million to spend with most of it likely going to starting pitching. I may be on an island but i think the twins can contend in 2013 if they use their money wisely this winter.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was in favor of Bowden earlier but he got a chance and had an Era almost 7 so I don't think it is a slam dunk case. Would I still claim probably but if they didn't I won't rip on the Twins.

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he would be worth a shot.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

The Cubs pulled off a trade to override the claims of others. Will be interesting to see if he does get thru waivers again. The Twins have the 40-man spots, they just have to keep him in the majors. Yes, he should start. (Always thought the package of Jon Lester, Coco Crisp, Jed Lowrie, Justin Masterson and Michael Bowden was a good one bandered about regarding Santana -- truth, don't know...but the Twins didn't want Crisp). Wpuld I replace Walters or Diamond with him? Not today. Do I want to lose Burton or Gray yet, probably not. Is Brunett worthy of optioning out -- well, he has pitched good. I'm not letting go of Swarzak. How do I keep him around. How, how, how. Maybe if Pavano tanks and goes on the DL we can find a place. Yes, I want him as a Twin. But not sure how you can really keep him on the roster.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Send de vries down that makes a spot and I wouldn't mind never seeing Blackburn in a twins uniform again

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I would send Manship back down.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,238 Times in 492 Posts
    Jeff Gray is quietly building himself a bit of a cult following. When was the last time a lousy reliever generated so much support?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    The Cubs pulled off a trade to override the claims of others. Will be interesting to see if he does get thru waivers again. The Twins have the 40-man spots, they just have to keep him in the majors. Yes, he should start. (Always thought the package of Jon Lester, Coco Crisp, Jed Lowrie, Justin Masterson and Michael Bowden was a good one bandered about regarding Santana -- truth, don't know...but the Twins didn't want Crisp). Wpuld I replace Walters or Diamond with him? Not today. Do I want to lose Burton or Gray yet, probably not. Is Brunett worthy of optioning out -- well, he has pitched good. I'm not letting go of Swarzak. How do I keep him around. How, how, how. Maybe if Pavano tanks and goes on the DL we can find a place. Yes, I want him as a Twin. But not sure how you can really keep him on the roster.
    Are you seriously having this much trouble finding someone you're willing to part with from a pitching staff that is the worst in baseball by a wide margin?

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Jeff Gray is quietly building himself a bit of a cult following. When was the last time a lousy reliever generated so much support?
    Amen. I don't understand why there is a Jeff Gray fan club of sorts. He's a mediocre journeyman reliever with an awful 1.34 WHIP (1.468 Career) and poor K/9 career rate of 5.3. He's 30 and not getting any better. Let someone else who is getting better and has earned a shot pitch. I'd remove Manship and Gray from the 25 man roster in favor of Bowden and Slama.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the problem is bowden as a reliever than why are we getting ride of a pen guy to make room for him? If you want him start get ride of a starter. De vries is the clear choice if you want Bowden.

Liked 3,012 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    If the problem is bowden as a reliever than why are we getting ride of a pen guy to make room for him? If you want him start get ride of a starter. De vries is the clear choice if you want Bowden.
    Yeah, if indeed you need a spot for a pitcher, it's not rocket surgery to find said spot.

But you need him in the rotation -- hopefully. Replaces Blackburn? Yes, I wish the Twins would eat the salary and say bye-bye (shades of Carlos Silva) but they won't. Yes, he could fill the Manship role. I do perdict Gray and Burton will depart at some point, but the Twins will keep them as long as possible, for some insane reason.

Another bullpen-related head scratcher, why is Burton routinely getting mentioned in the same breath as Gray.

One is clearly not like the other, at least it should be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Another bullpen-related head scratcher, why is Burton routinely getting mentioned in the same breath as Gray.

One is clearly not like the other, at least it should be clear.
    Yup. Gray has 3 wins. Burton 0. Clearly, Gray is way more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    0 saves.

They're no Matt Capps.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    It's ridiculous that you think wins are an important pitcher stat. Especially for relievers who have to get lucky to get them. Burton can strike people out, has a better track record, better ERA, and keeps runners off the base paths (.915 WHIP).

Personally, I'd like to give Bowden a shot at starting, Devries moved to the long relief role, and Swarzak traded. Hard to do that all at once, but it's a pretty good scenario.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 06-01-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    It's ridiculous that you think wins are an important pitcher stat. Especially for relievers who have to get lucky to get them. Burton can strike people out, has a better track record, better ERA, and keeps runners off the base paths (.915 WHIP).

Personally, I'd like to give Bowden a shot at starting, Devries moved to the long relief role, and Swarzak traded. Hard to do that all at once, but it's a pretty good scenario.
    It's possible your snark detection equipment isn't fully functional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast