Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Congratulations! You're GM. Now Do Something!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Matt Capps blew his first save of the season in Sunday's 4-3 loss to the Tigers.

He also took his second loss. Tasked with protecting a 3-2 lead, Capps allowed a leadoff single to Quintin Berry before serving up a one-out, two-run bomb to Miguel Cabrera. A bad afternoon, but not an outing that is going to cost Capps his job. He's the owner of a 4.00 ERA, 1.00 WHIP and 9/1 K/BB

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Rebuilding takes forever, Twins don't have the time. They need to sign 3 or 4 top free agents, fire Gardy and his coaches. gain some repectablity put a good product on the field.
    Everyone needs to be held accountable, Pohlad paid 44M now it's worth 150M Don't say have to cut payroll with the new Target Field. It's starts with him!

Keep Duensing and Swarzak in the bullpen. Please.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's a tough job... Pitching is the way back and we don't really have any. Here are 10 things!!!

#1... Payroll

Don't overspend on average Veteren players... Take the money and save it for a time when the spending of money will provide a chance and take that money that you have saved on players and re-invest that cash into the scouting department. Identify the best Scouting Director and Scouts across the league and pay them a lot more money to entice them to join the Twins. Totally rebuild the scouting department at all levels with the sharpest eyes and best track records. Cover the globe and be competitive with the contracts of young signable prospects. It should be shopping time for the scouting and player development departments. Spend your moeny here and ignore the fans who are complaining about the drop in player payroll because they are going to complain.

#2... Coaching

Make sure that your coaching staff from Majors to rookie ball are the best teachers period. I'm a Gardy fan, He's one of us but I have questions if Gardy is the best guy to handle young players at the upper level. Maybe we have the best teachers right now in baseball. Evaluate it and change it if needed. Be competitive from a salary standpoint. Make it obvious that the best will be compensated to again entice their coming over.

#3 Timeline

Set a reasonable timeline for reasonable return to title contention and shoot for it. Let's say an aggressive plan for 2014. Don't let building for 2013 get in the way of building for the year you have identified. Every contract you sign should be signed with the year 2014 or 2015(whatever year) in mind. If you sign a player for 2013... They are signed because they can help in 2014 or 2015. Or you if sign them to one year contract. You sign them for their potential value and if they can be traded for talent that will help you in 2014 or 2015.

#4... Pitching is the way back and it's our biggest problem by far of many problems. Overload on College Pitching in the draft. The majority of pitchers are not going to work so you have to draft and acquire more arms to provide a better chance of some of them actually filtering through to MLB production. The upper farm need to be re-stocked quickly. So College pitching is necessary because in theory they should be able to get to the upper levels quicker. If you end up over drafting and end up with too many arms. You can trade the excess for position holes that occur. Pitching can always be traded because someone is always looking for Pitching. Make no mistake that this part is going to be hard but it's something that must be done or we will be struggling for awhile. I'd let every expiring pitching contract expire during this off season. Start fresh and re-build with your timeline in mind.

#5... Do not compromise your defense for a slight OPS upgrade. I'm not talking about errors, I'm talking about defenders that make the plays they should make and a bunch of plays that they shouldn't make. Range and speed increase. Yes I know you have to score runs and offense is important but the bottom line is this... Giving your opponent extra outs will kill you and it inflates your pitching metrics and makes it real hard to get a true gauge on the pitching that you desperately need to evaluate to get ready for 2014 or 2015. Some pitchers have a 4 plus ERA because they deserve it and some have a 4 plus ERA because the Left Fielder laid up on a ball that could have been caught with two outs and the next guy rips a 3 run dinger and the next time out the 3B couldn't handle a well placed bunt and which made the lead off walk even worse. No errors committed and a nasty ERA that could have been prevented.

#6... Offense

Build according to the timeline you have set forth. Do not hold back MLB ready talent in the meantime because the position is currently held by a one year rental Vet. Let the kids make their mistakes for awhile.

#7... Leadership

You need hungry players. Players so hungry that they make the ones who are going through motions feel stupid because they are getting outworked day in and day out. That's leadership... It isn't speeches in the locker room or putting an extra 45 pound plate on the weight bar. It's the guy who wants it and cares if the ball drops on the grass and lhe rubs off on the next guy. They have to be a special type of bulldog because they need to have this bulldog attitude while losing games. If you have half assed players that get swallowed up by the reality of game #67 on the Schedule and 15 games out of the division lead. Look to move them.

#8... Let Capp Close until you move him... Don't screw with any value that he has.

#9... Pick up the phone when it rings... Pick up the Phone and call when it doesn't. No one is untouchable. You need pitching. Know your value and don't worry about what your giving up. Instead you should worry about what your getting in return. This will help keep you from selling low ala Delmon Young and JJ Hardy.

#10... READ TWINS DAILY FOR GREAT IDEAS!!!

In order of importance:
    1. Fire Deron Johnson
    2. Fire Joe Vavra - promote Brunansky
    3. Fire Gardenhire - Promote Gene Glynn on a temporary basis until a new manager is hired after the season.
    4. Fire Anderson - Promote Bobby Cuellar
    5. Don't underestimate this one....cut ties with Tom Kelly. His approach to pitching to contact pitchers and slap hitters continues to hang over this franchise like a dark cloud. Just ask David Ortiz.
    6. DFA Butera, Plouffe, Mastroianni, Nishioka, Tosini, Burroughs

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    It's a tough job... Pitching is the way back and we don't really have any. Here are 10 things!!!

#1... Payroll

Don't overspend on average Veteren players... Take the money and save it for a time when the spending of money will provide a chance and take that money that you have saved on players and re-invest that cash into the scouting department. Identify the best Scouting Director and Scouts across the league and pay them a lot more money to entice them to join the Twins. Totally rebuild the scouting department at all levels with the sharpest eyes and best track records. Cover the globe and be competitive with the contracts of young signable prospects. It should be shopping time for the scouting and player development departments. Spend your moeny here and ignore the fans who are complaining about the drop in player payroll because they are going to complain.

#2... Coaching

Make sure that your coaching staff from Majors to rookie ball are the best teachers period. I'm a Gardy fan, He's one of us but I have questions if Gardy is the best guy to handle young players at the upper level. Maybe we have the best teachers right now in baseball. Evaluate it and change it if needed. Be competitive from a salary standpoint. Make it obvious that the best will be compensated to again entice their coming over.

#3 Timeline

Set a reasonable timeline for reasonable return to title contention and shoot for it. Let's say an aggressive plan for 2014. Don't let building for 2013 get in the way of building for the year you have identified. Every contract you sign should be signed with the year 2014 or 2015(whatever year) in mind. If you sign a player for 2013... They are signed because they can help in 2014 or 2015. Or you if sign them to one year contract. You sign them for their potential value and if they can be traded for talent that will help you in 2014 or 2015.

#4... Pitching is the way back and it's our biggest problem by far of many problems. Overload on College Pitching in the draft. The majority of pitchers are not going to work so you have to draft and acquire more arms to provide a better chance of some of them actually filtering through to MLB production. The upper farm need to be re-stocked quickly. So College pitching is necessary because in theory they should be able to get to the upper levels quicker. If you end up over drafting and end up with too many arms. You can trade the excess for position holes that occur. Pitching can always be traded because someone is always looking for Pitching. Make no mistake that this part is going to be hard but it's something that must be done or we will be struggling for awhile. I'd let every expiring pitching contract expire during this off season. Start fresh and re-build with your timeline in mind.

#5... Do not compromise your defense for a slight OPS upgrade. I'm not talking about errors, I'm talking about defenders that make the plays they should make and a bunch of plays that they shouldn't make. Range and speed increase. Yes I know you have to score runs and offense is important but the bottom line is this... Giving your opponent extra outs will kill you and it inflates your pitching metrics and makes it real hard to get a true gauge on the pitching that you desperately need to evaluate to get ready for 2014 or 2015. Some pitchers have a 4 plus ERA because they deserve it and some have a 4 plus ERA because the Left Fielder laid up on a ball that could have been caught with two outs and the next guy rips a 3 run dinger and the next time out the 3B couldn't handle a well placed bunt and which made the lead off walk even worse. No errors committed and a nasty ERA that could have been prevented.

#6... Offense

Build according to the timeline you have set forth. Do not hold back MLB ready talent in the meantime because the position is currently held by a one year rental Vet. Let the kids make their mistakes for awhile.

#7... Leadership

You need hungry players. Players so hungry that they make the ones who are going through motions feel stupid because they are getting outworked day in and day out. That's leadership... It isn't speeches in the locker room or putting an extra 45 pound plate on the weight bar. It's the guy who wants it and cares if the ball drops on the grass and lhe rubs off on the next guy. They have to be a special type of bulldog because they need to have this bulldog attitude while losing games. If you have half assed players that get swallowed up by the reality of game #67 on the Schedule and 15 games out of the division lead. Look to move them.

#8... Let Capp Close until you move him... Don't screw with any value that he has.

#9... Pick up the phone when it rings... Pick up the Phone and call when it doesn't. No one is untouchable. You need pitching. Know your value and don't worry about what your giving up. Instead you should worry about what your getting in return. This will help keep you from selling low ala Delmon Young and JJ Hardy.

#10... READ TWINS DAILY FOR GREAT IDEAS!!!
    I like a lot of the posts to this thread, but think that Riverbrian's is the best. I wish that he could actually become the GM.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reasonable piece by Riverbrian. I think this mess will take two full years to pull out of, for sure. Actually, I am certain that the Twins have improved in some areas this year--defense, offense, bullpen and health--but the total failure of the starting rotation has masked the improvement to the point that their record isn't better. Also, some of the improvements are coming from players who won't be around for long--Doumit, Carroll, and perhaps a couple of bullpen arms--so it is questionable that the improvements will be carried forward.

The starting pitching has to be redone. Blackburn could be a fifth guy, but hasn't even shown that much this year. Nobody else is likely to be back. I guess I would try Duensing in the rotation again. If they can sign a guaranteed above average starter, they certainly should, even if they overpay a bit.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 05-28-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsGuy55422 View Post
    Did I miss something? Where is the open spot on the 25-man roster? If Manship got promoted and Komatsu got DFA'd, then we're at 25.
    There is one open spot after I DFA'd Gray.

EDIT: I didn't catch the other guy who corrected it. Never mind.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 05-28-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Why would you add Slama, Burroughs and Florimon to the 40 man roster without calling them up?
    The only reason I did so was to show they were next in line for a call up. Options aren't an issue with any of them, so I don't see a problem.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,242 Times in 495 Posts
    Options are irrelevant, there's no reason to put a player on the 40 if they aren't immediately getting placed on the active roster.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I like a lot of the posts to this thread, but think that Riverbrian's is the best. I wish that he could actually become the GM.
    lol... Me to... The Twins organization are not returning my calls. Can you believe that? If I did get the job... I'm gonna need a secretary who can correct my spelling and punctuation.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think a drastic overhaul is necessary. Have a sit down at the end of the year and get everyone on board with the direction the team needs to go. I believe Pavano & Liriano are off the books after this season, Baker and Capps are team options, Blackburn is owed $5.5M and Perkins $2.5M. The rest of the staff are still arbitration or pre-arb eligible. Mauer, Morneau, Willingham, Span, Carroll & Nishioka are under contract, Doumit is a free agent and the rest are arbitration or pre-arb eligible. Looking at the list of free agents, I wouldn't think alot of them would want to come here, wanting instead to play for a "contender". However, if the team makes realistic offers to Greinke, Jackson, Hamels, Sanchez, and/or Dempster to show that they are serious about turning things around.... Hey it worked for the Marlins. Granted MSP is no South Beach, but why not throw some money out there and see who wants it.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The first and most important thing I would do is remove my bookmark for this page from my favorites list and stop reading it - lest I actually be influenced by what I was reading.

Don't get me wrong - I love Monday-morning quarterbacking, and I find the discussions immensely interesting, and discussing this stuff is part of being a true fan, but I also have no doubt that the people actually running the team know far more about this than I do, and my guess is that applies to about 90%+ of the other posters as well. No offense intended to anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    The first and most important thing I would do is remove my bookmark for this page from my favorites list and stop reading it - lest I actually be influenced by what I was reading.

Don't get me wrong - I love Monday-morning quarterbacking, and I find the discussions immensely interesting, and discussing this stuff is part of being a true fan, but I also have no doubt that the people actually running the team know far more about this than I do, and my guess is that applies to about 90%+ of the other posters as well. No offense intended to anyone!

That's what this is all about. Maybe, just maybe, the people running this team SON'T know what it is all about. Hell, wasn't it just two years ago that we were told to come to games because of TARGET FIELD...not "Get to Know 'em" or good old baseball, but come to TARGET FIELD. Reminds me of The Saints wanting us to come and enjoy sitting and having fun and eating and drinking and -- oh -- there is a ballgame going on but wait...."Train!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12