Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Gleeman & the Geek Ep 43: Morneau, Moves and Mock Drafts

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 165 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Gleeman & the Geek Ep 43: Morneau, Moves and Mock Drafts

As weak as this draft is supposed to be, is it fair to compare Buxton to past high school hitters taken in the top 3? If he was that talented wouldn't he be the clear cut, easy #1 over all pick, considering the question marks or concerns that come with all of the top pitchers in the draft?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 165 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the quality of guys you can get out of high school as a top 3 pick varies widely. The comparisons to the Uptons aren't being made by me because he's a possible top 3 pick. He's being compared to them because of his skill set and talent level by scouts or journalists like Keith Law.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buxton sounds pretty legit. Defense, arm, speed, patience, all that. The potential is with the power. If it developes, he could be Justin Upton. If it doesn't as much, he'd be like BJ Upton. Either is worth a #1 pick. And, of course, there are the Jeff Jackson's, Willie Ansley's, Paul Coleman's and BJ Garbe's of the world that remind us there is no sure thing. Of course, there are also Ken Griffey, Jr's.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm kind of hoping for Gausman myself, the guy just seems like a horse from what I've read, but will hope for the best from whomever they pick. The development of the player they pick may be more of an issue than the pick itself with the organizations track record lately. Hopefully next years draft has 2 or 3 potential #1 starters as it looks like they'll be in the same spot again.