Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Liriano as closer?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

Liriano as closer?

Here's a wild, out-of-the box idea.

Liriano seems to have good stuff the first 1-2 innings he pitches. Then the wheels come off.

So how 'bout making him a closer?

Just a thought.

Any other year. But totally doubt that the Twins will risk arbitration with him, or he'll re-sign with the Twins beyond this season. He has no worth as a possible closer yet...unless he attitudes that way himself.......but anyone who trades for him will have to hope to sign him to something reasonable, which is out of the question since they would have to offer him arbitration at an outrageous price for his current abilities. The only way he stays a Twin is if the Twins offer him arbitration for $8 or so million and he jsut is not worth that gamble...again.

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that this could pay off if he succeeded as a closer and could be traded before the trade deadline.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    We got Capps, he is plenty good.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    It's pretty clear that Liriano is not part of this team's future. He's not helping his trade value any by being a mop-up reliever, so I think it makes some sense to have him try and close a few games. If he succeeds, suddenly he's a more tradeable asset. If he fails, you haven't really lost anything.

That being said, the Twins won't do it because they believe they still have a shot, or they want to make fans believe they still have a shot.

I hate to sound skittish, but I don't trust him to throw a strike with the game on the line.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Ummmmm.... No.

I wanted this tried in past years. I always thought that Liriano had one or two inning stuff. He would make a great closer or lefty situational guy. Twins have nothing to lose by trying this and yes, maybe it will help his trade value.

It's just been reported that he's been moved back to the rotation and will start Wednesday. Unbelievable.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Smartest thing the Twins did all season. Move him back to the rotation, hope he catches lightning in a bottle, makes a few good starts in a row and trade him.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Trade, trade trade, you just can't trade people. 1st you have to have someone to trade with.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Trade, trade trade, you just can't trade people. 1st you have to have someone to trade with.
    Let's just pray he can string a few good starts together and that somewhere, someone in a front office is a little too far off their rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    Let's just pray he can string a few good starts together and that somewhere, someone in a front office is a little too far off their rocker.
    This has to be the team's mindset. He has virtually zero value as a reliever, so the only hope the team has of moving him is if he shows glimpses of being a competent starter again. It's not likely to happen, but it's worth a try with this being a lost season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Looks like Liriano is going to be a starter again.

Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    I have felt the same in years past, but it's to late for that this year. Hopefully he can get some good starts and the Twins can trade him for something other than a box of forks

Why move Liriano back to rotation unless this is last shot and he goes back to pen when Blackburn comes off rehab. I think closer shot would be better. As a starter Liriano had potential years ago--now not much. NO GM will give us even a decent prospect for him in a trade--maybe another washed up starter in the Marquis, Ramon Ortiz, Sir Sidney tradition....

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moving Liriano back to the rotation seems like a mistake. There is now way a couple of starts suddenly make other teams reevaluate who he is. Personally, I think performing as a solid reliever would garner as much interest in him as anything.

That said, let's face it, they're out of arms that can be starters. At this point, there isn't a great move. Swarzak? Duensing? Now maybe Manship? They're all stretched, and the Twins have more reason to protect them to protect Liriano any more.

In that way, this is a preview of things to come. I am really not looking forward to reading the box scores in 2013.