Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Twins Promote Jeff Manship

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 369 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Promote Jeff Manship

Twins Daily tonight learned that the Twins have decided to promote right-handed pitcher Jeff Manship from AAA Rochester. He will be pitching out of the bullpen for the Twins.

Manship was scheduled to start on Sunday afternoon in Gwinnett (Georgia) against the Braves affiliate, but instead he will be hopping on an airplane to join the Twins.

Overall this season, Manship is 4-1 with a 3.08 ERA for the Red Wings. He pitched eight times out of the bullpen and made four starts. As a reliever, he threw 18 innings. He walked eight and struck out 18. In his four starts, he has thrown 20 innings and given up 16 hits, seven walks and struck out ten.

At this time, we do not know the subsequent roster move. In recent days, there have been hints that Alex Burnett could be put on the Disabled List due to elbow discomfort. It is also possible, based on the question marks throughout the Twins starting rotation, that the team could decide to go with 13 pitchers again, as they did earlier in the season. Likewise, we do not know if the Red Wings will be able to add a pitcher, although LHP Aaron Thompson's suspension comes to an end in the next two days.

Jeff Manship 2.jpg

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Man, Gene Glynn actually has worse pitching problems than Gardy does - all of his best starters have been taken, with only 1 (Hendriks) returned in exchange, and now he loses his next day's starter for - we don't know who yet! And all when they had started to win a few ballgames. I wonder if they're going to promote a starter from New Britain (Hermsen? Hirschfield?) to help pick up the slack.

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully Manship can be productive and help this pitching staff out. It will be interesting to see what roster move they make.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I'm a fan of Manship and I think the Twins would be better off adding him to the rotation than Liriano.

No word on who he's replacing? I guess either Burnett goes on the DL or the Twins demote one of their redundant outfielders.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    My guess is that Manship was told tonight, and whoever the subsequent person affected will be may be told in the morning... unless it is a DL thing.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if the Twins hand got forced on this with the schedule. With DeVries on Tuesday and Liriano on Wednesday, there is the potential for something ugly happening. With Manship due to make a start on Sunday, maybe they decided they needed to act now, before his arm became useless for 3-4 days.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    That is likely. As I put in the other forum (13 pitchers?), with the question marks with all five Twins starters in the rotation right now, it'll be important to have another arm that can eat some innings since Swarzak likely won't be ready to throw again for another day or two.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Manship, got to about his last chance to get it right.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't recall ever seeing an organization as bankrupt in the pitching department. I hope Manship does well... I hope they ALL do well. It's just that I'm getting a bit tired of hoping without seeing much return for that hope.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing an organization as bankrupt in the pitching department. I hope Manship does well... I hope they ALL do well. It's just that I'm getting a bit tired of hoping without seeing much return for that hope.
    Amen. I couldn't agree more.