Thread: Marquis

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Marquis

According to MLB Trade Rumors, the Padres are considering signing Marquis. For them, this move makes sense because they currently have four of their starting pitchers on the DL, but just barely in the sense that Marquis is kind of bad.

Liked 298 Times in 167 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    According to MLB Trade Rumors, the Padres are considering signing Marquis. For them, this move makes sense because they currently have four of their starting pitchers on the DL, but just barely in the sense that Marquis is kind of bad.
    This could be part of a strategy to get next year's #1 draft pick.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I bet he will pitch pretty well too.

For anyone that wants to sign him, its a prorated amount of the major league minimum...........

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Of Marquis will go on to win 10 games for them. Then everybody posting on Twins Daily will say that they could see this coming, that the Twins should never have let him go, and Gardy needs to be fired because of it.

Liked 298 Times in 167 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Of Marquis will go on to win 10 games for them. Then everybody posting on Twins Daily will say that they could see this coming, that the Twins should never have let him go, and Gardy needs to be fired because of it.
    He may do better in the NL than the AL, but I would give long odds against him winning 10 games.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I was pitching in the Majors and my career had fallen on very, very bad times production wise, thus leading to my release. San Diego would be my first choice to sign with. Petco Park is the medicine to a pitcher's ills and he will probably put up good numbers pitching in tha..... Oops... Strike what I have just typed. I must have lost my head. Marquis' last home baseball park was the Petco Park of the American League - Target Field.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Padres officially signed him. We're still stuck with his salary, which is depressing.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7985613/source-jason-marquis-agrees-deal-san-diego-padres

Liked 1,214 Times in 551 Posts
    Not everybody.

Liked 707 Times in 455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish him well. If he turns it around with the Friars. Good for him. The Twins need to see what they have with Diamond and Walters. Marquis would have just been in the way.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 27 Posts

Not me.

(My first post.)

Btw. He won't win 10 games. He might win 10 games in the rest of his entire major league career. If he's lucky.
    Last edited by 70charger; 05-30-2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: addition

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish Marquis the best. I think he could make a bit of a comeback with the Padres as he seems much better suited to the National League. It was better for us to part ways now instead of dragging things out. We need to focus on the future and he needs to focus on his family and getting back to being a serviceable MLB pitcher.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's in the NL and has a pitcher's park. Provided he can dig himself out of the minors, Marquis couldn't have been put into a better situation to succeed. If he can't make it with the Padres, I wish him well in retirement.

I wish him luck. He seemed like a good guy and had an awful thing happen to him this year. The Padres might be the spot.

Liked 365 Times in 206 Posts
    I wish him well.

If he manages to win 10 for the Padres, I don't think the comments will complain that the Twins didn't keep him. I think the comments will focus on Rick Anderson and the Twins pitching philosophy.

But I also think it isn't worth worrying about. Marquis was just downright awful for Minnesota.