Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Return of 13 Pitchers??

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Return of 13 Pitchers??

No one wants a 13 man pitching staff. The Twins did that earlier in the year out of necessity. It's not like the team does a lot of pinch hitting, and frankly, with the state of the team's starting staff, I think it makes a lot of sense to do again right now.

Here are the Twins starters this coming week:

Sunday - PJ Walters
    Monday - Scott Diamond
    Tuesday - Cole De Vries (Nick Blackburn making first of probably two rehab starts)
    Wednesday - Francisco Liriano
    Thursday - Day Off
    Friday - Carl Pavano

(Rinse and Repeat)

Swarzak will be able to work long relief against by Tuesday or Wednesday, but how much confidence should we have in this group.

Right now the Twins bench consists of Ryan Doumit (or Drew Butera), Erik Komatsu, Darin Mastroianni, and Trevor Plouffe (or Ben Revere). Mastroianni and Komatsu don't play much. Komatsu should be kept around because he's a Rule 5 guy, but Mastroianni could be sent down to Rochester to bring up a reliever. Because there are 39 on the 40 man roster, the call-up could be anyone. It would be good to get someone who could eat a few innings. Jeff Manship is scheduled to start for the Red Wings on Sunday. Anthony Slama could come up but he's a one-inning guy. Deolis Guerra has thrown as many as 3 innings.

Thoughts?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that Revere and Komatsu are interchangable (Mastoianni somewhat, but he hits right-handed.) Komatsu has not shown much and the Twins can find a replacement level OF for their 2013 bench any place. So it makes zero sense to keep him; I still have no idea why they claimed him anyways... So if someone should go, that should be Komatsu, with Valencia coming back (remember him?)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    What a mess. I think at this point, we should have 5 starters, 5 guys in long relief and then Perkins and Capps. Not enough pitching? how about 10 long relief guys?

Can I be the 13th pitcher?

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Seriously, what does Slama have to do to get a legit chance? I think Guerra could use more time, and Manship seems like a Swarzak spot start or long reliever to me.

rather find a pitching coach who knows how to run a 12 man pitching staff correctly.
    Mastoiani will be the guy goin down if this happens. Sooner or later, they need to look at Deolis Guerra for next yr.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, Mastroianni is probably on the block - he got promoted too fast anyway.

No good choices here, but I say go with Manship - he's your best bet for long relief. We don't need a 1-2 innings guy - we need someone who can eat up 3-4. Manship is stretched out and has decent (if not exciting) numbers this year.

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I think that Revere and Komatsu are interchangable (Mastoianni somewhat, but he hits right-handed.) Komatsu has not shown much and the Twins can find a replacement level OF for their 2013 bench any place. So it makes zero sense to keep him; I still have no idea why they claimed him anyways... So if someone should go, that should be Komatsu, with Valencia coming back (remember him?)
    I agree. I never saw the point in claiming Komatsu. He certainly has more potential than Clete Thomas but at the same time he doesn't bring much to the table right now and your hands are tied as far as being able to send him down.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    13 pitchers why not? No use blowing out any arms. Swarzak might be on the way down too, he sure can't start.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsGuy55422 View Post
    I agree. I never saw the point in claiming Komatsu. He certainly has more potential than Clete Thomas but at the same time he doesn't bring much to the table right now and your hands are tied as far as being able to send him down.
    The point of a Rule 5 pick is not 'right now,' it's future. What I see in Komatsu... stocky guy with a good plate approach and disclipline. He's got good speed and can be used now as a pinch runner. I like his swing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am surprised Komatsu was DFA'd. Washington will take him back. He is younger than Mastroianni and has better numbers in the minors. His numbers are not good enough to send someone to Wasington in order to keep him. If the Twins have a strength in the minors it is outfield depth.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Komatsu and Mastroianni were nearly completely redundant. Moving one of them was the right way to go. So was going to a 13-man pitching staff. When Perkins is being asked to throw garbage innings in the 6th, then the bullpen is too damn short.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Komatsu and Mastroianni were nearly completely redundant. Moving one of them was the right way to go. So was going to a 13-man pitching staff. When Perkins is being asked to throw garbage innings in the 6th, then the bullpen is too damn short.

I agree Komatsu and Mastro are the same player basically but someone brought up a good point when Valecia comes back(and you know he will at some point) who gets sent down??? Do we go back to 12 pitchers or if the staff is still in shambles which is likely then what??