Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Baseball America's top 500

  1. #21
    Senior Member Double-A PMKI's Avatar
    Posts
    128
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    Definitely is a strong word, I prefer Giolito but those 2 seem pretty solid. I was down on Buxton early because he sounded like Carlos Gomez 2.0 but after reading some more stuff on him I'm warming up to the idea. Correa has looked solid for a while and I don't understand why he is not higher on most boards.
    I would also like Giolito but I just don't really see that happening. I really do not want any of those three college pitchers. I know that I may regret that in the future. Right now I would rank the pitchers like this: Gausman, Zimmer, Appel. I am guessing that is the opposite way the Twins feel but Appel really scares me.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Double-A PMKI's Avatar
    Posts
    128
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Does anyone think that Stryker Trahan could be available at #32? I would really love for the Twins to snag him somehow but I don't see him available there. Addison Russell is someone I could see us getting at #32.

  3. #23

    Draft

    At #2 I see us taking either Buxton or Correa, Mitch Brown at 32 and J.O. Berrios at 42 on Monday night.

  4. #24
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,186
    Like
    99
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PMKI View Post
    Does anyone think that Stryker Trahan could be available at #32? I would really love for the Twins to snag him somehow but I don't see him available there. Addison Russell is someone I could see us getting at #32.
    Trahan could fall to us at 32 but it's probably not likely. Klaw was reporting that several teams outside the top 10 were considering going under value with their first round picks to save money later. So guys expected to be taken low in the first round or even supplemental could be drafted higher than expected.

    Russell is an interesting pick and certainly a Twins type pick. Pace HS is about 2 hours from Ft Myers so I could see the Twins taking him. But I still think they take Mitch Brown at #32.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Double-A PMKI's Avatar
    Posts
    128
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Trahan could fall to us at 32 but it's probably not likely. Klaw was reporting that several teams outside the top 10 were considering going under value with their first round picks to save money later. So guys expected to be taken low in the first round or even supplemental could be drafted higher than expected.

    Russell is an interesting pick and certainly a Twins type pick. Pace HS is about 2 hours from Ft Myers so I could see the Twins taking him. But I still think they take Mitch Brown at #32.
    Like I said I would be absolutely thrilled if we got Trahan. Are we reaching for Brown at #32 just because he is a Minnesota guy? Or is that where he should be drafted?

  6. #26
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,186
    Like
    99
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PMKI View Post
    Like I said I would be absolutely thrilled if we got Trahan. Are we reaching for Brown at #32 just because he is a Minnesota guy? Or is that where he should be drafted?
    It's about right - Callis and Sickels both have both commented on the fit. Callis said something to the effect of if other teams want Brown, they'd have to take him late first. Sickels thinks he's one of the most advanced HS arms in the country and was shooting up draft boards. He probably doesn't make it to #42 but #32 is a fine pick.

  7. #27
    I was surprised at how compact his swing is and yes you are right his weight transfer is pretty early. The other thing i noticed is that sometimes his swing tend to be more loopy then flat through the zone. In the video he pops up a couple of pitches in the game and it looks like his bat is looping into an uppercut swing instead of staying flat

  8. #28
    Senior Member Double-A PMKI's Avatar
    Posts
    128
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Somebody needs to contact Terry Ryan and tell him this pick needs to be Carlos Correa! Kid is going to be a stud.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by PMKI View Post
    The pick at #2 definitely has to be either Byron Buxton or Carlos Correa.
    I am actually starting to warm up to the idea of Correa. he looks really really nice. In a few years sano will be moced to 1B or Corner Outifeld and Arcia will be the other. Correa will be able to play SS or 3b.

    So in a few years you could be looking at:

    DH: Morneau
    1B: Sano (all though I wouldnt be totally suprised if Mauer is here)
    C: TBD (Mauer)
    3B: Travis Harrison (maybe, hope he can field the ball)
    SS: Correa
    2B: Rosario (good candidate to be moved to CF)
    CF: Hicks?, Span? Kepler?
    COF: Arcia
    COF: Morales?

    That is a lot of power and Correa also can hit for average obviously.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Double-A PMKI's Avatar
    Posts
    128
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RinaldiPhotos View Post
    I am actually starting to warm up to the idea of Correa. he looks really really nice. In a few years sano will be moced to 1B or Corner Outifeld and Arcia will be the other. Correa will be able to play SS or 3b.

    So in a few years you could be looking at:

    DH: Morneau
    1B: Sano (all though I wouldnt be totally suprised if Mauer is here)
    C: TBD (Mauer)
    3B: Travis Harrison (maybe, hope he can field the ball)
    SS: Correa
    2B: Rosario (good candidate to be moved to CF)
    CF: Hicks?, Span? Kepler?
    COF: Arcia
    COF: Morales?

    That is a lot of power and Correa also can hit for average obviously.
    Thank you! If only the Twins saw this but it doesn't sound like they are really connected to him other than they did work him out. I guess they could just be staying quiet but no real point in that. Right now I really think we will end up with Appel because it is sounding like the Astros are going to be picking Buxton. Who knows though.

  11. #31
    I would realistically be happy with the top 5 to be:
    2. Kevin Gausman
    32. Mitch Brown
    42. Adam Brett-Walker
    64. Kevin Plawecki or Peter O'Brian
    72. Pat Light or Kieran Lovegrove

    I think that provides I solid mix of players. We have a college pitcher with upside and the ability to move quickly. A high school pitcher who has high upside. A college bat who might have the best power in the draft. A college catcher who can move quickly and stick at the position. And the last pick is either a safe college pitcher who could move quickly or a project guy with lots of potential.

    Obviously there are lots of guys I like but I found this draft to be well rounded, it's only missing a high school bat. Other players I like are Buxton, Giolito, Correa, Ty Buttery, Mitch Nay, Clint Colture, Addison Russel, Smoral, Hunter Virant, J.O. Berrios, and Nick Travieso

  12. #32
    Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Posts
    243
    Like
    19
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PMKI View Post
    Somebody needs to contact Terry Ryan and tell him this pick needs to be Carlos Correa! Kid is going to be a stud.
    I think you got your wish. Word is there giving him a second workout before the draft.

  13. #33
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,186
    Like
    99
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    I would realistically be happy with the top 5 to be:
    2. Kevin Gausman
    32. Mitch Brown
    42. Adam Brett-Walker
    64. Kevin Plawecki or Peter O'Brian
    72. Pat Light or Kieran Lovegrove

    I think that provides I solid mix of players. We have a college pitcher with upside and the ability to move quickly. A high school pitcher who has high upside. A college bat who might have the best power in the draft. A college catcher who can move quickly and stick at the position. And the last pick is either a safe college pitcher who could move quickly or a project guy with lots of potential.

    Obviously there are lots of guys I like but I found this draft to be well rounded, it's only missing a high school bat. Other players I like are Buxton, Giolito, Correa, Ty Buttery, Mitch Nay, Clint Colture, Addison Russel, Smoral, Hunter Virant, J.O. Berrios, and Nick Travieso
    I think Gausman's lack of a ML ready third pitch plus his lack of control (comparatively) makes him third behind Appel and Zimmer on the Twins wish list (maybe even Giolito). But a future rotation with Gausman and Gibson wouldn't be the worst thing to look forward to.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think Gausman's lack of a ML ready third pitch plus his lack of control (comparatively) makes him third behind Appel and Zimmer on the Twins wish list (maybe even Giolito). But a future rotation with Gausman and Gibson wouldn't be the worst thing to look forward to.
    I've actually heard his third pitch is good and I think the control issues are over played, he has less walks than Appel, he's just thrown more than average wild pitches. Zimmer's velocity scares me off and I think it will scare the twins off too

  15. #35
    Senior Member Double-A PMKI's Avatar
    Posts
    128
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    I think you got your wish. Word is there giving him a second workout before the draft.
    That is GREAT news!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.