Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Your Suggested Rule Changes

Post Your Suggested Rule Changes

There's got to be something you would change in the rules of baseball so let's list them. I'll start.

I'd like to see a limit on the number of times a pitcher can throw over to first base to hold a baserunner from stealing. I was at a Twins game last month and the pitcher threw over to first base 9 times during one guy's at-bat. If a pitcher throws over to first base more than five times during the same at-bat he can no longer throw over there again or else the baserunner is automatically awarded 2nd base. Let's say the pitcher has thrown over there 4 times. If he throws over there the 5th time and the runner returns to 1st base safely, the umpire calls time and awards the runner 2nd base. If during the throw over the runner vacates the base the play is live and the runner is in peril of being put out.

I'd also like to see the 25 seconds between pitch rule enforced.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1) Expand instant replay - some kind of system similar to the NFL where the manager gets a set number of challenges per game on safe/out and fair/foul calls while certain calls, like home runs, are subject to automatic review.

2) Outlaw takeout slides and home plate collisions - these are non-baseball plays that create huge injury risks and add nothing to the game.

There are a few things I would change that aren't rules per se, but changes I would like to see nonetheless. The first would be to allow the official scorer to decide who the winning and losing pitchers are for each game. It just doesn't seem right that a starter could pitch 8 scoreless innings, the closer comes in and gives up the lead and if his team scores in the next inning, he gets the win.

Another one is if a fielder madly misplays a ball, it should still be considered an error even if he didn't touch it. The batter shouldn't be awarded a hit if a popup lands in between 3 fielders in front of home plate.

I realize these aren't exactly rule changes and would have no impact on the actual game, they are still things that should be changed.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    Eliminate the rule that using your DH as a defensive replacement forfeits the DH.

Not that I disagree with the rule, I'm just sick of Gardy tossing and turning over it.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1) It rarely happens that a pitcher throws over to first 9 times, and the occasion that you're talking about led to the Twins scoring several runs.
    2) I wouldn't have a problem with them enforcing the 25 seconds between pitches rule either.
    3) I wouldn't have a problem with having a LITTLE more instant replay, but if we add too much to the replay rules, it will slow the game down even more.
    4) Takeout slides are frowned upon; just yesterday the Twins got a DP called because A.J. did a takeout slide on Dozier even though they only got one out, and home plate collisions are just part of the game.

On any team that has a player with the last name "Butera," such team shall only be allowed to have that particular Butera play in a baseball game one (1) time per week.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Trades in the draft, it's so dumb that we are the only sport that can't trade picks. If someone covets certain players or is trying to rebuild then they should be able to do what they can to get what they want. It usually works out for both sides. Say we draft Buxton with our number 2 pick but we still want a college starter that can come in and help, that may not be there at 32 so we trade 32 and 42 to a team who is not impressed with the talent at the top to get another top 15 pick. It works out on both sides.

Regarding to the draft, I hate that draft position rewards losing. There should be some trick there. Like, if you don't win 8 (or 7, or 9) games in September, you lose your draft position. Or something of that sort, so teams have something to play for until the end of the season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only rule change that I would like would be that teams could trade draft picks.

Award two bases for an intentional walk - I've seen that written a few times in other places, and I like the idea as a way to encourage the players/managers to pitch to guys in key situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Award two bases for an intentional walk - I've seen that written a few times in other places, and I like the idea as a way to encourage the players/managers to pitch to guys in key situations.
    I'll go a different direction--if a team wants to intentionally walk a batter have the catcher call time and inform the umpire, "we're intentionally walking this guy", ala high school rules. Let's speed up the game.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    I'd add a timeout rule. Managers stay in the dugout unless they call a timeout. If they want to talk to a pitcher or argue a call, they need to call a timeout to go on the field. The only exception is for injuries. If they want to make a pitching change, they walk out to tell the home plate umpire and then go back to the dugout. If the new pitcher takes too long to get to the mound, his team gets charged with a timeout. That should keep things moving quite a bit.

I'd also set a 25 man active roster for September games. A team can carry 40 guys if they want, but they name their 25 active players before each game. It's not often that it becomes a problem, but a team with no limits can make a ton of extra moves that don't make the baseball any better.

This isn't a specific new rule, but I'd give some teeth to keeping batter in the batters box and the pitcher throwing quickly.

Trading draft picks is fine, but the bonus limitations on signing players and crapshoot nature of any signing make it a not very valuable endeavour.

I've always wondered about batters being able to steal first base....if a runner tries to steal second, or there is a wild pitch, etc, the batter can try to steal first.

Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    I'll go a different direction--if a team wants to intentionally walk a batter have the catcher call time and inform the umpire, "we're intentionally walking this guy", ala high school rules. Let's speed up the game.
    I'm in favor of combining the two. Or, at least, you don't have to throw 4 wide ones if the bases are empty. If there's a guy on, the pitcher should still have to account for the runner that could potentially advance on one of those 4 pitches.

Liked 1,067 Times in 477 Posts
    Put a 5th umpire in a booth with access to all television feeds. That's how you implement instant replay. In most cases we at home know whether a call was blown within a few seconds, almost always before play resumes. This umpire follows the game and lets the crew chief know if he's reviewing a call. Calls that are reversed result in umpires best judgement on placing runners, etc, like they currently do with fan interference for example.

More correct calls, little impact on the flow of the game. Managers can still come on the field to argue rules, but cannot argue judgement calls, just like they can't argue balls and strikes.

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rules? Lets see:

- A balk works the same way it works now (i.e. runners on base move up one base) but also as a HBP (i.e. batter goes on first.)
    - A home plate umpire who does not get 90% of the ball-strikes called correctly (per Pitch F/X) is suspended for a series the first time, two series the next, half a season the third and forever the last.
    - Established a 5th umpire on a booth who can review every out and hit by instant replay an have the ability to over-rule what is called on the field (this will not take any more time it takes now, since there is replay going on anyways. Crew chief wears a headphone and is told on the spot of the over-rulling)
    - If a manager gets out of the dugout to argue a call, it counts as a mound visit. If the argument is longer than the mound visit allowd time (30 seconds) the pitcher on the mound has to be replaced. Same with the second visit in an inning. (would be obsolete by instand replay, but...)
    - Umpires who touch managers/players/coaches etc are suspended the same way players/managers/coaches who touch umpires are.
    - A throw to an occupied base counts the same as a pitch out (i.e. a ball)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I realize this is a touchy subject, but you asked, so: Standardize whether or not the DH is used. My personal preference is to get rid of it, but I understand the practical difficulty in that, so I'll accept everybody using it - just everybody use the same rules. I know some like the diversity between the leagues and the effect it has on interleague play and world series, but I'm not sold on that.

I'm also ready, especially if my above proposal is rejected, to scrap interleague play - keep it in the leagues, play a balanced or semi-balanced schedule, and only have the leagues meet in the Series.

OK, OK, I'll admit, I'm a traditionalist. I'm not big on the wild card thing either.

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Rules? Lets see:

- A balk works the same way it works now (i.e. runners on base move up one base) but also as a HBP (i.e. batter goes on first.)
    Why? A balk is almost always an accident. A balk is deceiving the runner. Why should the batter get rewarded?

- A home plate umpire who does not get 90% of the ball-strikes called correctly (per Pitch F/X) is suspended for a series the first time, two series the next, half a season the third and forever the last.
    Do you know umpire scores via F/X? I admit I don't, but I'll guess that no one gets less than 90% correct.

- If a manager gets out of the dugout to argue a call, it counts as a mound visit. If the argument is longer than the mound visit allowd time (30 seconds) the pitcher on the mound has to be replaced. Same with the second visit in an inning. (would be obsolete by instand replay, but...)
    So managers who argue calls while his team is on offense accumulate mound visits??

- A throw to an occupied base counts the same as a pitch out (i.e. a ball)
    That's an interesting twist on my idea, but would lead to gigantic lead-offs and more stolen bases. If that is your intent, OK, but I'd rather see scoring via hitting the ball rather than guys constantly stealing bases. (go watch any 12 or 13 year old ball game.)

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I realize this is a touchy subject, but you asked, so: Standardize whether or not the DH is used. My personal preference is to get rid of it

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Standardize whether or not the DH is used. My personal preference is to get rid of it, but I understand the practical difficulty in that, so I'll accept everybody using it - just everybody use the same rules. I know some like the diversity between the leagues and the effect it has on interleague play and world series, but I'm not sold on that.
    I like this idea, although I'd go the other way and have both leagues use the DH. Obviously I'm in the minority on this one, but I hate watching pitchers bat. I'll admit, the added strategy of an NL game is interesting, but I'm not paying to see players who are either going to bunt or strike out on 3 pitches every time. I'd rather see guys who are paid to hit in the batter's box.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. Trading of draft picks for sure.
    2. Minimum and maximum salary cap.
    3. Relegation ala soccer. (I know... be careful with that one and near impossible with the current farm systems)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast