Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Hicks - P?

Aaron Hicks - P?

I may be tarred and feathered for even mentioning this, but every so often I wonder about the possibility of Aaron Hicks being moved to the pitcher's mound. I realize that he's loaded with tools, is a great outfielder, and has a keen eye at the plate, but otherwise his numbers have been above average for his level at best. When the Twins drafted him, there were some teams that were looking at him as a pitcher, he could throw upwards of 97 mph at the time, and the video I saw of his curveball was impressive. Seeing that the Twins have a lack of pitching talent and a surplus of OFers, I wonder if the Twins even remember that moving him could be an option? Or, how long does he need to put up uninspiring numbers for this to be discussed again?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The best way to turn Hicks to a pitcher, esp. a starting pitcher is through a trade You could probably get an equivalently high pitching prospect for him.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 565 Times in 370 Posts
    The secret to Hicks is to give up on the switch hitting, but they refuse to pull the plug. That's another year in the minors where he doesn't practice hitting from one side down the drain.
    Lighten up Francis....

Maybe Hicks can pitch a few games in winter ball.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 381 Times in 234 Posts
    I think the conversion to pitcher would be a lengthy one. Not only has he not pitched in half a decade, but he only did so at the HS level. It could be done, but if the Twins do it, he might not be ready for the Twins liking before he would become a minor league free agent, in which case the the Twins would have groomed him for another club's benefit.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 507 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do not think we will ever see Hicks as a pitcher. He is a only 22 and I expect he will figure out his hitting problems to a certain degree. Maybe eliminating the switch hitting element of his game would help? I hope the clock is ticking down on that (switch hitting is very overrated). If the Twins were to demand Hicks converts to a pitcher. My guess is he would call it a career and focus his energy on being a pro golfer - from what I hear, he is pretty good. If some want to use T-Hunt as an example of development - Hunter didn't emerge until his age 25/26 season. There is still a fare amount of time for Hicks and it is way too soon to lose hope on his promise.

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    I do not think we will ever see Hicks as a pitcher. He is a only 22 and I expect he will figure out his hitting problems to a certain degree. Maybe eliminating the switch hitting element of his game would help? I hope the clock is ticking down on that (switch hitting is very overrated). If the Twins were to demand Hicks converts to a pitcher. My guess is he would call it a career and focus his energy on being a pro golfer - from what I hear, he is pretty good. If some want to use T-Hunt as an example of development - Hunter didn't emerge until his age 25/26 season. There is still a fare amount of time for Hicks and it is way too soon to lose hope on his promise.
    I wonder if it might make sense to warm him up and see if he can still throw at 97 mph and if he still has a good curve ball. It seems logical to try something different, even if it's just abandoning the switch hitting.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    The secret to Hicks is to give up on the switch hitting, but they refuse to pull the plug. That's another year in the minors where he doesn't practice hitting from one side down the drain.
    Exactly. I don't know why they don't try it immediately.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have this weird feeling that Aaron Hicks will end up being a All-Star caliber OF for us in the future.

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PMKI View Post
    I have this weird feeling that Aaron Hicks will end up being a All-Star caliber OF for us in the future.
    Let's hope that Bark is correct and like Torii Hunter, Hicks will eventually break out. And note that Torii did not fool around with switch hitting.

On the other hand, Hicks was a great pitcher in high school with superior velocity, and who knows whether he could become a great pitcher in the majors.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    On the other hand, Hicks was a great pitcher in high school with superior velocity, and who knows whether he could become a great pitcher in the majors.
    Buxton is too, and like Hicks he can throw 99 mph. Straight and FB and Slowball only. But High School kids cannot catch up to that. All OFs with strong arms can throw fast and straight. Does not mean that they project as Ps in pro ball.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Ditto Arcia. Quit the switch-hitting now.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    I can't see how a few bull pen sessions and maybe a simulated game could hurt anything. Wouldn't it be worth a try?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Ditto Arcia. Quit the switch-hitting now.
    Arcia is not a switch hitter. He just struggles mightily against lefties (though he makes up for it).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    I can't see how a few bull pen sessions and maybe a simulated game could hurt anything. Wouldn't it be worth a try?
    No I don't think it is worth a try. One cannot just start pitching again after several seasons not doing it. A whole bunch of stuff has to change, including workouts and training. An injury is the most likely result from that kind of an experiment.

He's 22 at AA. His defense is excellent and there is no reason to think that the offense won't improve given two more minor league seasons.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with everyone who has said that he 1) Shouldn't be converted to being a pitcher and 2) He and the Twins should give up on him switch-hitting, because from what I have read is that he rakes on the right side and is not very good on the left side.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    I agree with everyone who has said that he 1) Shouldn't be converted to being a pitcher and 2) He and the Twins should give up on him switch-hitting, because from what I have read is that he rakes on the right side and is not very good on the left side.
    Well, he hits well from the right side against lefties. And is bad from the left side against righties. It isn't necessarily about "giving up" on the switch-hitting, but about experimenting with him batting from the right side against righties. If he isn't better from the right side, somehow, I would be surprised though.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if Hicks does give up switch hitting, but keep in mind that he is one of the youngest players in all of AA. He is still learning. For perspective.....there is only one younger hitter in the Eastern League who is hitting better than Hicks (Jefry Marte).

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    Position players pitch now and then. Butera pitched an inning early this year. I'm not talking about sticking him out there for a 9 inning game. 20-30 pitches in the bull pen a few times will likely give the coaches an idea if he has a chance or not. You certainly wouldn't pitch him in games this year but you could figure out for after the season if it's a viable option for next year. However, he is still young no reason to panic yet but it would be nice to see a little more progress.

Liked 141 Times in 88 Posts
    I'd rather have him try hitting from the right side against right handed pitchers. Maybe something clicks and he starts tearing it up. Maybe not, but that would be my first step before trying him out on the mound.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast