Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Wolfson: Twins not likely to move Morneau (via Jayson Stark)

  1. #1
    Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Posts
    996
    Like
    1
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    201

    Wolfson: Twins not likely to move Morneau (via Jayson Stark)

    5 Eyewitness New's jack-of-all-trades Darren Wolfson relayed a note today on Twitter from ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. The Twins say they are not interested in trading Justin Morneau:

    Wolfson.jpg
    Given his injury history, age and remaining contract (2014, $14 million), I have to agree with Wolfson, it behooves the Twins to consider their options if teams come calling. After all, there are only so many pitchers you can buy on the free agent market. The Rangers were discussed as a potential suitor by Jim Bowden. The Cardinals and Blue Jays could also use a first baseman. According to MinorLeagueBall.com, Blue Jays (1), Rangers (3) and Cardinals (5) have farm systems that are highly thought of so it is possible that the Twins may be able to restock their depleted pitching with a trade of Morneau.

    Your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,615
    Like
    37
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Offer Morneau for Olt and Perez, if the Rangers refuse (which they prob would) then hold onto him the rest of the year and re-evaluate next season.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,171
    Like
    98
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Unless the Twins are blown away, don't move him. We don't have anyone ready to step in and take over first. And it would be a PR disaster to move him for the something similar to the Young or Hardy deals. If you can an AJ Pierzski(sp) like deal for him, maybe. It's also good that the Twins are signaling it would be hard to move Morneau (but not impossible). If a team really wants him, they know it'll be expensive.

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,609
    Like
    512
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    They won't win anything this year, and if they wont' trade valuable pieces for the future, they won't next either. Why would anyone be untouchable at this point?
    Lighten up Francis....

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Posts
    1,420
    Like
    63
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    34
    Even though it makes sense to deal Morneau. It would be somewhat of a bumber. If it is to happen, you have to get a very strong return for him. PR wise, I do believe it would piss off most of the Twins fanbase. Me personally, I'd like to see Morneau rebound and return to his 30HR, .280+ BA and give some excitement to the fanbase. The pitching part of the equation is going to take awhile to get back on track, but in the 3-4 years that will probably take - it is nice to have some some home town heroes to root for, follow and make watching a losing baseball team worth watching. I hope Morneau rebounds, remains a Twin and is part of our next winning ball club.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,615
    Like
    37
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    They won't win anything this year, and if they wont' trade valuable pieces for the future, they won't next either. Why would anyone be untouchable at this point?
    I don't think they have said anyone is untouchable at this point, they just said they aren't looking to trade Morneau actively at this point. The closest thing this team has to untouchable is Sano, and even he would be moved in a heartbeat for certain packages.

    Besides the Twins very well could get a better package next year for Morneau then this year anyways.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,784
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    No one is going to take him this year for anything of great value. He gets paid $14 million next year.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,167
    Like
    19
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    About time the Twins play this game the right way! The more "untouchable" Morneau appears, the more other teams are going to have to overpay to get him. I want Justin around until he retires but putting sentimentality aside, the Twins need to play this the same way the Padres did with Adrian Gonzolaz and the Marlins did with Miguel Cabrera.

    Seriously, telling Jayson Stark, one of THE biggest national names this bit of information is the best way to strengthen demand. Now to get him, another team is going to have to come hard for him if they want him, instead of being able to act only lukewarm to trading for Morneau. This is the opposite way the Santana deal went down, where the Twins were actively shopping him which enabled the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets all to act like they only had moderate interest therefore not having to give the top package.

    Terry Ryan is taking a page out of Rick Spielman's playbook when let he lied to the national media that the Vikings did not have Ryan Kalil on the top of their draft board. The local guys knew that was BS but it didn't stop ESPN from running with it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,784
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    About time the Twins play this game the right way! The more "untouchable" Morneau appears, the more other teams are going to have to overpay to get him. I want Justin around until he retires but putting sentimentality aside, the Twins need to play this the same way the Padres did with Adrian Gonzolaz and the Marlins did with Miguel Cabrera.

    Seriously, telling Jayson Stark, one of THE biggest national names this bit of information is the best way to strengthen demand. Now to get him, another team is going to have to come hard for him if they want him, instead of being able to act only lukewarm to trading for Morneau. This is the opposite way the Santana deal went down, where the Twins were actively shopping him which enabled the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets all to act like they only had moderate interest therefore not having to give the top package.

    Terry Ryan is taking a page out of Rick Spielman's playbook when let he lied to the national media that the Vikings did not have Ryan Kalil on the top of their draft board. The local guys knew that was BS but it didn't stop ESPN from running with it.
    Probably not. I assume they want to keep him around at least into next year and furthermore, TR probably is aware that the market is not going to be very good for someone getting paid $14 million NEXT YEAR, who is likely on the DL every other month, who is a mess every September, and who is a concussion away from retirement.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    If they weren't even willing to trade Cuddyer last year, why would they be willing to trade Morneau? In this case, I like the loyalty the Twins have for their players. He means more to the Twins than he does to any other team no matter what they would (likely) offer.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    They won't win anything this year, and if they wont' trade valuable pieces for the future, they won't next either. Why would anyone be untouchable at this point?
    No where in the article says that Morneau is untouchable. Since when does "not likely" mean 100% no? I'm pretty sure it's implied that they won't accept trades for him unless they are blown away, as they should.

  12. #12
    Member Single-A
    Posts
    87
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Most people on this board are real baseball fans and like this type of discussion. However, if you are upper management, you still need to maintain a fan base. So you need a core of players to be competitive. Therefore, you need Morneau. I have been very critical of ownership in stripping this team of its core players the last few years. And if Morneau stays healthy(when traded) then you are really in trouble. When the state gave the team a new stadium the Pohlads should feel some responsibilty of fielding a competitive team. You would think!

  13. #13
    Justin would have to bring a big return to justify trading him. Don't know that he could draw that right now ... if he gets hot & stays there, then who knows?

    Problem is we're so deficient in so many areas - - - -

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,791
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    If there are any takers who are willing to pay most of the money and give back a couple of good pieces, this is a no-brainer trade for the Twins. The Twins will not contend until his contract is up and will not resign him.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  15. #15
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,967
    Like
    1,034
    Liked 1,249 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    No one is going to take him this year for anything of great value. He gets paid $14 million next year.
    The $14M salary keeps coming up. It doesn't rank even close to the top 25 in baseball. Almost every team has someone like this; for many teams it's no dealbreaker at all to add someone. Sure, you think twice about taking on the salary, but if he's the right guy for your needs, half the teams in baseball will make room for him. It's not like Vernon Wells's contract.

    Honestly, sometimes I feel like these are the Thief River Falls Twins. "We paid our $14 million. Where's our damn pennant?"

  16. #16
    Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Posts
    363
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    If he stays healthy and productive I think this winter or next season would be the time to trade him, probably get more value if they wait. It's a risk I know but doubt anyone would want him right now given his injuries and salary. Teams would have to see mre then just a couple good weeks/months.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    5,308
    Like
    1,399
    Liked 1,063 Times in 476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    The $14M salary keeps coming up. It doesn't rank even close to the top 25 in baseball. Almost every team has someone like this; for many teams it's no dealbreaker at all to add someone. Sure, you think twice about taking on the salary, but if he's the right guy for your needs, half the teams in baseball will make room for him. It's not like Vernon Wells's contract.

    Honestly, sometimes I feel like these are the Thief River Falls Twins. "We paid our $14 million. Where's our damn pennant?"
    Precisely. There ARE teams out there who put winning ahead of profit. IMO, were Morneau to stay healthy and productive into July, the fact he'd be on your team in 2013 at a reasonable price would make him MORE attractive, not less. We're talking about someone two years removed from being one of the better middle of the order bats in the game, and you would give up more to have him for a year and a half instead of just a half year.

    Side note: I often see some version of "the more the Twins pretend they're not trading Player X, the more they'll get for him.". Unless you think all GMs are morons, this is preposterous. Teams will offer what they think they can afford, regardless.

    None of which, BTW, makes me think the Twins will deal Morneau. They have the money, and if he proves healthy, can entertain signing him to an extension. Plus I don't think anyone associated with the Twins is ready to admit to themselves or the fans that the situation is so bad you trade a Morneau.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,791
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    None of which, BTW, makes me think the Twins will deal Morneau. They have the money, and if he proves healthy, can entertain signing him to an extension. Plus I don't think anyone associated with the Twins is ready to admit to themselves or the fans that the situation is so bad you trade a Morneau.
    Not with Sano likely being the 1B of the future as soon as 2014/5
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  19. #19
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,635
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    If they weren't even willing to trade Cuddyer last year, why would they be willing to trade Morneau? In this case, I like the loyalty the Twins have for their players. He means more to the Twins than he does to any other team no matter what they would (likely) offer.
    I agree with this statement, to a point. But Morneau - and Cuddy before him - is just a pawn in a much bigger game. His career isn't over when his contract expires, so if the Twins aren't able to cash him in for something and he walks, they've made a very questionable "business" move (again). Between now and next July, I would really like to hope that Morneau's "chip value" to the team is more than just a draft pick.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Posts
    1,420
    Like
    63
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Not with Sano likely being the 1B of the future as soon as 2014/5
    Thrylos, nice job on your draft analysis and blogs. They are really informative and a nice read. On this topic (Sano) you are a murderer of hope and firing the starting gun way too soon. Give him a few years to prove he can't be a third baseman. I know you have seen him play and you judge him on your personal analysis and gut feeling. He's 2-4 years out from being with the Twins. Wait another year before you declare he is 6 feet under as a third baseman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.