Thread: Article: Twins Draft Preview I

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Draft Preview I

Liked 111 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great research. You should be proud of this story. Twins fans can't find stuff like this anyplace else.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aside from Ben Revere (who they were proven right in taking), when else since Adam Johnson have they signed someone below "slot" or to some pre-arranged agreement. They have gone over-slot in recent years on Gibson, Michael, Harrison and Boyd (plus later round picks like Williams, Higginbotham, Hermsen, Manship, etc.). They met slot on Wimmers, Hicks, Gutierrez, Parmelee and others.

I had Richardson on my podcast back when he was drafted by the Twins. Good guy, but I agree that I bet he wishes he had signed. Great athlete, but yeah, he's Revere-like in size. I talked to Pat Light back then, and he knew he was going to Monmouth at the time unless overwhelmed.

Blog Entries
    Looking back through the signings over the last half-dozen years, there have been a handful of players who have received bonuses that came in just under slot (we're talking just under), Rosario and Nate Roberts were both signed for hundreds of dollars under slot. But you are right, not many. I think changes are in store under the new CBA. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Signing "for slot", through 2011, was the exception in baseball, not the rule. Last year only 5 of the 33 first round picks signed for slot. In my mind, when you just "sign for slot" you're taking a discount. Wimmers was one of 10 to sign for, or less than, slot in 2010. Of those 15 total draftees, not many have even been a blip on the prospect radar. Deglin, Fotynewicz, Culver... I could go on. There have been a few - Chris Sale, for example, that turned out okay. Still overdrafted, in my opinion.

Starting in 2012, signing for slot is going to be the rule. But, as in the past, the Twins will be the exception and now that will mean signing guys for below slot. Of course, they'll will be exceptions (to the exception) and there will be guys they pay slot money, but again... it's all just one guy's opinion.

Blog Entries
    Thanks John. It's hard to get excited after the 99-loss clunker. The draft is one thing to get excited about.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it really that hard to get excited about the Twins upcoming season? Geez, I can't wait until pitchers and catchers report!!

Blog Entries
    Ha, Seth. You're right. I'm still excited... it's just a different excitement. I'm more excited for what's going to happen about 4 hours to the southeast of the Cities though. I'll be taking my trip to Beloit the end of April.