Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Promote Jeff Manship

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Promote Jeff Manship

Komatsu is more like what they already have lots of in the system...or it means the Twins are drafting an outfielder instead of a pitcher. I expect they might be able to keep him, or maybe ship Capps to the Nats.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let him go. With the DFA, he is essentially a C level prospect in the Washington organization. If teh Twins are going to trade for C level prospects, shouldn't we be looking at other positions?

I do NOT understand the Twins moves...no problem with recalling Manship--that was coming. Why carry 13 pitchers?? Most importantly why put Liriano back in the rotation--unless this is last shot and if he screws up again he goes back to pen when Blackburn comes back from rehab...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With a rotation of Walters, Diamond, De Vries, Liriano and Pavano, I think 13 pitchers makes sense. They probably need two long relievers, and Swarzak likely won't be available for a few days.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow. I have no problem with the 13 pitchers, but I'm surprised they would just throw Komatsu away. I haven't really been impressed with him, but it seems like there were better moves to make. Would Mastroianni have had to been put on waivers? Is he out of options?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mastroianni started the year on the 40-man, at New Britain, so his option for the year was already used - he can be moved back and forth as desired without consequence until next year.

I wasn't sure why they took Komatsu either; it's not as if they're short on prospects in the OF...

Until Twins starters can start consistently getting through 5 innings, carrying 13 pitchers is pretty much a no-brainer. I'm not going to lose any sleep over their decision to let Komatsu go.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    With a rotation of Walters, Diamond, De Vries, Liriano and Pavano, I think 13 pitchers makes sense. They probably need two long relievers, and Swarzak likely won't be available for a few days.

Agree! Manship could take Devries spot if he struggles again or they will just wait until Blackie gets back and send down Cole....I don't think any of us thought DeVries was more then a 1 or 3 start guy anyway. Either way Manship is waiting in the wings but can be used as a 6th starter/long relief. As for Komatsu....who really cares, he and Mastro are bascically the same type player. This teams problem is starting pitching not 5th OF'ers

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Komatsu is certainly worth keeping around in favor of Mastroianni even if Mastro was out of options, I think. So this is just another weird move.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a big head scratcher. Komatsu has more value than Mastroianni and has been performing better. Although if the Twins lose Komatsu, I doubt it will haunt them at all. There are two reasons why the Twins may have opted for Mastro instead. The first could be that they want the big league club to have another utility man. Darin is a little faster than Komatsu and has the advantage in the field. The other is Mastroianni's ability to play 2B and OF, whereas Komatsu is solely an outfielder.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What a weak starting staff--probably in the bottom 2 or 3 in all of the major leagues. This draft is so important. Watching Anderson on the sidelines--he is under so much pressure with this staff. Only so much he can do.
    Like Keith Law stated(yesterday's tribune),"I think they focus too much on polish". Until they change focus nothing will change. Ever listen to TK and his philosophy on hitting the spots, etc. Power pitchers usually bust it in there and let the natural movement take over. This attitude is too pervasive(control pitching) in the minors. Not enough hard throwers--as we all know. People on this site have been talking about this for a long time.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Not only that but Komatsu is a rule 5 pick this winter so if he clears waivers he has to be offered back to the nationals (for $25k) or we would have to work out a trade in order to keep him.

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With 38 spots on the 40-man, what are the chances Slama gets one of those spots? Who would potentially get the second spot? Oliveros? Burroughs?

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    I am sure they will leave the spots open until they need to put someone on the 25.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who gets the $25K if the Nats take Komatsu back? The Cardinals paid $50K to get him, right? Did $50K pass from the Twins to Cards when they claimed him on waivers? I don't recall, but seems like they must have; otherwise, it's pretty sweet to just scoop up a guy and then a few weeks later say "never mind, oh, and give us $25K".

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    The waiver fee in the old CBA was $20000. I don't know if it changed, but the net will not be more than $5000.