Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Parmelee hitting .452/575/.839 in AAA

Parmelee hitting .452/575/.839 in AAA

in 31 ABs. Obviously, this is a small sample size. But, if he regains the composure he showed in his September call up, where and when do you see him fitting back in with the Twins?

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that it's important that he play almost every day to hone his skills and focus. Unless the Twins can fit him into the lineup as a regular starter, I would like to see him stay in Rochester until September. I would hate to see him riding the bench at the MLB level when he could be getting experience at Rochester.

The Twins are paying Morneau a lot to play first base and Gardenhire likes resting Mauer by playing him at DH, so there does not seem to be much room for Parmelee.

It also might make sense to trade Paemelee to a team who really wants a promising 1B prospect and who will offer a equivalent starting pitching prospect in return.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think Parmelee has enough power at first base to make him a highly sought after trade chip.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately i believe parmalee will end up being one of those career AAA guys and maybe a replacement in the majors. Hes always done really well in AAA but i just dont think he has the chops in the majors

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Parmelee had his chance now he can wait his turn.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asmus_ndsu View Post
    Unfortunately i believe parmalee will end up being one of those career AAA guys and maybe a replacement in the majors. Hes always done really well in AAA but i just dont think he has the chops in the majors
    This is parmelees first time in AAA. He went from a September callup from AA NB to the majors then made the team out of ST. Parmelee is still a pretty young player. It's not like he's 28 or anything. Let him spend some time in AAA and with an injury to any one of Willingham span or revere and he will be up to play right field.

Willingham gets hurt revere would go to left and parm in right. Same for span and center field. Revere gets hurt and he stays in right with Plouffe staying at 3rd.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asmus_ndsu View Post
    The first time Parmelee played in AAA is this season and that is a grand total of 9 games. So "always" does not apply

Give the kid some time...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,182 Times in 629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    The first time Parmelee played in AAA is this season and that is a grand total of 9 games. So "always" does not apply

Give the kid some time...
    Exactly, why is everyone in such a rush to judge? He's got a swing, let him work it out.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Parmelee's evolution as a player is pretty interesting.

He's always had good control of the strike zone, consistently posting good OBP numbers throughout his minor league career, but started out as a low-average, slugging player, who retooled his swing along the way to increase the batting average. What's especially interesting to me about him (and what gives me hope for his future as a solid MLB player) is how he always does better the second time around. he's always been able to hit once he gets comfortable at a level, which makes me hopeful that when he gets back to the bigs he'll stick.

The current numbers at Rochester are the product of a small sample size to be sure, but it's encouraging that he got sent down, didn't pout, made some adjustments and started hitting the hell out of the ball. I think he's got a chance. Now, he's not really all that young of a player any longer; the need to spend 2 stints at most levels in the minors means this is his Year 24 season and the window is closing. Last sept he was a little lucky (BABIP of .390?), a little bit the beneficiary of Sept baseball, and it wasn't sustainable. I don't think his early stats this year are indicative of his truly ability either: he was a little unlucky (BABIP of .238?) needed to make some adjustments, and struggled with the pressure. Somewhere in the middle is probably the true Chris Parmelee; the combo line is .263/.344/.419 with an OPS+ of 112 and that's not a bad ball player. I think there's a bit more ceiling in OBP & SLG for Parmelee as he gets more comfortable in MLB, too. Don't expect him to be Justin Morneau, but he can be a solid hitter and nice asset for this team, especially if he gets protection against the really tough LHPs.