Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Lineup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2014 Lineup

If you guys had to guess what do you think the Twins lineup and pitching rotation will look like in two years? I am interested to see what everyone has to say.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Dang, I thought this was for 2013, scrap the below:

SP

FA (Joe Blanton?)
    FA (Colby Lewis?)
    Blackburn
    Diamond
    PJ Walters/Hendricks/De Vries (in order of likelihood)

CF - Span
    LF - Revere
    C - Mauer
    DH - Hammer
    1B - Morneau
    RF - Torii Hunter (If price is right; a gimmick to keep attendance up at worst)
    3B - Valencia
    SS - Dozier
    2B - Carroll/Casilla

Not a bod lineup, but still a very weak SP rotation
    Last edited by Ultima Ratio; 05-31-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: For 2013 not 2014
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    The only players currently on our roster that will remain in 2014 are Mauer and Dozier.

Span will be traded for pitching and to make room for our abundance of young outfielders. I think both Bennie and Plouffe will have a shot to earn spots but I don't think Plouffe will show enough during the rest of this season to make 2013's roster, let alone 2014. I hope Revere keeps hitting and will turn into an every day player for us, but I would put his chances at less than 25% for 2014.

As far a pitching goes, I see Perkins still in a Twin's uniform and Diamond, Walters and Hendricks all have a shot, but again less than 25%. We will see a lot of new faces next season and then in 2014 we will have essentially a whole new team.

Mauer catcher
    Parmelee 1st
    Dozier 2nd
    Michael SS
    Sano 3rd
    Benson CF
    Hicks RF
    Revere LF
    Willingham or Morneau DH

SP - Wimmers, Gibson, Bromberg, Diamond, Hermson, Salcedo

CLoser - Perkins
    BP - Guiierrez, Guerra, Slama, Duensing, Hirschfield, someone

Bench - Hermann, someone, someone, someone

I see new young faces. Questions would be who ultimately plays 1st or catches

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Michael would really have to start raking the ball, because I believe he is hitting something like .205 in Single-A. Rosterman, while those guys that you have in the starting rotation are guys from our system, I think that the Twins will have gotten at least one FA pitcher from another organization (not that I believe that the Twins won't have most of those guys in their rotation). Could someone enlighten me as to who Hirschfield is?

I'll take a shot at 2014:
    SP
    Gibson
    Diamond
    Hendricks
    Hermsen
    Gausman/Appel/FA(Garza?)

RP
    Gutierrez
    Waldrop
    Guerra
    Swarzak
    Manship
    Robinson
    Perkins(Closer)

Line Up
    RF - Span
    CF - Hicks
    C - Mauer
    LF - Willingham
    DH - Morneau
    3B - Sano
    SS - Dozier
    1B - Parmelee
    2B - Michael

Bench
    OF/INF - Plouffe
    OF - Revere
    C - Chris Hermann
    INF - Florimon

Just a shot in the dark, this could probably all change if they decide to blow up the roster this summer but I'm going on the basis that they won't and won't be really active in free agency either just as the twins do.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    There will be continue to be significant turnover between now and the end of 2013, which makes predicting the 2014 roster impossible beyond those still under contract (Mauer, Hammer, Perkins, Span and options on Blackburn, Carroll and Yoshi... that's it, right?)
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Hollimon beats out Florimon because Hollimon actually has power and is increasing his fielding ability whereas Florimon really doesn't have any power potential.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    I think Hollimon beats out Florimon because Hollimon actually has power and is increasing his fielding ability whereas Florimon really doesn't have any power potential.
    Hollimon will be 30 in two weeks. Florimon is 25. If Hollimon doesn't break through this year, he leaves this organization. Florimon has hit half a dozen homers this year between NB and Rochester. He's not a little guy--I think he'll develop some power. In summary, Florimon probably has a future with the Twins, Hollimon probably doesn't.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    There will be continue to be significant turnover between now and the end of 2013, which makes predicting the 2014 roster impossible beyond those still under contract (Mauer, Hammer, Perkins, Span and options on Blackburn, Carroll and Yoshi... that's it, right?)
    I just think it is fun to see what people think. And by 2014 I imagine that a lot of the prospects will be up and possibly everyday players.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 175 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is my 2014 Opening Day Line-up (Starting pitcher and Closer included)

C - Hermann or Free Agent
    1B - Morneau/Parmelee
    2B - Rosario
    SS - Dozier
    3B - Mauer
    LF - Sano
    CF - Aaron Hicks
    RF - Angel Morales
    DH - Morneau/Parmelee

SP - Peabody Firefrost (The 1st overall pick from the 2013 draft - he has Strasburg's power arm and make-up, mixed with Patrick Swayze's ability to twinkle his toes while dancing.

Closer - G.P. Dynamite (Glen Perkins legally changes his name to this)

Liked 2,182 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post

C - Hermann or Free Agent
    1B - Morneau/Parmelee
    2B - Rosario
    SS - Dozier
    3B - Mauer
    LF - Sano
    CF - Aaron Hicks
    RF - Angel Morales
    DH - Morneau/Parmelee

SP - Peabody Firefrost (The 1st overall pick from the 2013 draft - he has Strasburg's power arm and make-up, mixed with Patrick Swayze's ability to twinkle his toes while dancing.

Nice... I was reading along and I actually stopped and googled Peabody Firefrost. Two points for you Bark. I'll take my usual minus one.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 175 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Nice... I was reading along and I actually stopped and googled Peabody Firefrost. Two points for you Bark. I'll take my usual minus one.
    River Brian, take the 3 points back. You crack me up! It is well worth the price of admission.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,173 Times in 624 Posts
    River Brian, take the 3 points back. You crack me up! It is well worth the price of admission.
    Thank god there is at least 2 people who can mix their Twins obsession with a sense of humour. On a serious note, Bark, I like the inclusion of Rosario at 2nd although in 2014 I'm torn between him and Florimon, Rosario 2015, other than that, aces.

Liked 2,182 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With egg on my face and an admitted lack of 2012 knowledge I have to ask.

How do you quote multiple quotes in one reply? I hit "reply with quote" and it neatly puts it in a box for me. Adding another quote to the original quote is beyond my talents.

That skill could come in handy.

Yes... Everyone can make fun of me for not knowing this but teach me while making fun of me.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,173 Times in 624 Posts
    With egg on my face and an admitted lack of 2012 knowledge I have to ask.

How do you quote multiple quotes in one reply? I hit "reply with quote" and it neatly puts it in a box for me. Adding another quote to the original quote is beyond my talents.

That skill could come in handy.

Yes... Everyone can make fun of me for not knowing this but teach me while making fun of me.
    See the little icon to the right of Reply With Quote? That's the multi-quote button, hit that to quote the first message you want to appear, for the next quote you want to appear just hit the "Reply with Quote" button on that message and it will appear under the first message and so on, voila.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

Google says that Peabody Firefrost Sid Finchs bastard child?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Difficult to project 2014 right now, but here's an idea:

C: Mauer
    1B: Parmelee
    2B: Veteran Free Agent That Many People Think is Washed-up
    SS: Dozier
    3B: Plouffe
    LF: Willingham
    CF: Revere
    RF: Benson
    DH: Veteran Free Agent That Many People Think is Washed-up

Rotation:
    Gibson
    Diamond
    Hendriks
    Wimmers
    Veteran Free Agent That Many People Think is Washed-up

Bullpen:
    Glen Perkins
    Deolis Guerra
    A bunch of guys we can't possibly know...yet (and that's ok)

I suspect Gardy hates Valencia and will run him out of town. Plouffe is enough of an enigma he won't go away, which will drive a close friend of mine nuts, so clearly he has to be in the Opening Day lineup. I 'massuming Willingham doesn't get dealt to be the "veteran slugger" and I'm actually ok with it, since his contract is reasonable and we need his kind of power. This presumes Span gets dealt, and I just pray we got something good for him and not a couple of A-ball prospects and/or a reliever. Benson looks like he has no shot right now, so I have to pick him, since someone is coming out of nowhere to make the 2014 roster. Rosario won't be ready yet (mid-season call up), so the Twins will sign a guy like Jamey Carroll to caddy for a while. the rotation is not my preference, just what i think might happen; I'd rather see the Twins drop some serious money on a front-line starter (Zack Greinke might be my top choice), but I can't say they'll do it. So I'm assuming it'll be guys working through the system with an old veteran in the back (the tradition of Livan Hernandez, Jason Marquis, etc. lives on!). Guerra should be in the 'pen by 2014; absent injury, I expect him there in 2013, with Perkins taking over as closer. The rest of the jobs should be filled as needed like we did this year: without spending stupid money on anyone, or signing guys for their name.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    SP
    James Sheilds
    Gibson
    Hendricks
    Diamond
    Bromberg

RP
    Perkins
    Guerra
    Burnett
    Duensing
    Tyler Robertson
    Oliveros
    Waldrop

Line Up
    RF - Benson
    LF - Nick Swisher
    C - Mauer
    DH - Willingham
    1B - Morneau
    3B - Deibinson Romero
    SS - Dozier
    2B - Pedro Floriman
    CF - Hicks

Bench
    OF - Revere
    IF - Carroll
    IF/OF - Parmalee
    C - Butera

Other guys in the mix:
    C/OF - Chris Hermann
    OF - Oswaldo Arcia
    INF - James Beresford
    SP - BJ Hermsen
    RP - Carlos Gutierrez
    RP - Swarzak

In 2013, Twins trade Span for Sheilds, sign Nick Swisher to a Willingham-ish/Cuddyer-ish deal to rotate between OF/1B/DH, and a one year innings eater starter to let some of the kids develop. Revere gets a shot in CF until Benson or Hicks are ready. Parmalee gets in the mix in the interim as well. The rotation keeps playing musical chairs, but there is enough talent there to find 5 arms. Blackburn, Burton, Capps & Valencia leave after the season.

In 2014, Morneau has been relatively healthy and productive, but still is enough of a risk to sign cheap...a one year FA deal to stay in MN. If they can find a decent/cheap FA infielder, they might sign him, but I don't see one so they stick with Carroll. Otherwise they stay pretty aggressive in having a very inexperienced team, but with just enough veteran-y goodness. Hicks is a stretch, but Revere & Parmalee won't be good enough to keep him down. Sano, Rosario, Michael, & Morales are all in the high minors for extra depth, so the young guys all better be on their toes. The team has enough payroll flexibility to add players during the season if needed. The rotation isn't great but good enough to compete, the bullpen is solid, the defense is improved, but the offense will depend on the rookies not stinking.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    SP
    Gibson
    Diamond
    Hendriks
    Bromberg
    Free Agent/Walters

RP
    Burnett
    Slama
    Guerra
    Oliveros
    Robertson
    Duensing
    Perkins(CL)

Line Up
    CF - Revere
    C - Mauer
    RF - Sano
    1B - Morneau
    LF - Willingham
    DH - Free Agent
    2B - Free Agent/Rosario
    SS - Dozier
    3B - Romero/Florimon/Valencia (Yuck)

Bench
    OF/INF - Plouffe
    OF - Arcia/Benson
    C - Chris Hermann
    INF - Chris Parmelee
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 06-01-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast