Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Gray got charged with a run

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gray got charged with a run

Guess we better immediately get rid of him rid of him right?

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He now has a 6.30 ERA in May.
    Better cut him loose while we still can....

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    he's been pitching well. Hadn't walked anyone for a month. He had the one bad outing against Milwaukee Brewers (5 ER, 0 IP) that will mess up his ERA. But he has been pretty good.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Guess we better immediately get rid of him rid of him right?
    I assume this is tongue-in-cheek, right?

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I assume this is tongue-in-cheek, right?
    Let's hope so -- his stats are still decent compared with the rest of the relief staff.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Let's hope so -- his stats are still decent compared with the rest of the relief staff.
    Burnett has been solid, outside of 1 or 2 outings Burton has been good. Perkins has been solid and Duensing too for the most part. Swarzak has been an OK long man. Capps has blown one save but has'nt been great...solid not greta which he is'nt. The pen is NOT the problem! You see the last two games when we get solid starts our offense can usually rally and give us a chance.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, this is very Tounge-In-Cheek. Our bullpen has been quite good considering how many times they've had to come in during the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings.

Sure he's fine, but he's kinda pointless to keep around since he's 30 and can't hold a K:BB of 2 and relief depth is the only thing we actually have sitting there in AAA. Rather figure out if Slama can actually get guys out in the majors or get Oliveros or Guerra up if they are ready and hell, Waldrop should be around soon as well. Gray is a placeholder.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Yes, this is very Tounge-In-Cheek. Our bullpen has been quite good considering how many times they've had to come in during the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings.
    I was pretty sure it was, but it doesn't take long reading these boards to see a number of threads advocating a radical overhaul of the bullpen, DFAing half the 'pen and filling it with their favorite minor-leaguer [insert name here], when in reality the bullpen has been the one part of this roster that has worked fairly well and really doesn't need a massive upheavel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah, I think Erock totally just made that point.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We know...

-He is 30 years old.
    -Over his career in the majors (108.1 innings) he has 5.3 K/9, 3.2 BB/9, 1 HR/9, 10.1 H/9
    -He has pitched with 5 organizations in 4 years. Teams with poor records have released him.

The Twins may be the only team in baseball where he is an asset to the bullpen. He would not be an asset to a winning team. At 30, he is more likely to decline than improve. As the 6th, 7th or 8th guy in the pen, he has had little to do with the Twins pathetic record. However, I would rather have that spot filled with a player who can grow into a set up role in the future. I would rather invest the innings into Guerra, Oliveros or Waldrop. I would even rather invest it in a 28 year old Slama.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gray has pitched fine, all things considered, but does anyone really see him as a part of this team's future? I just don't understand why you wouldn't use that bullpen spot to get a good look at someone who may figure into the organization's long-term plans.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It seems disingenuous to replace a guy in the bullpen if the guy in the bullpen is generally pitching well. It feels like the Twins are waiting for an injury or for someone to implode in a few straight games before replacing someone. Obviously some have longer leashes (and bigger contracts) than others. At that point, you've got Slama, Oliveros and Guerra ready.

I just don't know if you want a situation where you bring a guy (or guys) in and tell them that if you pitcher well, you'll get a shot... and then he gets a shot, pitches well, and then gets released.

No question, at some point, Slama will get another chance. I hope it is an extended look.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,288 Times in 519 Posts
    Is he really pitching all that well? Other than Liriano, who's a complete disaster, Gray is the worst member of the pen and has the track record to back it up going forward.

This season is done, he has no future here, give the innings to someone else.

Blog Entries
    That's the point I was making - he may be the worst member of the pen (although that's a subjective statement), but that only shows all the more that the bullpen is not the problem. Don't mess with what's working; concentrate on fixing what's not working (which is pretty much everything else).

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,288 Times in 519 Posts
    The "if everyone else is doing their job it's ok if someone sucks" rationale.

If the upgrade is there, or potentially there, who cares if other areas happen to be worse?

Is the front office incapable of improving multiple areas of the team at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    he may be the worst member of the pen (although that's a subjective statement)
    The stats suggest it's closer to objective.
    Last edited by snepp; 05-29-2012 at 08:12 PM.