Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects (Part 4: 11-20)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects (Part 4: 11-20)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    wow....pretty good job I like this list a lot.

I wish i was as high on Boer as Seth, but unfortunately i am not. And Pedro Florimon at #20 suprised me a bit, does he deserve or fitt in a top 50? Yeah definately but in a top 20-25? i don't know.

I don't see it.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Florimon is interestingly ranked. I think it is probably high given his age and production combination. I think that the Twins did a dis-service to both Michael and Grimes to having them play at least a level higher than they belong. Michael should be in Beloit. Speaking of Beloit, now that I am pretty sure that he will not make your list, you might want to give a second look at Matthew Koch. I really liked what I saw in ST both as far as catching and hitting goes and he reminds me a lot of Chris Herrmann with a tad more power and less discipline and better catch and throw behind the plate. I know he is flying well under the radar, but he will not be for long if he continues like this...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for putting in all the work on this Seth! It's a great read and fun to debate. With regards to Michael. Does anyone feel that he fell for a reason and not just the injuries. His college statistics and his pro ball stats thus far don't look that impressive and as a first round pick you would think that he would be extrordinary at something. But he just seems to be average at best in most aspects. I think that Carroll's stats from last year with the dodgers is the most we will ever get out of our first round pick. I thought it was a bad take at the time and still fell that way. There were power arms I would rather have taken. But here's to hoping I'm completely wrong!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shs_59 View Post
    wow....pretty good job I like this list a lot.

I wish i was as high on Boer as Seth, but unfortunately i am not. And Pedro Florimon at #20 suprised me a bit, does he deserve or fitt in a top 50? Yeah definately but in a top 20-25? i don't know.

I don't see it.
    In both of those cases, it might speak to where the farm system is. Boer is about potential, certainly not about the stats he has put up.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    You might want to give a second look at Matthew Koch. I really liked what I saw in ST both as far as catching and hitting goes and he reminds me a lot of Chris Herrmann with a tad more power and less discipline and better catch and throw behind the plate. I know he is flying well under the radar, but he will not be for long if he continues like this...
    I partially agree. When I went down there earlier this year, he was only a name to me. But every time he hit the ball it sounded different than everyone else (except Sano). The problem for Koch - probably not for him as much as how he's regarded as a prospect - is his age. He'd be old for the FSL! Regardless, he's a name to watch.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Chance - I am completely unexcited about Michael... Ranking him #15 is actually two spots up from where I had him in my book in January. It's not due to anything he's done. A couple have graduated from the ranks of "prospect" and some injuries as well.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I partially agree. When I went down there earlier this year, he was only a name to me. But every time he hit the ball it sounded different than everyone else (except Sano). The problem for Koch - probably not for him as much as how he's regarded as a prospect - is his age. He'd be old for the FSL! Regardless, he's a name to watch.
    You're right. Koch (pronounced like "Coach") is plenty old for the level of competition. He had a couple of consecutive big games for the Snappers earlier this month. I have a very hard time ranking catchers because, unless they are a good prospect, they play about every other day. I like the .915 OPS, but 26 K in 77 AB isn't encouraging.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Thanks for putting in all the work on this Seth! It's a great read and fun to debate. With regards to Michael. Does anyone feel that he fell for a reason and not just the injuries. His college statistics and his pro ball stats thus far don't look that impressive and as a first round pick you would think that he would be extrordinary at something. But he just seems to be average at best in most aspects. I think that Carroll's stats from last year with the dodgers is the most we will ever get out of our first round pick. I thought it was a bad take at the time and still fell that way. There were power arms I would rather have taken. But here's to hoping I'm completely wrong!
    I was thinking the same thing. Using a #1 pick for a player with such a low ceiling seems foolish. I wonder if the scouting was flawed or if the Twins were avoiding better players who might want more money.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Koch is 24 years old playing in Low A and didn’t really dominate at E-town. He is a 4 year college player and with his experience we would need to see him against better caliber pitching. At his age he needs to be either dominating Beloit or in High A doing well to be considered a top 50 prospect. At this point Koch is organizational filler whose ceiling is a cup of coffee when is 28. If he gets a mid-season call up to FM, and shows something more than he might get consideration in the 50-40 range.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Using a #1 pick for a player with such a low ceiling seems foolish. I wonder if the scouting was flawed or if the Twins were avoiding better players who might want more money.
    Not that I've had a lot of faith in the scouting department these last few years, but to be fair, Michael in the eyes of many national writers was not a bad move. There were several writers including Keith Law that had Michael ranked higher (pre draft) than where the Twins drafted him. That being said, I, like Seth, can't seem to get very excited about him.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    That's exactly right, and that's what I continue to hope for. The 'draft experts' had him ranked much higher than the 30th spot where the Twins got him. They must have seen something to tell them that he's more than a future utility infielder. From a distance, I don't necessarily see it yet. However, he is quite young for his draft class, did play big time college baseball and succeeded. Obviously need to let him continue to play and hope he improves.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    There are some future MLB players in this part of the list. Not sure what to think about Michael. I wasn't thrilled with the pick when it was made, and so far, well, I'm with Seth, just not that excited by him. Let's hope they figure out what to do with Wimmers' elbow sooner, rather than later. If/when healthy, he's still a legit MLB starting candidate, imo. Boer is the one that I'm bummed on so far. I don't think he'll stay this bad, but I'm bummed on his outcomes so far this year. he and the other recent sandwich and "first round/2nd round" picks at pitcher remind me why I want a pitcher with pick 2....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I'm increasingly leery of the plan for Wimmers. More rehab on an elbow injury for a Twins starter? It's going to really suck if he spends the next 3-4 months rehabbing the injury...and then has to have surgery (Tommy John?) anyways. I hope he's getting second and third opinions.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    The reports I'm hearing from Ft. Myers are that Wimmers' elbow is not improving at all. I'd guess that they'll make a decision in the next month. Obviously I hope not, and hope that the rehab proves to be the right decision.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Koch is 23.5 years old, not 24. Yes, he should be playing in Fort Myers immediately, but when the organization loads in terrible catchers from the top (Butera, Rivera, Towles), one cannot expect proper promotions (Herrmann up one, Rohfing, Pinto up one, Koch up one).

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gibson, Bromberg (back now, thankfully), Stuifbergen, and now Wimmers and Salcedo (and Soliman?). It's like a curse. I fear for Hendriks and Hermsen . . .

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The reports I'm hearing from Ft. Myers are that Wimmers' elbow is not improving at all. I'd guess that they'll make a decision in the next month. Obviously I hope not, and hope that the rehab proves to be the right decision.
    Typical Twins. They'll lose Wimmers thru next summer, maybe a month or so.

Don't draft Gioloto(sp), he'll just wind up having TJ surgery too, given the "Twins way" of rest/rehab.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Gibson, Bromberg (back now, thankfully), Stuifbergen, and now Wimmers and Salcedo (and Soliman?). It's like a curse. I fear for Hendriks and Hermsen . . .
    I just can't help but think that it's just bad luck, right? I mean, I just can't explain it. Bromberg's was totally bad luck. but you're right it's alarming.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I just can't help but think that it's just bad luck, right? I mean, I just can't explain it. Bromberg's was totally bad luck. but you're right it's alarming.

Tootle
    Bashore
    Osterbrock

Among those in the last 4 years also lost to arm surgery and gone now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast