Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Finding A Home For Justin Morneau

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What is the impact of Morneau's no trade clause?

Given his contract and health, I would think most of us would be disappointed with the return we will get for Morneau. I would expect one B prospect and one or two other less significant prospects. The Twins could improve the level of return by taking on some of the salary risk. I would prefer the health and contract risk of keeping him.

With both Morneau and Span, the Twins need to play hardball. If they are not traded, I see it as a positive sign that the Twins are only going to trade away one of their few assets if they are blown away by the deal. Let's not expect that kind of offer will present itself.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Nothing under an A prospect, and even then, the Pohlad's will take a big public relations hit.
    There are a couple of B prospects playing at Midway Stadium, and they can be had for free.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Nothing under an A prospect,
    I agree. I just don't think it is reasonable to expect that offer. Let's keep him instead.

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It seems to me that if they trade him, it should be for an A level prospect, even if the Twins have to pick up some salary. It's time to start acting like a mid-market level team and spending some dollars on rebuilding.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 349 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd add Texas to the mix. They need a 1B. I think that's a good place for Span too. They need a leadoff hitter and a CF.

I agree that people will be disappointed by how much the Twins could get for Morneau at this point. I odn't know about A prospects, but if not an A, there needs to be 3-4 Bs (that the scouts/TR think can become an impact player). There's just so much risk with keeping Morneau.

Unless the Twins eat nearly all of his salary I doubt the Twins are offered anything more than a few low minors type players. Morneau's risk and lack of ability to hit lefty's make him only a decent option for these teams.

The Orioles picked up Chris Davis for basically nothing when his salary was basically zero and I feel that Davis is a good comp for Mornaeu talent wise at this point. Both have bad platoon splits, play decent 1B and have good power. Davis has better positional flexibility (3B) and age is on his side. Again, I don't see Morny bringing much in return.

Liked 1,210 Times in 702 Posts
    I have always felt that Morneau was the "heart and soul" of this team -- much more so than Mauer. But as far as I am concerned there is not a single player who is off the trading blocks.

The Twins should be entertaining all offers on every player. And if there are deals that can be worked (taking no trade clauses into account) that will improve the future of this team, then they need to be made. I continue to wait for the Twins to demonstrate that they have a plan that will not only return this team to contention in the Central but will make them realistic contenders in the post-season.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    St Louis is number 1, they will gamble on an injury plagued proven star. I am convinced they will make a run at him since they lost Berkman.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I also feel that Morneau is the heart and soul of the current team. I don't care if his stats are comparable to Chris Davis--the gut tells me the team is far better when he is in the lineup. Unless he is on fire and brings back a true prospect, I'd hate to see him go.

Having said that, for some reason St. Louis seems like the place.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't trade Morneau. Already Cuddy is gone, and this team needs a leader.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I truly feel Morneau is back and still has a few great years ahead of him. Minnesota is not going to contend in those years, so we need to hope his next 2 months are huge and we will get a good return for him if we trade. St Louis has gambled on Berkman, Beltran and Furcal, so for them to gamble on Morneau is not a reach. He is my favorite Twin and I would love to see him shine on a contending team!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, "folks" think Roy Oswalt will decide on a team this week.

We're assuming those "folks" are baseball folks. The Rangers are considered the favorite to sign the veteran right-hander, but the Orioles, Red Sox, Phillies, Dodgers and Brewers have also been mentioned as possibilities. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported Sunday that he's looking for a prorated $7.5 million contract.

TheTwins better get in the bidding if they want to save some face and there jobs!

Why would we trade Morneau? Look at all his production this week alone, and the fans love him so much. Im sure he will be healthy forever now too.

I am almost crying at the thought of him in another uniform.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, "folks" think Roy Oswalt will decide on a team this week.

We're assuming those "folks" are baseball folks. The Rangers are considered the favorite to sign the veteran right-hander, but the Orioles, Red Sox, Phillies, Dodgers and Brewers have also been mentioned as possibilities. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported Sunday that he's looking for a prorated $7.5 million contract.

TheTwins better get in the bidding if they want to save some face and there jobs!
    Save face? What's the point of spending $7.5 million to turn a 100 loss team into a 95 loss team?

Not to mention that the Twins, if they were even interested, would likely have to pony up more dough than any of those other teams because of the teams you've listed they're the least desirable destination. Just say NO to Oswalt.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'd add Texas to the mix. They need a 1B. I think that's a good place for Span too. They need a leadoff hitter and a CF.

I agree that people will be disappointed by how much the Twins could get for Morneau at this point. I odn't know about A prospects, but if not an A, there needs to be 3-4 Bs (that the scouts/TR think can become an impact player). There's just so much risk with keeping Morneau.
    It's a tough move to deal Morneau. His injury history will keep teams from making a big offer on him, even if he stays healthy and keeps slugging. He's a fan-favorite and draw at the ballpark and if healthy his contract is reasonable. His value just hasn't come back enough yet for me to advocate trading him. Parmelee feel back to earth, so it's not like we have a built-in replacement. (Sorry, sports fans, I refuse to get on the "Joe Mauer will move to 1B" bandwagon, for several reasons. 1) Mauer is a great catcher. 2) Mauer wants to play catcher, and Gardy will play guys where they want to play. 3) If Mauer moves to our primary 1B, Butera will become our regular catcher, which will be very ugly once his OPS comes back down to earth. Eesh.)

Now, if a team comes at us with a big offer, it'd be hard to say no. But I don't think we'll get that big offer. I think it's more likely we'll get low-balled as teams hope we'll just dump salary in a losing year and sell low on a former MVP. I don't want to see Justin go. But I'd do it for the right price. But it'd better be for the right price, not just any price.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 122 Posts
    I don't think we can trade Morneau this year. The payoff wouldn't be that great with questions about his health and the contract still lingering. He'd be more valuable next year, if we aren't in contention (but we will be, of course!). Willingham could be worth something this year, though.

Interesting list. I definitely view Toronto as a trade partner, and they have some solid young starting pitching prospects. I think the Rangers would be a good idea as well. They're definitely a contender, and 1B has been their only weakness.

As for Cleveland, I know the Twins are sometimes willing to trade within the division, but would they really trade one of their stars to a rival? Anyway, Cleveland sent all their good pitching prospects to Colorado last year, so the Twins wouldn't get much in Return.

Like the previous commenter, I'd be sad to see Morneau leave, but it would be stupid to hang onto him. I just hope the Twins get good prospects in return.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    We have already let Nate, Young, Kubel, Cuddyer, ect, go. We better not let anyone else go or we won't have a team!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    Don't trade Morneau. Already Cuddy is gone, and this team needs a leader.
    A team leader isn't all that valuable when you lose 100+ games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast