Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Depending on Dozier

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Depending on Dozier

Looking for a short stop prospect in the Twins? How about James Beresford?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff... You can probably write the same thing and substitute "Valencia" for "Dozier" and "third base" for "short stop" and be equally correct. Their numbers are interestingly similar too:

Dozier: 97 PAs 21 H, 4 2B, 2 HR, 3 BB, 20 K
    Valencia: 103 PAs, 19 H, 5 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 2 BB, 23 K

(unless one thinks that Plouffe might be an option at 3B or Sano in 3 years)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Carroll has been mildly disappointing at the plate, but I suspect by season end he'll be hitting closer to his career norms and his OBP will make him a reasonable option. But his best position is "utility INF who plays a fair amount", since his defense is more than adequate at SS, 2B, and 3B. I actually think the bigger reason why Dozier is up is because they've tossed Valencia back to AAA, rather than Carroll's performance at SS. And once Dozier came up it made more sense to adjust the roles accordingly.

Carroll's a useful piece. But the Twins will be best off if Dozier proves he can handle the position defensively (so far, so good) and offensively (jury very much out) for the next several years.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 527 Times in 347 Posts
    And, probably 1B and RF too....once Morneau is dealt....but yes, 3B is just as bad as SS. Heck, who is the 2B?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    And, probably 1B and RF too....once Morneau is dealt....but yes, 3B is just as bad as SS. Heck, who is the 2B?
    That is correct as far as it goes. It appears that there is no one in the system that profiles as an above average regular at 2B, SS, 3B and RF. However, I think the Twins need to know whether they have to go outside their organization for any or all of those positions. As for Dozier, he has shown that he can adjust so far, so I think he'll be all right or better than that at the plate as a shortstop.

I think Carroll has value as a utility guy for a good team. I hope he gets traded and brings back a decent return.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    That is correct as far as it goes. It appears that there is no one in the system that profiles as an above average regular at 2B, SS, 3B and RF. .
    That is not exactly correct
    Eddie Rosario profiles as above average at 2B and there are 2-3 players who profile as above average regulars at RF including Sano, if he ends up there instead of 1B. SS and 3B are issues, unless Travis Harrison can stay at 3B and does not have to move across the diamond. Just these guys are not playing to the majors any time soon...
    -----

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 527 Times in 347 Posts
    Ah, sorry thrylos, I thought we were talking within 3 years....yes, Rosario and Sano hopefully cover 2 of 2B, 1B, RF....
    Lighten up Francis....

Now IS the time to be a Twins rookie. You can get a long looksee, or a chance to come up, sample the life, be rotated back to the minors to actually work on stuff, and be called up to see how you do...and if you show promise, chances are you will have a major league job in 2013....unless you pull a Valencia and get sent back down into limbo land. The only constraints the Twins have is how many people you can rotate thru the 40-man roster, future service time issues and all. You don't need to have a bunch of wannabees that are one-year wonders ONLY holding down the fort. Are they still raw enough to keep in the system and shine (Dozier, Parmele, Revere, Benson et al) or just replaceable fodder (Gray, Walters, Diamond, Maloney, Towles, Butera et al). There is no snortage of also ran players that can give you entertaining (not winning) baseball.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Waverley Wildcat View Post
    Looking for a short stop prospect in the Twins? How about James Beresford?
    I like Beresford too, but he has zero power and has an awful Slugging % to show for it. I can't see him ever breaking .700 in OPS and his baserunning is mediocre as well. There are too many flaws for him to ever become a regular on an MLB team.

Great stuff as usual Nick! After reading this, various other articles and watching this team I have a new article idea for you. It's called "How in the hell does Bill Smith still have a job in this organization." Try and tackle that please!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Is Niko Goodrum too far away from the majors to be considered in this, or has he been moved to a different position?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markos View Post
    Is Niko Goodrum too far away from the majors to be considered in this, or has he been moved to a different position?
    Goodrum has not played a single professional game yet He is in extended spring training and will probably start in Elizabethton this season.
    -----

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have patience! Unless they determine after this year that he doesn't have the ability to defend at the major league level, they need to give him this year and next.

I hope the Twins management is more wise than some on the board that want to group him in with players who have over 1000 major league plate appearances.

The Twins need to develop their own. They can't buy a polished player for every position. Developing often includes times of struggle. Morneau, Hunter, Bartlett, Ortiz, Cuddyer all struggled early while on a path where they eventually played in an all star game.

I really believe the Twins need to build with an eye towards 2014 and a goal of 90 wins. If the Twins don't find some pieces within the organization, they won't get out of this hole. He can be a piece of that puzzle. Parmelee can be another piece. There will be struggle along the way. Are we willing to wait?

http://twinsdaily.com/entry.php?598-...-Growing-Pains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If we want a SS that will be a mainstay then we need to draft Carlos Correa. I know he won't help for quite a few years but once he is up we will not have to worry about who is going to be the SS the next year because we will know Correa will be that guy for many years.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Goodrum has not played a single professional game yet He is in extended spring training and will probably start in Elizabethton this season.
    Didn't Goodrum play at Elizabethton last season?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PMKI View Post
    If we want a SS that will be a mainstay then we need to draft Carlos Correa. I know he won't help for quite a few years but once he is up we will not have to worry about who is going to be the SS the next year because we will know Correa will be that guy for many years.
    I think Correa would be a good pick, but he will grow out of the SS position.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I think Correa would be a good pick, but he will grow out of the SS position.
    I guess that is a really possibility but than he can just go to third.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    These are transition years. Dozier can take his hacks, learn the hitting game at the mlb level, and maybe start raising his avg during the season. Meanwhile, he's a very solid glove at SS, and he's definitely a competitor. I think he's got a little Pedroia in him.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markos View Post
    Didn't Goodrum play at Elizabethton last season?
    Yes and the GCL the season before. For some reason looks like he will repeat Elizabethton or get to Beloit after the promotions clear space. Just too many SS ahead of him right now (Michael, Grimes) so there is no playing time for him in pro ball yet this season.
    -----